News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Clayton

Re: Starting Tues., 2/2 - Get To Know Mike Clayton
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
JAY
 What makes a great golf writer?

I suppose it needs to be fun to read - something that brings the game to life.I loved Curt Sampson's Eternal Summer for that.

Great writers have opinions they justify with sensible,logical argument. I grew up reading Peter Thomson in The Age and he did it brilliantly.He was never scared to argue an unpopular case - e.g  against appearance money and the adoption of the American ball, disappointing play by Australians, the poor condition of The Old Course and more.
I think John Huggan is good at that - certainly one of the very few in Europe with an opinion worth reading.
Of course it is impossible to have a worthwhile opinion of you don't know and understand the game.

What makes a great sports broadcaster?
You have to know the game  - and the best I have heard is John McEnroe. He did the Australian Open for a few years and never boasted about how good he was - and he understood the mental and physical aspects of what was happening on the court.
I think former players who commentate have to forget they were players and be journalists reporting on what they see without worrying about what the players are saying about them in the locker room.
Cheerleading is no good for anyone - writing or talking.
It's the same with design - the last thing we need are people telling us everything is great.Constructive criticism is the most useful thing of all.

Dieter Jones

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 09:44:30 PM »
Pup, try reply 8 for the link
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2010, 12:23:46 AM »
bahahahahahaha  ;D

I saw that footage awhile ago and I've always wondered who it was!! Thanks dieter!

BTW Mike, what was the penalty for that?

Pup

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 01:54:21 AM »
 Forever being reminded of it.....

Cristian

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
BRIAN.

You appear to have overlooked Kevin's question a bit earlier about whether you thought there is any strategy in par 3's.  I'd be interested to hear the answer, again.
Let me get back to that one!!
Par threes are just holes that ask for a shot and keep the routing going by getting architects out of tricky corners!
Is there a strategy at 11 at Yarra - or just a demand for a high fade and a choice of playing at the pin or away from the pin? If that is strategy then par 3s have strategy.
The 9th at Peninsula asks for a high fade - but there is no strategy there - you just have to hit the shot and you either miss the green or hit the green. When 16 at Cypress Point is into a gale there is strategy - or choice of line and club - but its a par four in those conditions.

This answer interests and somewhat confuses me: Is it not true that any par 3 pin position for a player of sufficient length and accuracy could be accessed by a high fade? Perhaps par 3's with strategy are holes which can be accessed with another type of shot as well, especially for shorter or lesser players, even though for pro's the shot might still be the high fade. In other words the better the player the less strategy in par 3's; TW would probably hit a high faded 3 iron or something to CPC's 16th, wouldn't he? Does this conflict with your thoughts on strategy on par 3's?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »
Sorry I'm so late to the thread- but I was away till this week.

I was lucky enough to play multiple days with Mike and see a series of very different courses. I was very impressed with Mike and the work that he was doing. I think the changes at Victoria in particular are excellent.

Mike,

A couple if you don’t mind…

I’m a big fan of the new 11th at Metropolitan, I know you have plans to renovate the 12th fairly soon, could you share your ideas for the new hole.

I have seen the new 17th hole at Royal Adelaide. The scale and size of everything is very different from the existing course. I understand that your long term plan is to follow through on a lot of the ideas of the Mackenzie Plan. How you plan to adapt the more intimate settings like the 3rd hole. Will you get the chance to restore the crater setting?

Any chances you will rebuild the 7th at Commonwealth? Would you try reproducing the old hole or putting a new spin on a longer three?

I hope you eventually get to build the second course at St. Andrew’s Beach. I would love to come and see what you’ve built. Congratulations on your great play of late and thanks for being such a great host. I’m in your debt.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back