News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Jenkins

Re: Sagebrush Golf and Sporting Club - GCA Outing
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 11:26:57 PM »

I have spent a good part of the day sending some of you emails to confirm attendance and figure out who is on the "maybe" list who can confirm or not. It looks like we are close to finalizing this and we are in the area of 20 GCAers coming. If any of you are "on the fence" or still considering it, please email me asap at   bjenkins@jml.ca 

We will start to meet at Sagebrush at around 8:30 on Monday, August 9. We have the course all day and again on Tuesday and I have arranged dinner for those wishing to attend on the evening of August 9 at the Hideout. As Sean Leary and Rich Choi will tell you, dinner at the Hideout is one of those special evenings you will never forget. I expect Dick Z will be at dinner and he and his partner, Terry Donald, have been great hosts on several evenings for me this year.

For those of you coming from the coast, leave the Vancouver area on Highway #1, ie. the Trans-Canada, carry on through Hope onto the Coquihalla, which is Hwy. 5 east. On approaching Merritt, BC, you come down a large hill. Go past the exit to Kelowna, continue on for about a mile towards Kamloops and take the exit to Hwy. 5A which is to the Nicola Valley and Quilchena. You will see a WalMart and a Boston Pizza on the right. Go right on Hwy, 5A for about 15 minutes, Nicola Lake will be on your left. Just prior to the Quilchena Hotel, you will see a right turn up a hill into Sagebrush. Directions as to where to go after that are posted above.

If you are coming from the Kelowna area, travel on Hwy 97C west to Merritt. Just as you come down the hill into Merritt, take a right as if you are going to Kamloops. Go along for a mile or so and look for the next exit, which will be for Hwy 5A and the directions above will tell you where to go.

Hotels are set out in postings above and there should still be room in at least some of them. If you have a problem, please let me know and I will see what I can do.

I should point out that there is no cell phone coverage in Quilchena or at the golf course. There is coverage in Merritt. At Sagebrush, they have a land line you can use and the same at the Quilchena Hotel, which is a stones throw from the golf course.

The Nicola Valley, as I have mentioned above, is very arid. It is typically hot and very low humidity in the summer, although there can be the odd day with rain. Currently, and the forecast for the next week, shows temperatures of over 30C, ie. in the area of 90F for those of you south of the border. That is a perfect temperature for that area, considering the low humidity. Those from Kentucky will appreciate the weather.

I look forward to seeing you guys and know you will have a great time at Sagebrush. Dick Z. is also looking forward to meeting you and is a great host, along with his partner, Terry.

Regards,

Bob Jenkins

Garland Bayley

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2010, 12:05:18 AM »
Bob,

Is there a dress code that we should be aware of?
Any other conventions or codes that we should be aware of?

The Jawbone Creek Country Club team is looking forward to the event.

EDIT: Jawbone Creek is the precursor to Rock Creek Cattle Company. They even stole our logo.
I agree with many of these but I like Tommy's answer best.  It's certainly the best cow logo out there, although Rock Creek's will be a close second ... a cow skull.

Doesn't Jawbone Creek in Harlowton, MT already have a cow skull for their logo?

Garland:  Is there really such a place as Jawbone Creek?

Tom Doak,

"Oh yee of little faith!" :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:15:11 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 12:58:01 PM »
Bob,
Do you need current handicaps? Mine dropped about a stroke.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2010, 01:42:36 PM »

Garland,

At dinner, a Jacket, no tie required, but a freshly ironed dress shirt would look good.

Pete,

I have been thinking of how to put together a competition and will get back to you. I would not worry too much about bringing a handicap card. No one will check it. I know what you can do in any event! As Sean posted following our visit up there last week, you almost need a round on the course before you get your bearings. There are holes, such as the 5th, where you have to aim 20 yards left of the hole and 30 yards short to let it bounce into the green and until you actually see it, it is hard to describe. On the carts, there is information as to the ideal line for a drive and the yardage book also has info on that which is essential in some cases to avoid you heading directly into the rough.

On another, the par 3 dowhill 4th, you can play short and let it roll on or you can carry it to some locations on the green where it will stay. A back right pin is difficult to get to, and I think it would be even more difficult to play short and roll to that point. I would try to hit a high tee shot with a bit of fade that carries to the green and hopefully does not roll out too much. If you hit some spots on the hillside short, it can take off on you. Again, you have to see what is there.

