News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Snowmageddon
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
THE CAPS ARE THE BEST!

Enjoy your regular season victories...Pens taking out the Caps in the playoffs is becoming a spring ritual rivaling groundhog Day.

:)

Took me 5 hours to shovel my driveway on Saturday, and now they're saying more is on the way. Guess the golf courses will have plenty of water this year, anyway!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 04:01:36 PM »
THE CAPS ARE THE BEST!

Enjoy your regular season victories...Pens taking out the Caps in the playoffs is becoming a spring ritual rivaling groundhog Day.

Once this snow melts, those in the DC area should congregate for a Caps fans vs Pens fans match prior to a playoff game.  There's waaaaay to many Pittsburgh people around here.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
Davey - you are wise beyond your years! (okay I exaggerate  :)).  I've been worried about my roof for three days.  I'm starting to get ice dam evidence.  I fully expect to lose power tomorrow (my power lines are dangling from my house, tangled in a half-fallen tree from Saturday's storm).  PEPCo has just 100,000 customers in front of me (I miraculously still have power but the 30-40mph winds predicted for tomorrow will surely correct that).  To think that next week I'll be in S Africa playing golf is, right now, beyond comprehension.  I wonder the state of my house when I return.

PS - It's starting to snow again..... 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
Jonathan,
Dave gave you great advice. I don't know anything about your building but it is possible that you can find out the snow load that it was designed to handle. That'll be in pounds per sq. ft. The way it's checked to see if it's safe is to gather up a sq. ft. of snow and any ice that's under it from the roof, melt it down, and then weigh the water.  If you're worried you should get a roofing contractor to look at soon.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Will MacEwen

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 06:06:17 PM »
For contrast, the Winter Olympics kick off in Vancouver on Friday.  You could play 36 a day in a light sweater right now.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »
Dave,
I'm declaring you an honorary Buffalonian. 

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 03:42:51 PM »
UNCLE !!

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 04:11:53 PM »
What did you guys get today? We got a measly 6-8 inches, barely took me an hour to shovel my driveway. Ha, I laugh such trifling amounts!

We're supposed to get even more this weekend.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 04:15:43 PM »
We're having an El Nino out west with warm temps and relativly warm rain.  Even here in Utah at 4500 feet I haven't had any significant snow to shovel in 1.5 months now and my yard is completely snow free at the moment.  ;D

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
Hey - over 50" in my backyard.  In places it's up to my chest.  Laugh at DC all you want but this just doesn't happen here!  Snowmaggen is turning into Snowapocolypse!  Add insult to injury, the club just sent us all emails telling us that the restaurant (and bar!) will be closed for another 2 days.  Geez - I can't even go out to the club for a drink to look longingly out the picture windows at the course (as if I could get there...the soft blanketted white mound in my driveway I think is my car!)

JC
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:11:05 PM by Jonathan Cummings »

PThomas

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
i didnt think i had any room for more hatred for winter, but i found out this winter i did.....

i always tell my wife that there IS NO FREAKING WAY i could stay in CHicago all year round when we retire..unless she wants me to do a Jack Nicholson-Shining thing..

which makes me wonder:  i wonder if any golfer has ever cracked up in the winter due to lack of playing for months at a time...stuck inside, not doing his favorite thing....

i'm getting depressed just typing this
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 05:08:55 PM »
Paul,

Not as depressing as when it is summer and you can't do your favorite thing!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Mike Cirba

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »
We live on a mountain....I think we got a light dusting of 30 inches today.   Nice.

We had to shovel in thirds.   We may be here for days.

I've never seen so much snow in one storm in my life.   

Three weeks ago, I played my first golf round of the year with Joe Bausch at Cobb's Creek and hit the ball better than I have in years due to a Jeff Sluman induced setup change.   I swear that must have caused all this.

And now... worst of all...I've gotta sit inside and deal with Tom MacWood.   :o

Speaking of "The Shining", I'm thinking more in terms of "Apocalypse Now"...

"The Horror....the Horror....."

PThomas

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »
and dont forget that Nicholson is a golfer...not sure what kind of grip he had on the axe here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TVooUHN7j4&feature=related

Joe Bausch

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 09:44:54 AM »
Some visual evidence of the two storms recently here near Villanova, PA:

Won't be any golf around here for a few days.  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
'tain't nuthin'.

A.   I've got just as much; and

B.  You have a snowblower.

Did you figure out the trick where you park your car in front of your driveway so the snowplow has to go around you and doesn't dump all that street-sludge crap on the bottom of your driveway?  It's worth the ticket, even if you get caught.

Oh, wait, I forgot...it doesn't matter because you have a snowblower.  I couldn't tell from the pictures:  is it pink, by chance?   ;D   

Real men shovel!   ;)

The neighbor I share a driveway with is a heckuva guy:   he owns the snowblower!  So while he does the uphill runway from our places, my wife and I do the area around the cars the old-fashioned way.  Not a bad deal.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PThomas

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 10:04:13 AM »
another tip:  leave the cars in the driveway, cause then you wont have to shovel where the cars were parked ;)

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »
There will be no spring golf in PA. Once this stuff melts (in April) any course with water running through it will be underwater!

George Pazin

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 11:55:27 AM »
Looks like we got a good bit more than our fightin' Philly brethren. :) On the plus side, it only took about 45 minutes to shovel the driveway today, so we're temporarily back to normal Burgh winter. We're supposed to get more snow this weekend as well.

Another thought for those not well-versed with snow: if you have to venture out, be prepared. Things like extra gloves, boots, water, salt and even a shovel are worth throwing in the car.

PThomas

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 11:58:09 AM »

Another thought for those not well-versed with snow: if you have to venture out, be prepared. Things like extra gloves, boots, water, salt and even a shovel are worth throwing in the car.

some elderly couple out west about a month ago got lost and stranded for three days but survived cause they had things like the above in their car

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2010, 11:59:40 AM »
East Kent had another dump of snow today closing the Open threesome for the third time this winter.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Rossi

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
What you guys are getting is normal accumulations for a lot of other parts of the world. Get yourself a snowblower and a sled, call in sick to work and get out and enjoy it. 

I would shovel the roof often but usually only the edges to stop the ice build up, notice no eves troughs.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:07:40 PM by Michael Rossi »

Tim Nugent

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »
Too funny.  Snow Dam tip - pay attention to the downspout.  It the outlet is frozen shut, any meltwater will just backup inside and freeze into a solid plug.  Use hot water from a hose from the bottom.  Use water softner rock salt along the edge to melt the gutter/roof valleys - not the little driveway stuff.  Watch along the ceiling/inside wall joint for dampness - the 1st sign that you are screwed.
Coasting is a downhill process

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back