News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

USGA goes green by going brown
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
This is the title of an article in the new issue of GolfWorld magazine. Following are some very interesting quotes from new USGA president Jim Hyler from the article:

"When it comes to the issue that is perhaps of greatest concern to golf's future-namely water-we must re-set the way that we look at golf courses"

"I believe our definition of playability should include concepts of firm, fast and, yes, even brown, allowing the running game to flourish"

"We need to understand how brown can become the new green"

"Many of the standards by which we construct and maintain our courses have become, quite simply, unsustainable"

"Our maintenance expectations must be realistic, promoting a more relaxed approach that allows us to reduce our consumption of clean water."

"With the recent economic downturn, our focus on these critical issues has sharpened"

"We need to seek a long-term strategy that confronts some of the deeper issues plaguing the game."

He said the USGA "can and will develop and encourage best practices" and present them to courses to consider.

Discuss.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Cirba

Re: USGA goes green by going brown
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:04:20 AM »
It's good to see them embracing reality and better yet if they take the lead in education, but with golfers who grew up in the age of the nail-clipper-manicured bunker and 5/10billionth green cuttings, it might not get a lot of traction til the baby boomers move on...or all go broke.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:13:25 PM by Mike Cirba »

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
It is an interteating statement form Mr. Hyler and will, I hope, help those who support sustainable maintenance in the brown v. green debate.

I feel compelled to point out that to date the USGA has done as much if not more than any other golf organization with  golf's environmental questions. From funding research that has produced drought and disease resistant grasses to financing the Audubon Society of New York's Golf Course Sanctuary program to encouraging integrated pest management programs such as tree clearing in specified areas to new rules that help protect environmentally sensitive areas on courses, the USGA has been at the forefront of this issue. I am glad to see that Mr. Hyler will make this effort a priority with more public exposure.

It would be a great thing if the USGA can demonstrate its commitment to environmental greenkeeping in the Opens, since they are widely televised.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »
Let's just say it's great to see the USGA accept the realities of the situation. Educating by humbly admitting mistakes is not a bad news cycle. It's life. I'd like to see them do more, through deed, to indelibly illustrate they have learned from their mistakes. That is, only if they want to grow the number of active participants throughout this century?

Without demonstrating good stewardship of our natural resources, there might not be another century to play this game, other than virtually.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Richard Choi

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »
This will go nowhere (at least with general golfing population) unless they can convince the 500lb gorilla in the room (aka Augusta National) to change their ways.

The wall to wall green and immaculate conditioning seen by large viewers during Masters is awfully hard to overcome.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back