News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Snowmageddon
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:42:43 AM »
I had to laugh at AOL's news bite "DC Mid-Atlantic bracing for Snowmageddon".  I'm in Bethesda and it's lived up to its hype - 20 inches and still snowing hard.  Unusually cold and snowy winter around here which has prevented any golf for the past 2 months or so.  I'm off week after next to follow the trail of Steve Lavellee, Ran and Ben for 18 days in S. Africa.  Hope to well sate this golfing cabin fever.....

JC 

PCCraig

Re: Snowmageddon
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:58:13 AM »
Oh you guys down in DC, Northern Va., and the Carolina's are so soft!!  :) :) :) ;)

20" of snow in Chicago would still require some serious thought by administrators to cancel school or not!

This may be the first time in a long time that your area of the country has gotten more snow in a winter than us.
H.P.S.

Bill Rocco

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:49:47 AM »
I am in one of the states that is getting the storm....people are losing their mind (closing business, banks). Where I was born anything under 3 feet of snow was just consider a storm not a "snowmageddon". Buy a truck, put the 4 wheel drive on and have some fun....

Paul Carey

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »
My last round was a few weeks ago between snow storms at Four Streams.  The snow mounds do make a good cooler for the beer and just because the clubhouse is closed we still had some burgers.  The subject is Mr. Bushby of Lake Bushby at Four Streams.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:08:15 PM »
What shot would you play from here? It's a pretty tight fairway with plenty of mailboxes on either side.
Who cares if Chicago has big shoulders. Right now, it sucks in Maryland.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »
What shot would you play from here? It's a pretty tight fairway with plenty of mailboxes on either side.
Who cares if Chicago has big shoulders. Right now, it sucks in Maryland.

"Honey get my snowshoes!!!!"   :) ;D
H.P.S.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 05:15:21 PM »
It's going to be Snovechkin for the Pens tomorrow afternoon!!

rboyce

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »
Went for a run today and could see just the tops of the flags on the putting green. How tall are those things - two feet? If so, we got 24 inches.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
Went for a run today and could see just the tops of the flags on the putting green. How tall are those things - two feet? If so, we got 24 inches.

Now that requires some explanation.  How do you run in 2 feet of snow?
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
Just get out there in snow, its not a problem.  Here's a shot from my adventure in the snow today!!   ;D

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 07:22:58 AM »
I'm down just off the Potomac, the sun is rising, it's 18 degrees, the trees are fossilized in snow and it's friggin' beautiful.  JC

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 08:27:23 AM »
It's a lot of snow, but the round-the-clock, six-channel local news coverage was more than a little ridiculous.  Several channels decided to preempt the national feed .... including the tournament at Riviera (whatever it's called these days). 

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
Carl - AGREE!  I was looking forward to watching golf and was pissed it was pre-empted by snow depth measurements every 15 minutes.  JC

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 11:08:31 AM »
It's going to be Snovechkin for the Pens tomorrow afternoon!!

Go Pens!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »
Flemma - you're in NYC - go love your Rangers and Islanders - don't get in this fight - GO CAPS!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »
Crosby and Ovechkin are unbelievably great and bring out the best in each other's play.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 03:47:11 PM »
One thing I remember about living in the snow belts off Lake Erie and all their snow..  It takes a LONG time for courses to dry out in the spring.  You have two feet of snow sitting on top of frozen turf.  And we could get another foot on Wednesday.  That's a lot of H2O that needs to go somewhere.

Get your waterproof shoes and cheap slacks ready for the spring!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
THE CAPS ARE THE BEST!

JSlonis

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »
This has been a historic winter around here.  Only twice in recorded history have we had two storms with over 10" of snow and this year we've had two storms with over 24".  UGH!!!  Somebody call Al Gore, we need a heat wave and quick. ;)

Steve Lang

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
 8) Hey you guys freak out with two inches of snow  , just be safe.. it will al be a pleasant memory some day..  I woner how my old neighborhood iun Silver Spring looks
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 05:56:11 PM »
Another 12-20 inches tomorrow night??  You must be friggin kidding.  Is DC the new UP???

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »
I guess all the GW guys will be having a tough time pushing thier agenda this Winter!!  ;D

Dan Kelly

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »
The Great Meteorologist Rant of 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxiCxO5k0g
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 10:18:44 AM »
Emergency email from my old club, Augustine, in Staffor re: Super Bowl Party on Sunday...

From: Augustine Golf Club [mailto:info@augustinegolf.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 1:27 PM
Subject: Super Bowl Party

Our Super Bowl Party will be held today at Augustine Bar & Grill. Due to the snow fall, our Food & Beverage Director will be the only staff member there. There will be no door fee and there will be no buffet. However, we will have drink specials and appetizer Specials. We have been unable to remove snow from out parking lot so parking will be very difficult. Please drive safely and we hope to see you there!

Too funny...

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
Dan,

The whole office had a good laugh about that one. Thanks for the tip!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back