News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

How long does it take?
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
I've played about three or four rounds in the last seven months.  I'm getting the itch to play again.  On, in other terms, I can't wait for better weather.

How long away from golf does it take for you guys to get the itch to play again?

It used to be just a couple days off and I needed to play.  I wish I had the time and money to play that much now.

Of course, the wonderful pictures always posted on here don't help us who aren't playing.  Just one of the many reasons I love GCA!
 :)

Mike Wagner

Re: How long does it take?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:18:04 PM »
24-48 hrs.  Currently on hours 36.

Sean Eidson

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »
I usually shut it down around Thanksgiving.  I'll play 2-3 times here and there over the next two months.

My wife says that I get progressively more cranky each weekend starting Feb 1 until I'm back to my 2x weekly schedule some time in March.

I hope she was talking about golf

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:50:50 PM »
24 hrs

I would play everyday if I could - a week or two off is brutal - I get really cranky

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:38 PM »
I feel like something's missing every winter when I'm unable to play.  It's snowing like crazy here in Virginia--worse than many winters in that I can remember in Connecticut.  Big-time winter blues.

When I'm playing every day in the summer, there are times when I'll be finished playing 36 holes and still want to hit a couple bags of range balls.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »
Been since Sunday and I can't wait for tomorrow morning's tee time. One of several reasons I'm never moving back to NY from TX.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »
6 weeks popped into my head as the longest stretch to go before it becomes an imperative. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jordan Wall

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
Adam, it got to about fifteen weeks last October and it killed me.

My drought of ten more weeks ended early January.

Golf needs to be part of my daily schedule again...

Bill Gayne

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »
It's seasonal. During the spring and summer I will have the itch to play constantly. During the fall and winter I shut it down for football, waterfowl hunting, and skiing. Football will be over after this weekend and waterfowl season ended January 31. So a little bit of skiing and I will be ready to return to golf. :)

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »
 8) Let's see... just walked off the course ~5:15... should be good to go by 9:30 or so tomorrow.. if we have  full breakfast
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
15 minutes...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Pat Burke

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 07:05:55 PM »
retired end of 2001
still no itch 8)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »
Jordan, You'd do well to consider the efforts you make today, ensure your ability to play frequently in the future. But I hear ya' man.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Rob Rigg

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
Tee it around 4pm after a long week in the office - immediate stress relief and ear to ear grin - 60 and sunny in Portland, it was awesome.

I don't know how my golf friends still living in Toronto can survive the winter without going insane.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »
The few times we get washouts in Australia - like this weekend in wet NSW  :(

Matt Bosela

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
Tee it around 4pm after a long week in the office - immediate stress relief and ear to ear grin - 60 and sunny in Portland, it was awesome.

I don't know how my golf friends still living in Toronto can survive the winter without going insane.

No need to rub it in, Rob ;)

It's now been three months since I've picked up a club and we have at least six or seven weeks to go until we can expect our courses to start opening here in Southern Ontario.  I think about it every day...

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »
The itch usually starts the day after I play...I'll try to scratch it every 3 - 4 weeks in the winter.  More frequently in season.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 11:07:13 PM »
Adam, your 100% correct, but that doesn't make it any easier.  If I find myself a proud member of a club such as you are one day then I will be a very happy man and thankful for my hard work and the people that help me strive toward the future like yourself.
Cheers,

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
When I lived in New England I would shut it down Thanksgiving Week, and aside from the occasional quick visit to Florida, wouldn't play for 4-5 months, 'till spring.

Now living down south for going on 13 years, I play regularly all year round--probably 3 times a week on average.  BUT--The weather has been mostly rotten for 5 weeks solid--either rain, cold or both, and surprisingly, I'm not as stir crazy as I might have thought.

Tim Bert

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »
When I'm playing regularly, I can't bear the thought of stopping.

When I come to the end of a period of high volume, it drives me nuts

When I'm removed from the game and I haven't played for a month or so, it isn't that bad

When I have a trip approaching after a long winter's nap, it drives me nuts

When I start back playing regularly, I can't bear the thought of stopping.

This year will be interesting as it looks to be binge and purge throughout the year.  No real sustained stretches of playing every week in sight.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »
Rob, here are my two responses:

A.  Those Toronto boys are clearly not your friends any more;

B.  We're mentally stronger and spiritually more developed than you are.

OK, got that off my chest.  Guys who can't play all year round simply prioritize and make the most of the seasons they get.  If you're that addicted to golf, you have your excuse to move and you do so.  Breathing is all that I do passionately 24/7/365.  Sex, golf, feed-bag, etc. all have a minimum and a maximum.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 02:10:09 AM »
The response from my TO friends, to your point Ron - is that they are mentally stronger than I am, although they try and go on at least one, possibly two, golf trips during the winter, but manage through the balance of the "off season".

They also have an ability to focus on Leafs hockey that is beyond me (I was burnt out on hockey after college).

Having lived in a "cold"/"real winter" climate for twenty odd years, I can tell you that living in the PNW is a welcome change for a mad golfer.

Although as has been mentioned, if you are prepared for four months ex-golf, then it is probably easier to handle than being in a situation where you are hoping for a little warmth from the sun and a little break in the rain to make your golfing dreams come true.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:19:34 AM by Rob Rigg »

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 04:02:56 AM »
I used to never get the itch during the winters in Michigan because of hockey - it just seemed natural.  Now that I don't play, I even quit the pick-up games recently, I like to get out weekly.  That said, I am weather and good course based golfer and I don't get any itches when the weather is poor or the choice of venue is mediocre.  In fact its the opposite - I feel lucky not to be playing.  The past few years my itch for even a weekly game has subsided somewhat, but after a few weeks I would want a game

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:04:30 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
Don't think I could make it through a Canadian winter, without heading south for at least a few rounds to break it up, this winter seems especially long for some reason.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back