News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Tues., 2/2 - Get To Know Mike Clayton
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
Now this is a thread that is guaranteed to please everyone! Mike played on the European Tour for a long time, and is now a golf course architect, so he is as qualified to make everyone jealous as anyone on here! :) Plus, he is another poster from Australia, which is always a plus in my book. (And the fact that he designed my home course that I've never played, Barnbougle Dunes, with Tom Doak does not at all make me biased...)

Here is a link to Mike's website:

http://www.claytongolf.com.au/flash.html

Mike's book, Golf From The Inside, is a delightful read from all perspectives.

Please welcome him with a slew of questions - and be patient, as he is on the other side of the world, and it's night time down there!

-----

On deck: Will update shortly

5 most recent participants:

Steve Curry

Troy Alderson

Aidan Bradley

John Vander Borght

Tony Muldoon

Full list:

Full list of GTK participants
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:07:12 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Warren

Re: Starting Tues., 2/2 - Get To Know Mike Clayton
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:10:26 PM »
Mike,

Please forgive me these many questions, but I have a lot to ask you!

You have designed or co-designed some very successful originals (Barny, St A Beach, Ranfurlie) and also conducted a slew of redesigns that have been hugely popular (Lakes, RQ, Peninsula, Lake Karrinyup etc). Are the satisfactions of a redesign different to creating something from scratch?

You mention in the preamble on your website that you "learned some new tricks" working with Tom Doak in your two collaborations. What are the major ones?

I have read you lament a few times that the Euro Tour played some far better courses during your heyday. Which three or four would you most like to see back in the tournament scene?

You have been a member at Metropolitan GC for a long time, I understand. Why is it a better course than many give it credit for?

Your comment in GA mag this month about the shame of the standard of golf at St Mick's, The Coast and Randwick was spot-on, I thought. Given omnipotence, how would you approach a fix?

I really enjhoy your writing style. Did you ever study writing formally, or is it a natural style and talent you have honed?

What is your favourite style of course and why?

Are there any courses that you're still burning to play that you haven't yet?

What is the most satisfying round of golf you've ever played?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:34:54 PM by Scott Warren »

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »
Many participants on this site as well as historical architecture writers have trashed the architectual views of touring pros as favoring "fairness" over interest. Is the trashing justified as a general proposition.

Ash Towe

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
Hi Mike,

On your trip through America as mentioned in your book what did you learn from the courses you visited?

Any plans for a follow up to Golf From The Inside?

Do you see any opportunities for new courses in Australia not linked to housing developments?

If you could build a course in NZ where would it be?

Many thanks, Ash

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:03:35 PM »
Mike,

I am delighted to see you on GCA.

I have but one question; do you find it obscene at the amount of money that is spent on  new constuction and/or renovations in the US compared to Australia?

Much talk was made about Shadow Creek in its day but I would hazard a guess that MPCC's Shore pencilled out at about fifteen million, (without having to pay for the land) and stuff is still going on.

Bob

Troy Alderson

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »
Hi Mike,

Where do you see the golf industry going in the future, in regard to design, maintenance, and play?

What would you like to see in the future?

Troy

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »
Scott,
The course at St Andrews is entirely Tom's and almost all of it came from a routing he did with Ian Baker- Finch in 1999.
It was to be 27 holes with houses.There were ten holes on the main course where the 18 are now and eight on the other side of the current clubhouse. Then there were nine extra holes and many of those became a part of the course we play now.
They then changed designers for a few years, decided that wasn't their path, called us and it became a collaboration between Renaissance and MCGD.
The unbuild 2nd course which became 18 holes because they couldn't get the housing permits was almost entirely routed by us.
One of the best holes though is a Doak/I B-F hole from 1999 - the short par four 16th.
There is a lot of satisfaction in redesigning holes and we have been lucky enough at several - Lakes,Peninsula,Karrinyup - to have been able to rebuild, without compromise,the really important parts of the courses.
I count Royal Queensland as a new course. They lost six holes and there are only four holes that bear any resemblance to the old holes - i.e they play down the same corridors of fairway and look like the holes they replaced.
The satisfactions are different - one is working with someones elses routing and one is your own - and your own routing is bound to be more satisfying because it is the most important part of the course.l

TOM DOAK,
We have been bolder with our greens since Barnbougle and it was really interesting to watch him move dirt and have it look like nothing had happened. The tee shot off the 1st at Barnbougle was completely blind - and I wondered what the helll he was going to do with it.

