News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Amateurism & GCA
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:23:24 PM »
I am on the Board of a match play event founded in 1935.  We draw a field in four age divisions from a good portion of southwest Virginia.  Our former champions are nearly all lifelong amateurs, some of whom have gone on to win our event in multiple age divisions.  We visit a good rota of courses and will be celebrating our 75th year by contesting our championship at Ballyhack in July.

During a recent breakfast, a fellow Board member and I were discussing the virtues of amateurism and lifelong enjoyment of the game.  He shared a statement by Richard Tufts, familiar to many of you I'm sure, which reads:

"The work that I have done has been for amateur sport, and I hope you won't mind if I leave you with my creed of amateurism.  Amateurism, after all, must be the backbone of all sport-- golf or otherwise.  In my mind an amateur is one who competes in a sport for the joy of playing, for the companionship that it affords, for health-giving exercise, and for relaxation from more serious matters.  As part of this light-hearted approach to the game, he accepts cheerfully all adverse breaks, is considerate of his opponent, plays the game fairly and squarely in accordance with its rules, maintains self-control, and strives to do his best, not in order to win, but rather as a test of his own skill and ability.  These are his only interests, and, in them material considerations have no part.  The return which amateur sport will bring to those who play it in this spirit are greater than those any money can possibly buy.”

This spirit certainly applies to our event and to the gents with whom I choose to play.  Clearly, the creed no longer applies across the world of professional golf, if it ever did.

If Mr. Tufts' Amateur Creed applied more universally, how would golf course architecture be affected?  For one, we probably wouldn't worry about par or distances as much as we do.

The Honors Course uses Mr. Tufts' creed as a guidepost.  What clubs or courses particularly espouse the Creed?  How does such a philosophy manifest itself among players and the golf course itself?

It might be said that the attitude or outlook associated with playing golf for a living (which is likely not in accordance with the words above) has adversely affected the game overall, especially in the past twenty years.  Note that I am not referring to the skill or ability gap between amateurs and professionals; I'm pointing to the difference in philosophy.

Are architects designing for players who abide by the creed?  Are clients asking architects to?  Does doing so even make a difference?

I look forward to reflections and responses.

WW

Ronald Montesano

Re: Amateurism & GCA
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:28:15 PM »
"Clearly, the creed no longer applies across the world of professional golf, if it ever did."

On what basis do you plant this flag?  Are you seeking it in every instance of professional competition, with no exception?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:36:32 PM »
"Clearly, the creed no longer applies across the world of professional golf, if it ever did."

On what basis do you plant this flag?  Are you seeking it in every instance of professional competition, with no exception?

Ron:

I'm not necessarily seeking it.  I'm just stating that it doesn't apply across the world of professional golf.  I'm sure there are exceptions.

Amateurism and professionalism are different animals, and not just because guys who do it for a living shoot lower numbers.

Do you agree?

WW

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
WW,
As different as they may be, each has a similar regard for the rules (Pros will call themselves out for breaking one),  sportsmanship (Jack Nicklaus was as gracious in defeat as he was as a winner), and giving something back (Pros give their time and money, sometimes very copious amounts of money. which I think is a reflection of that same 'return' the amateur finds when winning his trophy).

It's better than it looks.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:37:51 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
Wade…

I find the quote you used to be an excellent reminder as to the spirit of the game.  I’ve cut and pasted a portion of that Tufts quote here…

“Amateurism, after all, must be the backbone of all sport-- golf or otherwise.  In my mind an amateur is one who competes in a sport for the joy of playing, for the companionship that it affords, for health-giving exercise, and for relaxation from more serious matters.  As part of this light-hearted approach to the game, he accepts cheerfully all adverse breaks, is considerate of his opponent, plays the game fairly and squarely in accordance with its rules, maintains self-control, and strives to do his best, not in order to win, but rather as a test of his own skill and ability.”

