News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Admussen

Re: Sagebrush Golf and Sporting Club - GCA Outing
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »
Bob,

I'm in for both days at Sagebrush, and for the Saturday round on the ridge course if there is still room, thanks!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 12:32:01 AM »
Who is on the confirmed list so far?

What is the legal drinking age in Canada?

Jordan,

Do you hug people more or less often after drinking?

I'm bringing a buddy, and I need to know what type of warning I should give him.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »
Bob, please put me down for Sat and Sun rounds as well. Thanks for organizing this.

Bob Jenkins

Re: Sagebrush Golf and Sporting Club - GCA Outing - June Update!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »

It is time to update and bump this thread. I spent two days at Sagebrush last week and I continue to see characteristics in the course that are right up the alley of most of us on this website. It is more fun than any golf course I have played in a long while (and that includes a lot of good ones) and is true to the ground game and other attributes of the old links courses, even though the course is several hundred miles from the Pacific.

Here is the current status of the event. Keep in mind earlier posts regardiing info on the site, location, places to stay and more.

Okay, here goes:

- Those who have indicated they are coming, without reservation, who are members of this site, are:
             - Me
             -Will McEwan
             -Jordan Wall
             -Dale Jackson
             -Jason Giesbrecht (Jason is the head pro at Royal Colwood and a good friend of Dale Jackson of this site0
             -Pete Pittock
             -John Mayhugh
             -Garland Bayley and friend,
             -Sandy Smith
             -Chris DeNegris (very strong maybe)
             -Gregory Murphy and friend, Randyy Marquardt
             -Richard Choi
             -Ted Harris and friend
             -Ryan Admussen
             -Carl Nichols

That gets us to 17 plus a strong maybe of Chris Denegris. The "Maybees" include:
             -Sean Leary
             -Lou Duran
             -Ian Andrew
             -Rob Rigg
             -a few others who will go unnamed for the time being.

So I am looking at a few dropping out, a few dropping in, and a few other question marks and end up thinking we will have between 20 and 25 members and a few friends at the event.

The earlier posts have mentioned places to stay etc. If possible, the Quilchena Hotel is the closest and is full of character. I stayed there last week and have no hesitation in recommending the place, even though it is over 100 years old. It is about .5 kilometer (less than 1/2 mile from Sagebrush. There is no cell phone coverage at Sagebrush or Quilchena although there is wi-fi at the hotel and land lines for phones at the golf course and at the hotel. At the other hotels mentioned above, there is wi-fi and in Merritt there is full cell coverage, albeith it is a 15 minute drive from the golf course.

DEPOSITS

Dick Zokol has asked me to collect green fees and dinner payments which I will do and then pass on to Sagebrush. As mentioned above, the fees for play for a day are $100 Canadian plus taxes (ie. a total of $112). That will get you all the golf you want for a full day. There are no tee times and Dick and his crew only allow at most 40 or so people on the course each day. So if you want to play both days, the cost will be $112 per day. Payment to me and I will pay the club.

Dinner is $30 (plus 12% HST tax) or $33.60 Canadian and believe me, it is more than worth it. Dinner at the Hideout, catch a few trout before dinner, great and I mean GREAT steak dinners with a gourmet chef are more than worth $30. I will need prior payment for dinner if you are planning on being there, more to come below. I see dinner for our group on Monday August 9 and if some of you are looking to dinner the night before, please contact me. There is a great restaurant at the Quilchena Hotel which is an option for Sunday August 8.

All beer, wine and other booze at the dinner are on your tab and the Sagebrush people will take care of that. I will make sure you get fed if you send me a deposit. So if you are coming for two full days of golf plus one day of dinner, it comes to $200 for golf plus $30 for dinner plus 12% HST (ie; tax). Considering the cost without being sponsored, this is cheap and you will be on a golf course you will love. That much I am comfortable with.

Please email me with your intentions at  bjenkins@jml.ca  and I will respond. I will also then provide you with an address to send the deposit. I suspect it may be an issue with those of you south of the border when considering payment in Canadian dollars. As the exchange rate for Canadian with the US $ has recently been between $.945 and $.99 if you send me a cheque or bank draft in US funds, I will set aside any difference to the purchase of prizes and to provide additional beer for the young Jordan Wall (drinking age up here is 19), as well as many prizes which will be available and will be uniquely Canadian.

There is room for up to ten more players to please get back to me asap. My email address is above and I look forward to hearing from all of you. This is really going to be a big batch of fun!

Bob Jenkins.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 01:42:03 AM »
We recently surrounded Mayhugh by lefties in our foursome in Bandon. 

I just checked. We could do this to Mayhugh with Will McEwan, Ian Andrew, and myself. Unfortunately Ryan Admussen claims to be left handed, but doesn't stand on the right side of the ball to play golf.

