News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Jenkins

Sagebrush Golf and Sporting Club - GCA Outing
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »

Thanks to Dick Zokol, I have been able to arrange a GCA Event for Sagebrush for Monday, August 9, 2010 and possibly the following day as well, depending on numbers. Matt Bosela posted many photos and a narrative last year and his thread is at  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41154.0.html   In addition. the club website is at  www.sagebrushgolf.com
Sagebrush is one heck of a lot of fun and respresents a lot of the features that are popular on this site. The course was designed by Rod Whitman with Dick Zokol and Armen Suny. Jeff Mingay of this group was also involved in the design.

Ran has also given us his blessing for the event.

WHERE?

Sagebrush is located about 15 miles north of Merritt, British Columbia. It is approximately 2.5 hours east of Vancouver. Also, Kelowna B.C. is approximately the same distance from Sagebrush, and sits further east in the Okanagan Valley. There are direct flights to Vancouver from many US cities and also from across Canada. There are also direct flights to Kelowna from Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle (Horizon Air - part of Alaska Airlines).

HOW MUCH?

Green fees for the day are $100 (all prices $ Canadian). In addition, dinner is $30 plus your booze costs. Dinner is at the Hideout, which is on a lake towards the back of the property. There are several great pics of the Hideout on the website. I will collect deposits at a date to be determined and once I have a feel for how many GCAers may attend. Play at Sagebrush is by invitation and as a result, there is limited play on the course. Generally, I believe the course is limited to about 40 golfers per day.

Dick Zokol has indicated that if schedules permit, he will join us to play a few holes with each group and join us for dinner.

OTHER WORTHWHILE COURSES IN THE VICINITY

Sagebrush is fairly remote and it would make sense, if someone is travelling, to fit in one or more other courses. The closest is definitely Tobiano, which is now in it's third year and sits just west of Kamloops B.C. and is about a 40 minute drive. www.tobianogolf.com  Tobiano is a Thomas McBroom design and is quite spectacular. Reviews have been mixed and the course tends to be extremelyh winding in the afternoons. It is very difficult in the wind.

Predator Ridge - Predator is near Vernon, B.C, in Okanagan Valley, about 2-2.5 hours away from Sagebrush. The second course, which will be called the Ridge Course, is opening in July. Designed by Doug Carrick, it certainly looks interesting. The Predator course is a Les Furber design and was built in the early 1990s. There is an excellent resport at Predator Ridge. I am a member and am working on getting a break on green fees which will depend on how many people attend. More later. There is plenty of accommodation at the resort as well.   See   www.predatorridge.com  There are also many other courses in the Okanagan Valley, the best of which is likely Fairview Mountain, near Oliver, and some of the courses near Osoyoos, which sits at the US/Canada border.

Vancouver obviously has several courses worth playing if you come through that area.

ACCOMMODATION AT SAGEBRUSH

The old Quilchena Hotel sits within a few hundred yards of the entrance to the course. It is ancient, over 100 years old, and is full of character and is reasonable.   www.quilchena.com

In Merritt, the best would be the Ramada. Dick advises that he expects to be able to get us some reduced rates. Again, depending on numbers, the rates could change but the Ramada would not be out of anyone's price range but still okay. Merritt is not exactly a resort town!

Right now, we are looking for expressions of interest. Based on discussions I have had with some, the turnout looks promising and I know some locals from BC are interested. The travelling man from Kentucky, who was my travelling companion at Buda last year, has indicated his intent to come as have others including the world famous Jordan Wall, Seattle's own Sean Leary and Portland's Pete Pittock.  Sagebrush is an experience you will remember for a long time. Last summer, Will McEwan and I spent a day up there and we were smiling all the way around.

Please feel free to email or IM me or post your interest on this thread. I would be pleased to answer more questions.

Regards,

Bob Jenkins

Ryan Admussen

Re: Sagebrush Golf and Sporting Club - GCA Outing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »
Definitely interested, was going to try and make it out there this summer anyways, amazing deal at $100 too!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 08:24:03 AM »
Thanks for the very kind invitation.  I'm very interested, but my ability to attend will probably depend on whether I'll need to be on the West Coast for work in August -- so count me as a maybe. 
Thanks again

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »

Bump.

Considering the several response received over the weekend, it looks as though we will have a good turnout in August!

Let's keep this going for the time being to get an estimate of our numbers.

Thanks.

Bob J

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:24:27 PM »
I would enjoy making a trip to the homeland to check out Sagebrush and chill will the peeps from the treehouse - just not sure if it will fit into the sched yet.

Very kind to put this out there - thanks Bob!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:26:34 PM »
I have to warn you Robb. If you go, Jordan Wall might want to hug you!
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:31:36 PM »
Will we be the only two guys attempting to walk the course?  ???  ;)

I know it can be done! Ok, maybe we'll need to hitch a lift once or twice, but it'll be worth it.

