News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Strasheim

Hello to the community here at gca
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:59 AM »
Good Morning,

Thank you to the membership here and to Ran for giving me a sign-on.

Enjoy the content and contributions of the members here. Reading this forum is a really enjoyable way to spend a few minutes getting away from the day to day grind and dreaming about golf and golf courses. I found this site while looking for a good location for a golf trip to Phoenix and am pleased to have recently spent 4 days at Vista Verde based on posts from this board.

Reside in Lincoln, Nebraska and am 48 years old. Not nearly as experienced, or educated about golf and architecture as most here, so I don't expect to say much. But, I did want to say thanks since I enjoy this place a great deal.

Cheers!

Ron Csigo

Re: Hello to the community here at gca
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:35 AM »
Welcome Steve. 
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:38:51 AM »
Welcome Steve!
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »
Welcome Steve?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »
Welcome to GCA Steve.

Were you around those parts during the good ole days?

What an era indeed!

Tony Weiler

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
Steve, welcome.  How did you like VV?  What else did you play?

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 01:41:35 PM »
Thanks to all for the welcome.

Steve, welcome.  How did you like VV?  What else did you play?

Vista Verde did not disappoint. It was fun and fair for my 9 year old son and I. We stayed at Rio Verde and went to Vista Verde for all 4 days. Compared to other courses I have seen discussed here, I would rate it slightly behind Bayside. That is using a totally unscientific and overall fun based assessment. We have also done a similar trip to Old Kinderhook in Camdenton, MO which we love as well. I would rate Vista Verde a full step over Old Kinderhook. One thing that surprised me a bit at Vista Verde was that it was really pretty busy. We joined up with others a couple of times because of the groupings. No complaints though.

Were you around those parts during the good ole days?

What an era indeed!

Although I graduated from University of Arizona, I grew up with husker football as my father spent time in the program as a player and a coach. So, I have attended home games for most of my life. That pic of the Osborne era is interesting as we have sort of returned to the Osborne era with TO as AD and Bo Pelini. The team is fun to watch again and the job the Pelini brothers have done with the team is nothing short of remarkable.

Jason Hines

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:47:52 PM »
Hi Steve,
I used to live in Omaha for 10 years and miss playing golf in Nebraska, I grew up in Kearney and still try and make it back to play Wild Horse once a year.   Where do you usually play in Lincoln?

Jason

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 08:57:34 AM »
Hi Steve,
I used to live in Omaha for 10 years and miss playing golf in Nebraska, I grew up in Kearney and still try and make it back to play Wild Horse once a year.   Where do you usually play in Lincoln?

Jason

Hi Jason,

My favorite course in Lincoln is Firethorn. To be honest, I haven't played much golf the last ten years until recently.

There is plenty of good, affordable golf in Lincoln. Like anywhere else though, it is tough times. Wilderness Ridge laid off their top pros/teachers in what appears to be an effort to save the clubhouse. That is very sad for our golf community, IMO.

TGIF!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »
Welcome Steve.  You didn't mention whether you get to western Nebraska to play golf.  Have you experienced any of the obvious suspects, Wild Horse, Bayside, or McCook, or the privates in Mullen or soon Valentine?  How about Brauer's Champions in O?

If you still have any pull from your Dad's influence, I wish someone would get on the stick and schedule some home and home non-conference series between "Big Red" and "Big Red".  the connections were so obvious back when Barry Alvarez was our coach (now A.D.)  It is a no-brainer!  Fans travelling to the other's venue for such a series will get disoriented and not realize which stadium they are in!  ;) ;D 8) 

Did you Dad know Barry back in the day?

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »
Welcome Steve.  You didn't mention whether you get to western Nebraska to play golf.  Have you experienced any of the obvious suspects, Wild Horse, Bayside, or McCook, or the privates in Mullen or soon Valentine?  How about Brauer's Champions in O?

If you still have any pull from your Dad's influence, I wish someone would get on the stick and schedule some home and home non-conference series between "Big Red" and "Big Red".  the connections were so obvious back when Barry Alvarez was our coach (now A.D.)  It is a no-brainer!  Fans travelling to the other's venue for such a series will get disoriented and not realize which stadium they are in!  ;) ;D 8) 

Yes, I have enjoyed some of the western Nebraska golf experience over the years. Of the courses you have mentioned, I have played at Sandhills, Bayside, Wildhorse and Champions. Have not played McCook.

My Dad passed away 20 years ago, doing what he loved. It was at the Nebraska Oklahoma game in 1989. He was last employed by the University in 1959, so he was a little before Barrys time at Nebraska. Us fans would love to play more top teams, but for some reason the AD's and coaches think only one tough non-conference per year is the road to the promised land. Guess it's their job to rank high, lol.

Thanks for the message and have a great Friday!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 07:38:54 PM »

Yes, I have enjoyed some of the western Nebraska golf experience over the years. Of the courses you have mentioned, I have played at Sandhills, Bayside, Wildhorse and Champions. Have not played McCook.

My Dad passed away 20 years ago, doing what he loved. It was at the Nebraska Oklahoma game in 1989. He was last employed by the University in 1959, so he was a little before Barrys time at Nebraska. Us fans would love to play more top teams, but for some reason the AD's and coaches think only one tough non-conference per year is the road to the promised land. Guess it's their job to rank high, lol.

Thanks for the message and have a great Friday!

Nebraska is playing Penn State in a few years.

I'm looking forward to the series renewing again. Sorry we missed you in 1994.

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »
2016 - Tennessee at Nebraska
2017 - Nebraska at Tennessee

These games should be great experiences for both schools fans !

Jason Hines

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:23:23 PM »
Hi Steve,
I have yet to play Firethorn, but talked about it for years.  I belonged to Shadow Ridge and Council Bluff CC while I was there. 
I have played almost 80 courses in Nebraska which of course includes several of the 9 hole courses that are shared and cared for by the local communities.  None of them by famous designers, but ooze of character and local pride.
Some of my lesser known favorites in NE:
Beatrice CC
Fairbury CC
Cambridge, NE
Omaha Country Club
Bent Tree in Council Bluffs
Fremont CC
Pierce CC
Legend Buttes CC in Crawford
Sorry, could go on and on.
P.S.
Nebraska Football was never the same after they destroyed the walk on program.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back