EUROPE.
The best courses they don't play anymore - that we did -  are probably De Pan, Chantilly,Sunningdale and Portmarnock.
And for the Ryder Cup they replaced Muirfield,Lytham,Birkdale,Walton Heath with The Belfry,The K Club,Valderamma and Celtic Manor.
If ever you might think that professional golf is not entirely about the money then that should be enough to persuade you that it is entirely about the money and the architecture of the golf course is largely irrelevant.

METROPOLITAN.
I have played there for 35 years and obviously have a great affection for the club and the course.
Why is it better than people give it credit for?
Like most courses that are not in the best 20 or 30 in the world it has its strengths and weaknesses.
The land is quite flat and the ground on the back nine is nowhere near as sandy as the front - the result of losing eight holes to the school in the late nineteen-fifties. Consequently it is the critics who always point to those holes as being a weakness.
I think the new 12th and 14th holes are vast improvements - certainly they are strategically more interesting - and the new greenkeeper is addressing the important issue of the health of the forests and that is really important.

THE COAST,ST MICHAELS RANDWICK.
I have never played the courses but I have walked many of the holes and it is staggering that coastline only produced NSW GC in terms of excellent golf. I don't know the land well enough to talk about the ultimate answer to producing one of the best five courses in the country on that strip of coastline but it is surely possible. As I said in the column - too much politics,interclub rivalry and too much bureaucracy. I don't really know but my assumption is that there is no one looking nine generations ahead.

WRITING.
I grew up reading every golf book I could get my hands on - and Peter Thomson in The Age.
I think I just tried to do what he did so well. I had no training other than English classes at school - but my grandfather wrote  books and so does my cousin so perhaps there are writing genes in there somehwere.
Like most things it takes practice.

FAVOURITE COURSE.
If that is the 'you have one round left' question then maybe it is Sand Hills. Is there any better place to play golf? I have been unbeleivably lucky enough to go there twice and it is an awesome experience - in the true sense of the work.
Morfontaine in Europe and Royal Melbourne here - but I do love going down to Barnbougle and The Lost Farm is going to make it one of the best places in the world to visit.For that to happen in little old Tasmania is something that was unimaginable a decade ago.
That makes Richard Sattler - a potato farmer who never played golf - one of the most important people in the history of golf in this country. In time he will get great credit for what he created.
And I just re-read the question and it asks for a style of course - sorry.
I love courses where nothing is dictated to me by the architect - other than 'you had better thing carefully about what you are doing here'
On the tour most things are dictated by the people who do the mowing lines - i.e you must hit it here. It is all about the simple ability to execute.

BURNING TO PLAY.
Lost Farm, Portrush,Seminole,Rye and I am going to Woodhall Spa this year no matter what!
I feel really lucky to have played so many courses people only dream about.I remember meeting someone years ago who had been to Pine Valley. I couldn't imagine ever going there but to see it was almost unbeleivable for me.

A SATISFYING ROUND.
Every pro has a story of a round that was ridiculous. Mine was at Paraparaumu in the 1988 NZ Open.The last day blew like crazy - for those who know the course I hit a full 4 iron to 16 - and I did 65 to finish 2nd. There was one 69 that day and not more than five guys broke par - and it was a round with proper clubs and balls! Wood and balata. The game has done a miserable job of protecting its courses since then.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
'Many participants on this site as well as historical architecture writers have trashed the architectual views of touring pros as favoring "fairness" over interest. Is the trashing justified as a general proposition.'

JASON,
Having spent the best part of 15 years having dinner five nights a week with golf pros (I know) I would say there is no question the vast majority want golf to be fair - i.e everyone gets punsihed the same for a miss.
Very few in my experience look outside the irrevelant prism of their own games.

'I have but one question; do you find it obscene at the amount of money that is spent on  new constuction and/or renovations in the US compared to Australia?

Much talk was made about Shadow Creek in its day but I would hazard a guess that MPCC's Shore pencilled out at about fifteen million, (without having to pay for the land) and stuff is still going on.'

