News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Lost Farm WOW
« on: February 01, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
I saw that some new pics have been added to this Flickr account.

If you go to the last 20 or so you can see some of the grow in and WOW:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithrhebb/sets/72157612084642543/show/with/4037047404/

Michael Dugger

Re: Lost Farm WOW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:34:13 AM »
I just wet myself...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »
      :o
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
If only someone would organize a GCA outing there.   ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »

Thanks...Excellent.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »
I know that's a good climate for growing grass, but the speed at which LF has grown in since I was there in November is really amazing.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »
It looks like Sand Hills in heaven, rather than Nebraska.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:03:23 PM »
It looks like golf.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »

Not to put too much of a damper collective erection, but, does it not look like many of the holes have very dense scrub/marram grass right up to the fairways.  I hope those fairways are wide given the significant winds there.  I also notice that there appear to be a number of holes across a relatively flat plain.  From BD the dune structure looks more dramatic than BD, but there also appears to be a significant flat plain area in the middle and vast expanses of exposed sand.  Wonder how they'll keep that sand from blowing over the course?

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
Beautiful; I agree the fairways appear narrow.  Perhaps that is the pictures.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
You call that a golf course??  ??? Just looks OK to me.

Just kidding...looks fantastic!  ;) ;D
H.P.S.

Emil Weber

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 01:18:33 PM »
Holy moly.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 01:23:47 PM »
I'm on the next flight to Tazmania...

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 02:33:27 PM »
Bryan

Your comments echo my own thoughts about the flatness of the course. In what i take to be par 4's/par 5's there doesn't seem to be much by way of elevational change either from side to side on the fairway or forward from the tee to the green ignoring what might be elevated tees on some holes judging from the photos. A bit of rumple on the fairways aside it does look fairly flat.

The containment mounding beside the fairway is attractively done in terms of the planting however the transition from fairway to mound seems quite abrupt. Like everyone else I like the "look" however I would be interested to hear from someone who knows the design a bit about C&C thoughts on what kind of strategic elements they were trying create on some of their holes.

Niall

Jim Nugent

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
Will be ironic if Lost Farm surpasses Barnbougle, similar to how Pac Dunes surpassed Bandon Dunes.  

Michael Dugger

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »
Fellas...

In all fairness, how many holes do you honestly think we are looking in on here???

I gather we are seeing like 5-6 maybe...

Is that enough of a sampling to go drawing conclusions about anything?

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
Bryan - you are right, there is a large flat area right at the centre of the site. This area was pretty much the last to be shaped and seeded, which was supposed to happen around the time I was there. The gale that blew on those days put them back a couple of weeks, so I wasn't able to form that clear a view of the holes in the flat area.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »
Any chance that the logo is a confused looking cow? 

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 04:35:30 PM »
Having seen this property - and Barnbougle Dunes property - with Greg Ramsay prior to any construction, it is fairly apparent that the Lost Farm site is far more dramatic. That said, there is kind of a flattish central area that Coore elected to use quite a lot and run a number of holes in, his argument being I understand that these were needed to contrast with the holes in the more severe dunes. As I have a contour map of this land, there is a lot of land still to the east of where the Coore holes finish up and it would not surprise me if there were another 18 holes to be had at this end of the property one day.

Bryan, I thought the same thing about the relative tightness of the fairways and the proximity of marram grass. I believe at BD there have been a number of these areas thinned out over time as they identified problem areas. Perhaps its the photographs, perhaps not. I'll see firsthand in November when I go down there. Looks fantastic.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 04:50:43 PM »

Good luck with that, but if I were you I would travel to Lost Farm in Australia.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »

Wasteland far away from civilisation? ;D

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »
Thanks for the update Steve - can't wait to see the finished product after being fortunate to see some of his work in the US late last year.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »

Wasteland far away from civilisation? ;D

Well Tasmania isn't mainland Australia  8)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »

Good luck with that, but if I were you I would travel to Lost Farm in Australia.

If you were going to nit-pick Jordan's post, you might instead point out that he misspelled Tasmania or that they probably don't offer direct flights to Launceston from Seattle (but then he never said anything about a direct flight).

The Lost Farm is on (in?) Tasmania, an island that is part of Australia.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »
Bryan

Your comments echo my own thoughts about the flatness of the course. In what i take to be par 4's/par 5's there doesn't seem to be much by way of elevational change either from side to side on the fairway or forward from the tee to the green ignoring what might be elevated tees on some holes judging from the photos. A bit of rumple on the fairways aside it does look fairly flat.

The containment mounding beside the fairway is attractively done in terms of the planting however the transition from fairway to mound seems quite abrupt. Like everyone else I like the "look" however I would be interested to hear from someone who knows the design a bit about C&C thoughts on what kind of strategic elements they were trying create on some of their holes.

Niall

Niall,

Ian Andrew has a nice piece on Lost Farm on his Weir Design blog that describes the routing and holes and some of Coore's thoughts.

http://weirgolfdesign.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122:lost-farm&catid=8:theblog&Itemid=10

On a tangential thought, I wondered if you had read the St Michael's thread.  There is a par 3 picture there where the scrub had grown in and obscured the green.  It reminded me of the par 3 at Glasgow Gailes that you were concerned about when I was there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back