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »
Wow, great outing Bob! I am very much interested if there is space.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:19 AM »
I'm definitely in.  Hopefully we're able to play Sagebrush both Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks for arranging this, Bob.

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:18:50 AM »
I'm definitely in.  Hopefully we're able to play Sagebrush both Monday and Tuesday.

John,

Case in point!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 10:12:24 AM »

John,

Case in point!

You need to come out there too! 

George Freeman

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »
I'm definitely in.  Hopefully we're able to play Sagebrush both Monday and Tuesday.

John,

Case in point!

You need to come out there too!  

If there was even the slightest chance I could, I would be alllll over it...but unfortunately there is not.

Already looking forward to hearing the GCAer's opinions of the course, the fun times had and great pics posted!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »
Bob,
Thanks. This is still on my calendar. I will be driving up from Portland and can take one or two passengers.

Richard Choi

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »
Pete, I may take you up on that offer.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »
I may be able to drive someone from Vancouver for those flying in.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
I'm going to try and join the group.
For me the timing is tough, but I have a great interest in seeing the course.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »

It's great seeing the interest in Sagebrush. I am heading out of town for a day but by Friday will post a list of confirmed and those interested but not confirmed. There is no problem with us also getting access on Tuesday the 10th of August.

Ian, is there anything happening, that you can tell us about, at the proposed course east of Predator Ridge?

Bob Jenkins

Ian Andrew

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »
Nothing as of yet.

"All is quiet on the Western Front"   ;D

Ted Harris

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
Bob - I would be interested in this outing if there are still spots available
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:01:02 PM by Ted Harris »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 09:05:30 PM »

My apologies for not bumping this earlier. We are still on track for August 9 and 10 at Sagebrush. Dick Zokol has confirmed that the course will be made available to us not only for Monday August 9 but also on Tuesday August 10. Dinner at the course on August 9 is also confirmed on the terms set out in my original post.

We currently have 10 confirmed GCA members plus another 10 maybes, several of whom are strong maybes. Room is available at the Quilchena Hotel adjacent to the course and the Merritt BC Ramada Inn. I was travelling through Merritt last weekend and I can also recommend the Best Western Nicola Inn. Merritt is about 15 minutes from Sagebrush.

I have also booked times on the weekend before this event at Predator Ridge. On Saturday August 7 we have an 11:00 and 11:10 on the new Doug Carrick course, called the Ridge Course and on Sunday August 8 I have times at 9:00 and 9:10 on the Predator course, which is a Les Furber course and the original course at Predator Ridge. The drive from Predator Ridge to Sagebrush is about 2-2.5 hours so there should be plenty of time to arrive in Merritt / Sagebrush on the evening of August 8. I have room for 4 golfers for each of the times at Predator Ridge mentioned above. Green fees are approximately $100 Canadian. Having left my notes at the office I do not have the exact price at hand. Please advise if you can also join us at Predator Ridge.

Dick Zokol has forwarded a video which will hopefully show up as a link on this posting. Sagebrush is a very, very special place which will be a destination for GCA members for a long time. We still have room for more, just reply here or email me at bjenkins@jml.ca . Here is the link. I will be posting names of those attending and likely attending during the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muxKLMGxO9A

John Mayhugh

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »
Bob,
Have you talked with any of the hotels about a rate discount?  Rates seem pretty reasonable, but before booking anything I thought it worth asking.

The Quilchena looks like an interesting place.  Their own 9 hole course, RV park, & cattle ranch.  Quite the combination.
http://www.quilchena.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=11&Itemid=63

Jordan Wall

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »
Who is on the confirmed list so far?

What is the legal drinking age in Canada?

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 07:45:11 PM »
Who is on the confirmed list so far?

What is the legal drinking age in Canada?

19 in BC

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 07:58:37 PM »

John Mayhugh,

The rates seem reasonable because Merritt is not exactly a destination area. It is very arid and really has blossomed as a result of the main freeway from Vancouver to the Okanagan Valley going past Merritt. I was up there last weekend and the Ramada and the Best Western Nicola Valley are most reasonable and are also quiet and pleasant but are basically a place to sleep. The Quilchena is very old and full of character and is adjacent to the course.

Jordan,

The legal drinking age in BC is 19 as Ryan mentioned. That is why I am surprised you have not been up here lately.

I will post details on who is confirmed etc. in the next few days.

Bob Jenkins

Will MacEwen

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »
Bob,
Have you talked with any of the hotels about a rate discount?  Rates seem pretty reasonable, but before booking anything I thought it worth asking.

The Quilchena looks like an interesting place.  Their own 9 hole course, RV park, & cattle ranch.  Quite the combination.
http://www.quilchena.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=11&Itemid=63

The Quilchena has quite a bit of charm.  If anyone is interested in sharing a double room, send me a pm.  I stock the room with beer for anyone who puts up with me.

For those who are on the fence, Sagebrush is not to be missed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back