Furthermore, I find this John Low quote to be another guide post for me concerning the spirit of the game…

“The pity of golf today is that men play entirely to win and are afraid that they may be defrauded by some inequality of penalty from gaining the end of their desire. It would be happier for golf if we would only remember that the true good is in the playing, not in the winning.”

I also know that CB MacDonald has a quote in his “Scotlands Gift” book, where he makes a comment regarding not wanting to spoil his relationship with golf by making money off of it.  I could dig up that quote, but as I am hitting the rack soon and, therefore, I am too lazy right now.

Concerning some of the questions you pose, I am unsure of the precise answers…but I can say that if people give all they have to the game, play it the right way, and keep the spirit of the game front and center then their lives are sure to be enhanced.

Thanks for this post…I think it is great!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:20:40 AM »
Tuft's description of amateurism is one of the best I've seen.

But at some level the whole amateurism thing is bizarre. Not because it isn't a worthwhile goal - it is. But because it's a concept that is always overwhelmed in practice by the emphasis everyone puts on winning.

By that I mean, amateurism isn't just about being a gracious loser. It's about - if it's about anything - not caring too much about winning. It's about caring more for the process than the outcome.

Many people will talk that talk. The problem is what happens to real humans in the heat of competition. At such times no one actually feels that way.

Bob

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »
Any quote from CBM concerning his joy of the game vs winning must be taken into the perspective of him demanding the first US Amateur being replayed until he won, shouldn't it?  And any comments about today's pro golf should consider that it is one of the largest charity fund generators around, not to mention that there are very few exceptions to the gentlemanly decor that still defines the PGA Tour, even if they are playing for money.

My own personal take is that throughout history, the good guys and the scoundrels, and all the human frailty in between have probably existed in about the same proportions.  The human mind processes memories in such a way that "the good old days" is more about nostalgia than any real truth about how it was.

Just my take.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »
Jeff...

I agree with the sentiment of your post 100%.

Perhaps attaching the names to the quotes can detract from there overall meaning.  My understanding is the CB MacDonald was a genius in regards to certain aspects of golf, but perhaps not a man to be emulated in all aspects of his life and his character. 

However, I think the tone and the message of those quotes is something we can all attempt to emulate.  Also, the "gentlemen's" nature of the game is something we should all try to emulate.  We will achieve being perfect gentlemen?  No way.  But we can use it as a guide post.

Another great example of your posts tone could be Tom Watson.  He carries himself very well on the golf course and certainly appears to be someone to model your golf mannerisms after.  BUT he has made his fair share of BIG mistakes in his life.  So, do we hold up Tom Watson and call him the epitome of a gentlemen golfer?  No.  He is human and he has screwed up and he will screw up again.

We all might be golfers who play a gentlemens game, but we won't be gentlemen 100% of the time.  BUT we can strive to better ourselves by finding bits and pieces of our past and present role models to help us find the right path. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
Amateurism is alive and well, in events like wwhitehead describes.

It dies when anyone involved starts to think about making money from it ... which includes selling the TV rights.  Think:  The Olympic Games, big-time NCAA sports, and, unfortunately, the USGA.  Once outsiders or organizers start to profit, then the competitors start thinking about their own share, and down it goes.

There is no need for it to get personal.  Indeed, questioning others' motives is a very slippery slope, which is one of the reasons attempting to codify "amateurism" is so elusive.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 01:02:50 PM »
What opinions do any of you have about the 're-instated amateur'.

Should it even exist?

My own view is that it is too casually done and once that line is crossed going back should take a long time with many hoops to jump through.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 01:19:59 PM »
What opinions do any of you have about the 're-instated amateur'.

Should it even exist?

My own view is that it is too casually done and once that line is crossed going back should take a long time with many hoops to jump through.
Yes. Once. I agree it shouldn't be an easy process. It should consider aspects of the professional's career.

Twice. Don't want to say never, but it should tremendously difficult; almost hopeless.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back