BOB,
How do you get to 15million? It seems an awful lot but I have not seen the course or the scope of the project.
We have undertaken some pretty big renovation projects in this country  - all greens,tees bunkers and tree removal - for way,way,less than that.
America is a different place that perhaps places more emphaais on things that cost a lot but are not really going to make the golf course that much better - and sometimes its worse. 'Perfection' costs a lot.

ASH.
On your trip through America as mentioned in your book what did you learn from the courses you visited?

I saw seven courses - Cypress Point,Pacific Dunes,Sandhills,Merion,Pine Valley,Shinnecock and NGLA - that were as good as Royal Melbourne. Most people in Australia mistake American golf for Tour golf.
I guess you learn that the best courses - like the best golf swings - may look different but they do a lot of the important things the same.

Any plans for a follow up to Golf From The Inside?
Not yet! I am thinking of doing a book with a friend here - but there is a big gap between thinking and doing.

Do you see any opportunities for new courses in Australia not linked to housing developments?
Maybe is the answer to that but takes a unique client like Richard Sattler who is not hell bent on profit at the expense of everything else.
Long term there will be a rationalisation of courses. We have a client with a brilliant piece of land in a country town- a big one.
It is a town with five or six poor courses on bad land. Each club is quite small in terms of numbers,they employ two or three people on the groundstaff and most importantly the city is watering six courses.
With water such a critical issue in country Australia it makes sense to me to build one fantastic course, to water only one course and to have a course that employs 15 people who keep it is great condition.
We use less water and we play better golf.
There are courses in Melbourne that won't survive the next 30 years and there will be chances for clubs to merge,sell land,move and reinvent themselves on better and more viable sites. That is how the sandbelt was formed almost a hundred years ago. All of those clubs chased better land and better golf.

If you could build a course in NZ where would it be?
I am not sure - the South Island looks so beautiful and it seems there is amazing land for golf down there - see Cape Kidnappers as an example.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »
Mike, who was the biggest over-achiever in pro golf you knew or know?  The biggest under-achiever?

Any other Barnbougle-type sites in Australia you'd like to build new courses on?  If so, can you give me any details? 

How much practice did it take you to perfect that dive/flip-the-putter/turn-a-0.2"-gimme-into-a-3'-knee-knocker" move? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caht2r9_rQU

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »
Standard questions:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This website?

----

How did you first find out about Barnbougle?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Cristian

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »
Mike,

I remember last year you were playing the senior tour, are you still playing tournaments on the European Senior tour?

The courses played on the senior tour seem more interesting than on the regular Etour. What are the best courses on the Senior rota?

I think this year the European Senior tour is visiting Haagsche in the Netherlands, now that renovations have been completed, will you be attending? Did you play it in the late 70's early eighties? I think it was host to the dutch Open on a few occasions around that time...

Is your design work confined to Australia or are you pitching for work in Europe as well? Around here some projects still seem to get of the ground here and there, other than in many other places around the globe.

You mentioned great golf swings are like great courses; they look different, but have a lot in common; Can you tell me the common denominators in your favourite golf courses?

Thanks
Cristian

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 05:27:45 PM »
Mike thanks for participating on here and for my favourite threadjack ever.

Chris Kane sets you up on post 4 and then you chip in with an ''eagle' on post 9.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,22527.0/ 

Further to George's question on what got you into architecture, when you were on the tour how many pro's used to talk about making a carear of it?  How did you take the step of making wishes become true?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
Mike:

You have already posted two long answers and have yet to use the word "rubbish" to describe a golf course.  Are you mellowing with age?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 05:55:15 PM »
Mike

Do you think you will be able to build more courses like Healesville ?

What projects are you working on at the moment ?

Any chances for expansion overseas ?

Do you think Geoff Ogilvy will get into the golf architecture business ?

David_Elvins

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
Clayts,

What are the three most ridiculous things you have ever heard a pro say about a great course?

Has your recent good results on the course been the result of practice, or just more frequent playing?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:27:03 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 04:57:10 AM »
Where do you see the golf industry going in the future, in regard to design, maintenance, and play?

What would you like to see in the future?