I am babbling. This is goint to be a lot of fun!

Bob

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2010, 02:01:43 PM »
now drooling.

Jacket = sports coat? or something to keep warm?

Sean Leary

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2010, 02:07:21 PM »
now drooling.

Jacket = sports coat? or something to keep warm?

Pete,

An ascot would be perfect for you.

If you guys do do something competitionwise the first round, I would have some sort of a matchplay or Stableford...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2010, 02:49:58 PM »

If you guys do do something competitionwise the first round, I would have some sort of a matchplay or Stableford...

Perhaps a first round scramble would be in order, thereby allowing everyone to hit all the shots and see the various outcomes.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »

Garland,

Although I understand the reason for your suggestion, I simply could never suggest this group play in a scramble format, and personally, I promised myself I would do all possible, save for participating in some client charity scrambles, to avoid scrambles as much as possible. I cannot do it!

I think matches will be the way to go. I will work on some teams.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »

Perhaps a first round scramble would be in order, thereby allowing everyone to hit all the shots and see the various outcomes.

You're supposed to insert emoticons to let everyone know this is not a serious suggestion!  Is it?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »

Garland,

Although I understand the reason for your suggestion, I simply could never suggest this group play in a scramble format, and personally, I promised myself I would do all possible, save for participating in some client charity scrambles, to avoid scrambles as much as possible. I cannot do it!

I think matches will be the way to go. I will work on some teams.

I understand perfectly. I only suggested it because of Sean's suggestion not to keep score the first round. Since a scramble is about as illegitimate a score as you can get, it seemed close.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2010, 06:28:09 PM »

I have tried to make this post twice now but ran out of time and it was wasted. I will type faster this time.

This will likely be the last post by me before we meet at Sagebrush next Monday morning, August 9. Please try to be there by 9 am at the latest. I know a few of you are driving up from Vancouver that morning and may be a bit later. If you think you may be late, call the pro shop that morning at 250-378-9555.

TRAVEL FROM THE WEST

Total time, 2.5 - 3 hours from Vancouver depending on your departure point. Head east on Hwy #1 and continue out to the town of Hope, about 1.5 hours east of Vancouver. As you approach Hope you will see signs referring to the Coquihalla Hwy (Hwy#5) which is what you will want.You just carry on up the freeway onto #5 as Hwy #1 runs into it. Follow the signs and it is easy. Do Not carry on on Hwy #1 at Hope as it will take you up the Fraser Canyon and eventually to Tobiano. Go up the Coquihalla to Merritt. Going down the hill into Merritt, go past the exit to Kelowna about another mile to the next intersection. Take the exit to Hwy 5A, signs saying Nicola Valley and Quilchena resorts. There is a Walmart and a Boston Pizza in sight as you on the off ramp. Go to a stop sign and turn right onto 5A. Carry on about 15 minutes and Sagebrush will be on your right. Nicola Lake is on your left when you make the turn right up the hill into the course. If you see the old Quilchena Hotel, you have gone about 1 km too far. Go up the driveway about 200 yards and turn down to the right to the parking lot where you will find a bunch of golf carts. You will be met there, get into a cart and sent up to the pro shop where we can meet and depending on arrival times, set up our games.

TRAVEL FROM THE EAST - KELOWNA

Take Hwy 97C from Kelowna. It is about 1.5 hours from the bridge in Kelowna to Merritt, maybe a bit longer. Come down the hill into Merritt and follow the signs to Kamloops. Do not take the Vancouver exit. Keep going to the next interchange which will be the exit to Hwy 5A which is described above and follow the same directions. Look for the WalMart for the proper exit.

WEATHER

It has been very hot and dry in that area for at least the last month. It is supposed to cool a bit on the weekend but not much. Possibility of some showers but not likely. In the evening you may want a windbreaker but that is also not likely. The valley is generally in the 30C range in the summer, ie. close to 90F which is where it has been for a minimum for the last several weeks.

