News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re: What will clubs and architects do
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2010, 08:39:20 PM »
To say that club X operates for 500k and club Y in the same area operates for 1 million is not a fair comparison.
The basics of the budget are set by the location and design of the course, area of greens, tees, fairways, turf types and bunkers; the quality of the playing surfaces dictates the final cost.

I do agree that maintenance budgets have been somewhat luxurious in the past. However due to the thousands of viewers of this site we should be careful throwing numbers out there as to what a budget total should be. The reality of a budget is what the line items are. Comparing %’s of budgets doesn’t work either due to what the line items and the number of them are from course to course Some courses pay for water and some don’t, some have leased equipment and some own the gear, some include the golf carts etc, etc, etc…..looking at individual budget line items is the only way to make a fair comparison, even if design and playing condition quality are similar.

What clubs and architects will do to make their course more attractive in the future… I hope tweak them and squeeze every bit of quality and fun possible out of them….

What would I do? If running a golf club, focus on golf, provide for the needs of the players and keep it simple. Simple affordable food and beverages probably no bevy cart but a food/bevy station on course, limited proshop and inventory, a few rental sets but no equipment sales leave that to retailers. Simple clubhouse with small lounge, washroom with change room, and at least one washroom on the course for those that need it, the fine dinning could be found at different establishment.  If the property would accommodate it, only a couple of carts for players that absolutely require it to play. Keep the maintenance pure for golf, lose the frilly items like gardens on course and keep the maintenance for the playing surfaces and necessary spots entering the club and the clubhouse surroundings, not the out of play areas or so it looks good along the fence line from the highways as you drive by at mach 1. Staff would be a big focus, hire less of them, train them thoroughly and pay them properly as they will make or break the operational success and keep the players happy. Be front and center as the leader and easily accessible  to staff and customers, keep the office door open and not hide out in it behind a receptionists followed by executive assistant and a closed door.

I'm with you Michael.

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back