TROY,
I suspect we have seen the future of great design in the past 15 years - since Sand Hills.The future of truly great design -outside of China perhaps - is going to be in remote places where there is great and affordable land. There have been some outstanding - and obvious - examples in Bandon,Tasmania,Nebraska,Colorado.
As remote golf proves itself to be sustainable there will be more people will to take chances on great projects.
In Australia the maintenance trend will  not see a drop in demand for fine conditioning because, sadly, so many judge the quality of a course by its condition. I assume it is the same in America.
Play at the top level will continue to produce players whose skills are largely indistinguishable because the equipment has dragged so many into the same place. Everyone drives the ball like Norman used to because the clubs and balls make it such a simple exercise. The hybrid clubs give less talented players the high 220 yard shot that only really talented players like Nicklaus,Seve,Waston,Weiskopf,Norman could hit with the one and two irons.
The 60 plus degree club gives players at least half the shots Seve could hit with a 56 degree club.
And, of course , all this as well as the ball has rendered every old course obsolete if the architects vision and intent is the measure.
If I was a really good player now I would be screaming for a return to the days when equipmet went a long way to distinguishing the great from the very good - and the very good from the average. It would make it so much easier to break out from the pack - and make the game more interesting to play and observe.
Rant Over!

Mike, who was the biggest over-achiever in pro golf you knew or know?  The biggest under-achiever?

Any other Barnbougle-type sites in Australia you'd like to build new courses on?  If so, can you give me any details? 

JIM
Wayne Grady - no question.The Queensland PGA refused his application to turn pro telling him he was not good enough.
He has that letter framed above his BBQ at home. He worked unbelievably hard and whilst he did not look that great he was fantastic with the six iron down and he used his driver very aggressively - i.e he NEVER laid up off the tee.For those who know #10 at The Lakes he always used driver when no one else ever did. And he never missed the fairway.
Under-acheiver??
In some sense it has to be Greg Norman. Given his physical talent ten majors would not have been outrageous. i understand they are really hard to win and 2 is a fine career but he was in position so many times.If Tiger had played the last four holes for him - or Peter Thomson - he would have had his 10.
The unanswerable question is was it mental or physical? My guess is that his swing let him down at crucial moments - and Faldo's never did.

Standard questions:
GEORGE

What brought you to golf?
My parents bought a house on the edge of a golf course and I started to caddy to earn some money.I loved it and the assistant pro told me to play so long as I kept out of the way.I loved to play - and came home in the dark every night.

Golf course architecture?
We - John Sloan and Bruce Grant - started the business in 1995.They felt there was a place for us in the market here.I was playing well in Europe but was 39 and the next year I played awfully and lost my card after 15 years.It seemed a perfect time to go home and work.I sometimes wonder if it was no coincidence that I played poorly at that time - but I am glad I did what I did instead of going back to the school and starting again. 15 years was enough and it was clear I was not going to win The Open!!

This website?
Harley Kruse told me about it - he was working for Peter Thomson at the time and is now with Greg Norman.
And I met George Blunt at Royal Sydney - he was a poster and became one of our best friends.He came to live in Melbourne for a while then went to Delhi and now he is in New York.I miss our games at Royal Melbourne.
George - COME HOME!!

CRISTIAN
I remember last year you were playing the senior tour, are you still playing tournaments on the European Senior tour.
I am starting in Brunei next month and then at Fancourt at the end of March.I will be in Europe in June.

The courses played on the senior tour seem more interesting than on the regular Etour. What are the best courses on the Senior rota?
Last year we played at Ballybunion,La Moye in Jersey and then Porthcawl. Three fantastic weeks in a row and that never happened on the main tour.

I think this year the European Senior tour is visiting Haagsche in the Netherlands, now that renovations have been completed, will you be attending? Did you play it in the late 70's early eighties? I think it was host to the dutch Open on a few occasions around that time...
I can't wait.I really enjoy that course and I won the Dutch International Amateur there in 1980.I played a couple of times since with Robbie Van Ervan Dorens - I really enjoyed him and assume you know him. How is he??

Is your design work confined to Australia or are you pitching for work in Europe as well? Around here some projects still seem to get of the ground here and there, other than in many other places around the globe.
We are almost exclusively working in Australia but there is a better than 'maybe' chance in Europec coming up hopefully.

You mentioned great golf swings are like great courses; they look different, but have a lot in common; Can you tell me the common denominators in your favourite golf courses?