GOLF

There is likely time for 36 each day. Lunch at the Hideout is included. Dinner is at 7 pm in the Hideout and is a great place to get together. I have deposits from many of you with a few more to come. I will pay the club for your dinner from the deposits and yuor drinks and booze will be on your own tab with the club. Dick Zokol and his partner, Terry Donald, will likely be at dinner and I expect they would love to talk about the course, its planning, history as to how it came together and more. Dick and Terry are very hospitable hosts and their passion for the place is obvious.  I recommend, for your first round, you not play from the black tees as it is a course you need to experience at least once to become accustomed to safe locations on the fairways, etc. The fairways are very wide but you need to have the correct line off the tee and it is not always what it appears to be. We can set up more matches for the afternoon.

TUESDAY

Several of you are staying over and we will meet again by 8:30 on Tuesday.

CELL PHONES

There is no cell coverage at Sagebrush. You can use the land line at the pro shop.There is wifi at the Old Quilchena Hotel next door.

GAS

It is about 80 mi. (120 km) from Hope or Kelowna to Merritt and there are no gas stations after leaving Hope or Kelowna until you get to Merritt so make sure you have at least half a tank before setting out.

If you want to take an afternoon off, feel free to go to the hotel to arrange a riding tour of the area or go visit the Douglas Lake Ranch,, about 25 minutes away. It is the largest ranch in North America, over 500,000 acres, and they have a village with a general store, etc. Very cool.

Please email me or mail through GCA if you have questions. I suspect I have forgotten some necessary information.

I look forward to seeing all of you!!!

Bob Jenkins

Ted Harris

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2010, 01:59:15 AM »
Thanks for the update Bob - will see you at the course sometime before 9am on Monday - won't be late

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »

Bump.

Just want to make sure that everyone has directions, etc.

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2010, 02:39:07 PM »
For those of you who haven't played Sagebrush it is an experience you will not soon forget.  And if you are unable to make Bob's event next week I will be hosting a small group at Sagebrush September 10th through 13th.  Feel free to email if you're interested in more details. 

Enjoy your trip gentlemen!

Andrew

Jordan Wall

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »
Is there a list of particpants?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »
At  the Ramada.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:30:16 AM by Pete_Pittock »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2010, 01:35:04 AM »
Managed a 14 hole preview this afternoon with Bob, Jordan Wall, & Ryan Admussen.  Can't wait til tomorrow.

Gates open means no cattle playing through.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2010, 06:39:48 PM »
Rain, rain go away.

Sean Leary

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2010, 07:16:31 PM »
Rain, rain go away.

That is too bad....

Matt Bosela

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »
Please tell me you guys got to play yesterday!  Getting rain or storms there is awful luck, considering how little precipitation the area gets on an annual basis...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »
Please tell me you guys got to play yesterday!  Getting rain or storms there is awful luck, considering how little precipitation the area gets on an annual basis...

Still stormy...

Richard Choi

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »
Man, do I feel lucky I got to play in almost perfect conditions a couple of weeks ago...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
Yesterday it didn't rain until after the first group left the hideout. Weather took the normal route and 17-18 played into a 2 club wind. Rain got steadily heavier and then the darn front swung round and came at us a second time. Visibiltity dropped to under a mile and we were next to the car park when I dropped out, knowing the Tuesday forecast was just as dreary. Needed to dry out. Today started out threatening and spurting, but after about 9 holes  we started shedding layers.
Forced to quit after 18 and lunch, headed to the ER to check my R ankle after a jack and jill into the bunker on my 18th (Hole #5).
Update: 4 1/2 hours, $750 and no golf until October, Chipped a bone.

Really liked the course, Great greens, good routing. May have one of the best green (and complex) anywhere I've been with #9, my five putt not-withstanding. After two strikes with the putter I was 19 paces away and the ball hadn't been within 30 feet of the hole.

The Hideout is in the running for the best halfway yurt, and we had a tour of the best little pumphouse in BC. Thanks to Bob for setting this up and to Richard and Terry for allowing it to happen.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:18:03 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »

Only got in 24 yesterday but made up for it today with 63!

Can't say enough about the place, it is just flat out fun golf that makes you want more and that's all I need. The dinner/lunches at the hideout are a great experience as well.

Thanks for setting this up Bob, it was great meeting everyone!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »
Ryan,

How did you put the turbocharger on your cart? Mine had a governor that kept me at an old man's pace.

Bob,

It was wonderful. Bob kept saying how it was so much better than Desert Canyon today.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back