To add insult to injury, he would not only have to put up with left-handers, but also bad golfing left-handers from a couple of us.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 02:19:08 AM »
Bob,

Very kind and generous to have this going.  Not to mention cool, but alas can't do it all.  I will make it up there someday...

We expect a full report with all the dirty details  ;)

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Will MacEwen

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »
I will likely be driving through Vancouver on my own on the Sunday, so if anyone is flying in that day I can drive them up and back on Tuesday night.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »
Bob,
Thank you for the update and looking forward to the experience. I've had room reservations for a while.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »
Anyone interested in a Sunday afternoon round at Tobiano?

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »

I have made a minor Boo-boo. Dick has reminded me that dinner is $40 not $30. My apologies.

Bob J

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »

I have made a minor Boo-boo. Dick has reminded me that dinner is $40 not $30. My apologies.

Bob J

That's a deal breaker Bob  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »

Thanks to Dick Zokol, I have been able to arrange a GCA Event for Sagebrush for Monday, August 9, 2010 and possibly the following day as well, depending on numbers. Matt Bosela posted many photos and a narrative last year and his thread is at  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41154.0.html   

I had the good fortune of playing with Matt Bosela at Ballyneal last weekend, and suggested that he propose to Ran that his thread be converted to a My Home Course profile in the "In My Opinion" section.  That way it could be located quickly for a profile and photos of Sagebrush.

I do wish I could make this, Bob, thanks for organizing this fantastic outing, but will (un)fortunately be enmeshed in family affairs in Portland that weekend!

Regards,
Bill

Richard Choi

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »
Ryan, I may take up on your offer at Tobiano. I am trying to decide whether or not to make a whole weekend out of this...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 04:32:25 PM »
I'd be willing to play Tobiano on Sunday.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 12:59:58 PM »
Bob:
Thanks again for organizing this and for the invitation.  As I indicated above, I was a maybe depending on whether I'd be on the West Coast for work -- and it unfortunately doesn't look like I'll be out there in August.  So please don't hold a spot for me.
Thanks again,
Carl

Robert Thompson

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
Damn, I'm there the previous week!
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »
Bob got my deposit ($240) yesterday. I'll have to miss Tobiano on the Sunday before, but will likely catch Tobiano and Predator Ridge afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:53:41 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »
Anyone wishing to play other area courses after Sagebrush please IM me.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »
Only 2 weeks away!

Any idea when we will be starting on Monday? Debating if I can drive from Kelowna in the morning.

Rob Miller

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »
Tobiano deserves a look for those that have time to make the trip.  Definitely worth the effort to get out there. 

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »

Hello!

I will post more over the weekend but Ryan, we can start whenever we like. I will be making an assignment for groups in the next few days. There are no tee times at Sagebrush, only approximate times as to when you want to arrive. As breakfast at the nearby Quilchena Hotel starts at 7:30, I think most of us should try to meet up at around 8:30 and then get off to the races.

On arriving, the procedure is different than at most courses. On entering the premises, go up the hill and take the first turn to the right into a parking lot. You will see plenty of carts and nearby the maintenance shed. I will be there or one of Sagebrush's gang will be there to direct you where to go, which will be up the road to the first yert up the hill, which is the clubhouse for the time being. It is just a matter of jumping into a cart, getting your clubs secured and going up the hill. At the yert, we will set out the procedure and the games.

More over the weekend. I will be up there tomorrow with a few who cannot make it over the time of the GCA event and will report back to you. Please email back to me or Imail to confirm you are coming. I have deposits from several of you. The course is currently running the usual fast and firm and there is no doubt in my mind you will love the place. There are still some people here who have given me a "maybe" who I need to hear from.

Regards,

Bob J

John Mayhugh

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »
I'll be there.

How's the participant list looking?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 07:43:08 PM »
If anyone is coming thru Spokane on the weekend before, I'd love to meet up and have a game on Saturday or Sunday.

Indian Canyon is always fun as well as Circling Raven.

Kalen

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 09:50:04 PM »
Kalen,
My compass is spinning (paging Capt. Sparrow) and I can't find north to get to Sagebrush directly. After a Wednesday morning round with the esteemed Mr McBride here in sunny Portland I am heading your way that afternoon. I have a full day of golf at Rock Creek Cattle Co on Friday. I could squeeze in Circling Raven on Saturday (mid-late morining?) on my next leg, but have to be in Grand Forks BC Saturday night.
Let me know if this works.

Peter

Bill_McBride

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 10:18:09 PM »
Kalen,
My compass is spinning (paging Capt. Sparrow) and I can't find north to get to Sagebrush directly. After a Wednesday morning round with the esteemed Mr McBride here in sunny Portland I am heading your way that afternoon. I have a full day of golf at Rock Creek Cattle Co on Friday. I could squeeze in Circling Raven on Saturday (mid-late morining?) on my next leg, but have to be in Grand Forks BC Saturday night.
Let me know if this works.

Peter

Life is cruel.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back