In less than 1000 words!!
Confusing short par fours - the ultimate being 12 at St Andrews.MacKenzie build a number of fine holes with really interesting questions on the sandbelt.
I love short holes where you have no choice but to hit a real shot - and anything marginal is not good enough.
12 at Augusta may be the most famous but 17 at Woodlands in Melbourne is a ripper.8 at Troon is a beauty and 4 at RCD is another.
Royal Queensland was a chance to do course with really wide expanses of fairway, bunkers in the fairways and greens that rewarded play from close to the bunkers.I always enjoyed courses that were wide - Royal Melbourne is the best old course examlple here - but where you had to decide for yourself where to hit. St Andrews. We try to replicate that principle at our courses. The Lakes will be interesting viewing at The Australian Open in November.It will take some thought to play it well.
Like most here I don't have much affection for narrow fairways lined with thick green grass.
All the best courses manage trees well (if they have any) and have beautiful roughs.

TONY
Further to George's question on what got you into architecture, when you were on the tour how many pro's used to talk about making a carear of it?  How did you take the step of making wishes become true?
Lots of guys spoke about it - it seemed to be TV or Design - until the money ramped up and now none of them HAVE to work after they finish.And the Senior Tour appeared so the need to to find a real job disappeared.
I think I answered the other part somewhere else here. Bruce and John asked me if I was interested and it seemed like a good idea.If they had not asked I wonder if I would have gotten involved - or just been an interested observer.

KEVIN
Do you think you will be able to build more courses like Healesville ?
4800 Metres par 68.
Maybe - it is unusual but it is the sort of course the majority should play.They have to hit really good shots and they could hit between 5 and 12 greens a round as 20 markers and make some pars and birdies without feeling they were playing a silly pitch and putt that could be taken with rubbish shots.
But - will the market accept courses like that?? For kids it would be perfect.

What projects are you working on at the moment ?
There are some small jobs on at the moment - nothing big- but a couple of maybes - including one in Europe.We shall see but it is an interesting time.

Any chances for expansion overseas ?

Do you think Geoff Ogilvy will get into the golf architecture business ?
I think he will at some point. He is really interested, he has all the books and more importantly he has read them.And anyone who grows up living on the boundary fence at Royal Melbourne and caddying there is bound to be interested in why it all works.

DAVE

What are the three most ridiculous things you have ever heard a pro say about a great course?
1/'They have ruined Kingston Heath.They took out all the trees and now it is too wide'
2/ Not a pro but Andy - nice guy who caddied for Ben Curtis when he won The Open.He was working for Andrew Coltart I think and we teed off the old Composite 1st at RM. He walked off 6 west - after we played 3,4,5 and 6 which may be the best stretch of 4 holes in the world - and said 'I haven't seen anything to impress me yet'
3/ The pro who made the 1st quote was playing a practice round at Royal St Georges for the 1993 Open with a very famous player.
He asked the very famous player what he thought of the course and he said 'nothing a small nucleur explosion couldn't fix'

Has your recent good results on the course been the result of practice, or just more frequent playing?
Certainly not beating balls but I have played more and I spend a few weeks with Mac O'Grady last year.He is an amazing teacher and that has helped.I only wish I knew then what I knew now - but who doesn't.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 06:26:06 AM »
Mike

Love that quote of the caddy at RM composite  :D

What are your favourite holes that you have built ?

What was the inspiration behind the 14th green at The Lakes ? and the "gouge" in the 12th ?

BTW -  I've been meaning to ask - do you think there is any strategy to P3's? 8)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 05:12:34 PM by Kevin Pallier »

Michael Taylor

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 06:32:44 AM »
 :D

Mike,

What are your greatest golfing memories as a child, on the tour, and post tour days?

If you could be a member at any course in the world, what would it be?

Pup

Ash Towe

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 01:10:04 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for your reply.  Good luck with all your future projects.

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »
Andy - nice guy who caddied for Ben Curtis when he won The Open.He was working for Andrew Coltart I think and we teed off the old Composite 1st at RM. He walked off 6 west - after we played 3,4,5 and 6 which may be the best stretch of 4 holes in the world - and said 'I haven't seen anything to impress me yet'

Why do you think he missed what others see?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »
Thanks for participating, Mike.

