News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Metal spikes - bah!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »
It seems the only players that are allowed to wear metal spikes are on the various Pro Tours. And of them only a small percentage actually do wear them...maybe 5% tops? Seems like a minor issue when you consider only about 40-50 in the world still wear them consistently.
We are a soft spikes only course, occasionally someone slips through and we know very quickly when one person is wearing them. I think you only truly realise the benifits of a metal spike ban when you see the damage one player does. I noticed those Dubai greens on TV and the mess around the holes.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 09:54:05 AM »
It seems the only players that are allowed to wear metal spikes are on the various Pro Tours. And of them only a small percentage actually do wear them...maybe 5% tops? Seems like a minor issue when you consider only about 40-50 in the world still wear them consistently.
We are a soft spikes only course, occasionally someone slips through and we know very quickly when one person is wearing them. I think you only truly realise the benifits of a metal spike ban when you see the damage one player does. I noticed those Dubai greens on TV and the mess around the holes.

Well compared to the days when all players wore spikes and the greens were punched far more, one player slipping through is rather minor isn't it. Also, if a course signs up and agrees to host a major pro event I think a few holes punched in the greens (that would disappear in a week) are the least of their worries.
H.P.S.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 10:39:17 AM »

Well compared to the days when all players wore spikes and the greens were punched far more, one player slipping through is rather minor isn't it. Also, if a course signs up and agrees to host a major pro event I think a few holes punched in the greens (that would disappear in a week) are the least of their worries.
Pat - The point is that soft spikes dont do much damage to the greens surface and metal spikes produce those nasty spikemarks, which on creeping bent can really affect the run of the ball. Most damage occurs around the hole, some players that wear metal spikes dont create much of a problem, some are footdraggers or twisters, its even been suggested some do it purposely. It does no lasting damage, but that last metre around the hole is where balls are moving the slowest and its where a spikemark can interfer. Its nothing to do with a punch mark though.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »
Given the GCA membership, I think it would be intersting to hear from members who belong to clubs that still allow metal spikes.  Is it not true that very few UK clubs require softspikes?  How about Australia?

I also wonder about the very select group of U.S. clubs which feature as regular members a number of the old-school Tour players I mentioned earlier; does Steve Elkington, who HATES softspikes, play most of his golf at Champions?  What is the club's policy?  Whisper Rock?  How about the Madsion Club, or Las Colinas, where TAIII roams?  Is ANGC softspikes-only for some, but not others?

jonathan_becker

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 12:55:35 PM »
I agree with Rymer in Mike Young's #11 reply above.

Now I'm not saying that metal spikes should be reinstated at courses across the country for numerous reasons, but I would much rather putt through spike marks than softspike indentations.  It seems to me that the big softspike indentations cause putts to "lip out" when the ball travels over them and the ball gets kicked more off line than from hitting a spikemark. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
Funny.

I would think wearing spikes is a good way to get cheap year-round aeration!!  ;D

Michael Rossi

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »
Funny.

I would think wearing spikes is a good way to get cheap year-round aeration!!  ;D

More like free Verticutting.

I remember a course that would spread seed around the old cup after heavy play days with metal spikes. The wear around cups in late afternoon was horrific but made for a great seed bed.

Yesterdays superbowl made mention of firm and fast and cleats not being able to get a grip. Was the spike damage on greens that much less when the conditions were dry?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 03:33:20 PM »
I have been told that on the PGA Tour and USGA majors the players must wear soft spikes in the practice rounds but are allowed to wear metal spikes once the tournament begins.  I would be surprised if Whisper Rock permitted metal spikes but I have been wrong before.

JMEvensky

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
I have been told that on the PGA Tour and USGA majors the players must wear soft spikes in the practice rounds but are allowed to wear metal spikes once the tournament begins.  I would be surprised if Whisper Rock permitted metal spikes but I have been wrong before.

Is this right?

The local Tour event has no such rule,although it is on a TPC course which could matter.

As to USGA events,my place has held the last few Open Sectionals.We had to allow metal spikes in the qualifier and practice rounds.It's a non-issue for us.There's no harm to the greens and we allow the spikes only in the locker room.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »
We hold Europro events. 3rd tier in the UK  we also hold PGA quailifiers and sectional championships and its softspikes, if someone wants to use metal spikes they can rant and rave all they want but they dont tee it up. I would imagine very few people in the UK wear metal spikes anyway, I dont think they even stock them anymore in the pro shops, so anyone with metals has real old shoes.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Played a round on a 9 hole with a couple of buddies. The Asst Pro asked the one guy that he would have to change before we started the back 9. He raised a ruccus and made a bit of a scene,it was a private club that he used to be a member at. He was saying stuff like he had golfed for years and knew how to walk on the green in metal spikes blah blah blah. This guy was a bit of an arrogant ass. Anyways, we get to the 10th green and we could see EXACTLY the path he took around the greens as he was the only person in spikes. We laughed at him everytime we got to the next green. In his defence, he apologized at the end of the round.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:43 PM »
Betty White wears soft spikes.  I personally yearn for the days when men were men, and didnt bi--- about spike marks.  Enough with the holier than thou bull abt soft spikes.  I miss nails. 

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »
I to miss that wonderful sound..reminded me of the metal studs in my football boots..I miss them both!

Bruce Leland

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 08:16:26 AM »
I, too, am a fan of traditional spikes for wet conditions.  Granted, the soft spikes are more comfortable to walk in but they are a hell of alot more slippery walking on concrete and wet wooden bridge decks.  I would think clubs would be concerned for the liability of trips and falls with soft spikes.

On a side note, I always thought the worst spike mark damage from metal spikes came from those old FJ Classics when they had the tungsten inserts in them.  The outer metal surface would wear away and the smaller diameter tungsten insert was like a hypodermic needle!  Now THOSE were hard on carpet!!
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back