News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Ballybunion: Who, What and How?
« on: February 08, 2010, 04:17:29 AM »
Most folks seem to give T Simpson the credit for the course.  I have never been terribly convinced this is entirely accurate, but then I have never seen other names thrown into the ring with much gusto.  So far as I know, Simpson actually did very little at Ballybunion.  I believe he did the 7th, 9th & 13th greens plus the famed Mrs Simpson's bunkers on #1. 

Does anyone know more about Smyth who was worked for Carter & Sons?  Is there any relationship between this firm and the seed merchant? 

How bout Capt Lionel Hewson? 

How bout William McCarthy who was meant to have built the 16th and 17th plus many other changes? 

Is there anybody else in the frame?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Ballybunion: Who, What and How?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:39:12 AM »
Most folks seem to give T Simpson the credit for the course.  I have never been terribly convinced this is entirely accurate, but then I have never seen other names thrown into the ring with much gusto.  So far as I know, Simpson actually did very little at Ballybunion.  I believe he did the 7th, 9th & 13th greens plus the famed Mrs Simpson's bunkers on #1. 

Does anyone know more about Smyth who was worked for Carter & Sons?  Is there any relationship between this firm and the seed merchant? 

How bout Capt Lionel Hewson? 

How bout William McCarthy who was meant to have built the 16th and 17th plus many other changes? 

Is there anybody else in the frame?

Ciao

Sean:

Tom MacWood posted some info on Fred Smith in this thread (see replies #9 & #18):

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41528.0/

Dónal.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 07:40:50 PM »
Sean

I've heard a name of James McKenna in the mix ?

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:53:28 PM »
HERBERT WARREN WIND, THE SPORTING SCENE, “II-THE GREENS OF IRELAND,” THE NEW YORKER, APRIL 10, 1971, P. 100

ABSTRACT: THE SPORTING SCENE about golf courses in Ireland. Writer tells of his visit to Ballybunion. The town stands on the south shore of the Shannon estuary, facing the Atlantic. The golf club has not had the money to maintain it in first-class condition. There is also the problem of erosion to cope with. After the writer see it he says it is nothing less than the finest seaside course he's ever seen. Tells about his walk around the course which he did not play because of bad weather. Description of the course. The club was founded in 1896 but financial woes brought the organization down. It was re-formed in 1906 at which time Capt. Lionel Hewson, for many years the editor of the magazine "Irish Golf", built the 9 holes that became the basis of the present layout. In 1926, When the course was extended to 18 holes, the work was directed by a man named Smyth, a designer on the staff of Carter & Sons, a London firm. In 1936 Tom Simpson was brought in to remodel the course. Finally the course reflects the devotion of William J. McCarthy, a local solicitor & hotel owner, whose father was one of the club's founders. McCarthy, who is still active in the club, served for more than 2 decades as Ballybunion's honorary secretary and also performed the duties of a kind of resident architect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back