Would you tell us if you have a family (wife, kids?) if so, are they involved in golf?  Also, how about brothers or sisters and parents.  Did you have early parental encouragement and support?  Did you participate in other sports as a youngster?  And lastly, can you think back to an early time where you were on a golf course, and you first became aware of the difference between playing golf in a field of play as a matter of batting around a golf ball, and understanding the golf course as a field of play with actual architectural/design qualities that must be recognized?  Where and when was that?

Thanks again...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »
Mike->  What makes a great golf writer?

What makes a great sports broadcaster?

Good to see you buddy.  Golf Observer forever!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 12:18:25 AM »
KEVIN

What are your favourite holes that you have built ?
17 Ranfurlie, 14 Royal Queensland.8 and 18 Healesville.
Of the holes we have redone I think we did an really good job at Portsea's 13 - a poor hole that became one of the best short 4s in the country. I really like the alterations/ improvements to the 7th and 9th holes at The Lakes. As a group I think that front nine is a very satisfying piece of work.

What was the inspiration behind the 14th green at The Lakes ? and the "gouge" in the 12th ?
The 14th has a bit of the wildness of the 13th at Barnbougle - tumbling, wild and big. I think it really improved that hole - the shot in was very one-dimensional but now it completely changes depending on where the pin is cut - and it makes players think a lot more about the lay-up especially as there is so much more room down there now the women's green is moved up the hill.
I assume you mean the gouge in the 11th?
The idea was to make the pitch more interesting and with the pin behind it you are a lot better off if you play a long second close to the water.

MIKE.
What are your greatest golfing memories as a child, on the tour, and post tour days?
Interesting. As a child it would be the process of improvement and just how much fun it was when I look back at it.
On tour - most would say the greatest memories are of tournaments you won. I probably would as well - the first one was fun because it was the Victorian Open and I had grown up watching that tournament thinking it was the biggest thing in the world. There were some pretty good players to beat that week - Norman,Trevino,Marsh,Newton and Shearer - and that was really fun - once it was over of course.
Post the tour? It is a bit the same as the childhood memories comment. I was playing poorly and lost interest because I couldn't compete and we were busy working.I am playing much better now and figuring that out has been an interesting process.

If you could be a member at any course in the world, what would it be?
It would need to be somewhere I could play easily and without flying all the way across the world for 2 games a year. I would love to be a member at Cypress Point - who wouldn't - but here Metropolitan is terrific and I think Kingston Heath is a brilliant club and one of the great courses.

GEORGE
Why do you think he missed what others see?
I have no idea - I couldn't be bothered going there - but that are not difficult holes and perhaps he was equating difficulty with quality.

RJ.
Would you tell us if you have a family (wife, kids?) if so, are they involved in golf?  Also, how about brothers or sisters and parents.  Did you have early parental encouragement and support?  Did you participate in other sports as a youngster?  And lastly, can you think back to an early time where you were on a golf course, and you first became aware of the difference between playing golf in a field of play as a matter of batting around a golf ball, and understanding the golf course as a field of play with actual architectural/design qualities that must be recognized?  Where and when was that?
A wife - Debbie - who has suffered through too many dinners with golf pros who promise not to talk golf and that lasts about 5 minutes normally. She much prefers life after the tour. We don't have any children and she doesn't play.Hopeless.
My sister lives in Tasmania not far from Barnbougle. Funny story.Richard Sattler employs shearers and chefs and calls shearers chefs with their brains beaten out. My sister was a chef and she married a shearer!
I played the normal Australian sports - Cricket and football - until I started golf which took over.I wish I had played more of the others but golf was fun and an obsession.
I need to go now and that last question is a good one that deserves a little time.
I will get back to it - and Jay's questions.

Chris Kane

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 02:14:58 AM »
You have already posted two long answers and have yet to use the word "rubbish" to describe a golf course.  Are you mellowing with age?

And no sign of another word he's particularly fond of - he must be mellowing!!

Mike -

Which of your redesigns are you most proud of?
Do you think the golfing public identify you more as a former pro or as a course designer/columnist?
If you didn't pursue a career in golf, what would you have done instead?
How many majors will Geoff Ogilvy win before he's done?

David_Elvins

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 02:32:47 AM »
I spend a few weeks with Mac O'Grady

THere are some pretty amazing stories abot Mac O'Grady's talent and approach to the game  (carrying a couple of left handed club in his bags at tournaments etc).  Any cool stories? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back