News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

St Michael's GC, Sydney, Australia THE FINAL FOUR (FINALLY)
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:20:44 PM »
St Michael's shares a boundary with NSWGC at La Perouse in southern Sydney. Sadly, the location is really the only strong link between the two. It has ranked around #50-60 in Australia in various ratings lists.

St Michael's suffers in a few ways, which my pics will hopefully illustrate:

1. A lack of interest at the greens.
2. Scrub so thick it's an automatic lost ball in many places.
3. Playing corridors choked by overgrown vegetation.
4. A ridiculous amount of forced carries (of up to 150m).

It's also disappointing that much of its small waterfront is not used. The par five 13th runs parallel with the sea, but too far inland, while holes belonging to The Coast GC use the seaside below 16, 6, 7 and 8.

The club is currently in the process of converting the course from kikuyu to couch, which itself will improve the playing experience.

It seems to me that St Michael's, The Coast and Randwick together fit on land that would be better off housing only two courses. There is some great golf terrain, but in an effort to squeeze 54 holes in, much of it is wasted.

Mike Clayton wrote in Golf Australia magazine this month: "It is extraordinary that all the land between the edge of NSWGC and Randwick GC at the far end of the line has failed to produce a golf course in the top 50. Such a waste of world class seaside property, for whatever reason, is astounding - and an opportunity to make something incredible... What a waste of some of the best suburban golfing land in the country."

Having said all that, I do regard St Michael's pretty highly. And even without changing the routing and using the extra land a three-into-two would provide, there is scope to improve it if some clearing, thinning and sexing up of the greens were undertaken.

The front nine:

1 - Par 4 - 399m (438y)
A "firm handshake" of an opener, which despite its length is easier than it might seem thanks to ample width and an easy green. The best line is achieved by driving down the right, which is higher than the left and has more penal scrub lining it.

2 - Par 4 - 317m (348y)
The first of many forced carries, the hole turning to the right slightly at less than 200m from the tee, so if you fancy driving close to the green, you'll have to cut off a good deal of the RHS scrub. The green has subtle movement, indicative of many of St Mick's greens: largely flat but with something to think about here and there.

3 - Par 3 - 170m (187y)
Played steeply to a skyline green that runs off at both the front, right and back. With the strong winds that are known to blow, it's a hell of a hole. The ball can be played in from the left, but thick scrub hugs that side of the hole somewhat, so there is an element of risk.

4 - Par 4 - 346m (380y)
From an elevated tee, it's a forced carry to a wide fairway below, with a man-made lake guarding the preferred right hand side. Mounding short left of the green makes the pitch from that side more difficult. The area that separates this hole from #2 is a controlled sandy waste area with sporadic trees, which to me is far preferable to the "instant death" scrub present elsewhere on the course (sandy waste areas are also used between 1, 18, 10, 9 and 8 on the northern end of the property).

5 - Par 3 - 203m (223y)
The extent to which the vegetation suffocates some holes is best seen here. The green is a really interesting one angled from 7 o'clock to 2 o'clock and sloping from left to right, inviting a well-played cut that uses the angles, but as the first picture shows, there is almost not enough width to even see the green, let alone work a ball into it.

6 - Par 5 - 501m (551y)
Another forced carry to reach the fairway, with bunkers both sides of the green awaiting with not much else short to consider. An unfortunate waste of some good golf terrain. It's a major waste and failure, IMO, that 16, 17, 6, 7, 8 and 9 all run parallel, bordering each other.

7 - Par 5 - 492m (541y)
Headcing back away from the ocean, this hole climbs the steep slope the 6th plays down, encountered here on the second shot. The green can be reached in two, but as the picture below shows, it needs to be run in from the right to have any chance of holding the green. That great diagonal swale short of the green is a really interesting feature. The fourth bunkerless green we've played by now, and one that - along with the 3rd and perhaps the 5th - has the natural strengths to defend itself without the need for sand.

8 - Par 4 - 398m (437y)
A pretty straightforward and somewhat boring hole. Another bunkerless green, but one that fails to pull it off. The lack of any real border between 6, 7 and 8 is a big part of what lets the 6th and 8th down.

9 - Par 4 - 298m (327y)
We finish the front nine with a really fun short two-shotter, flanked down the right by a massive bunker, with the green climbing steeply in the last 40m to leave a tricky pitch for the golfer who hits a driver close. Laying back with an iron makes it harder to get left and negate the greenside bunker, so it's really a matter of identifying your strenths and playing to them. To a front pin, it's not really worth hitting the driver close, but with the hole cut towards the back there is more room on the back-to-front sloping green to get it close.

Back nine to follow, but first I'd love to hear from a few others who are familiar with St Mick's.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:21:27 AM by Scott Warren »

Neil_Crafter

Re: St Michael's GC, Sydney, Australia (pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 03:26:51 PM »
Scott
Not coming from Sydney I have to admit that I have never played St Michaels. probably no excuse but have just never got there for some reason.
A couple of comments. Very overgrown, carries are overdone and fairway mow lines are VERY narrow. But the ground seems ideal but is swamped by these other aspects. There is a really good course waiting to be uncovered out there. Thanks for the pics.
Neil

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »
Very overgrown, carries are overdone and fairway mow lines are VERY narrow.
Neil,

You have just descibed 90% of Sydney golf. (The other 10% is just plain bad)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »
Andrew
Quite possibly. Most familiar with The Australian, Royal Sydney (in its various guises), NSW and The Lakes (old guise). Have seen a few others but was not inspired to seek out too many more. However, your comment could apply to numerous courses around the country. Horsham was very much like this before the fire, overgrown and with ribbon thin fairways in a sea of rough. The new Horsham after our makeover will be considerably different. Fortunately in some respects the fire there did clearing work that the club (nor us) could never have contemplated.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
Scott with all that grey stuff in the top half of your pictures, you must have felt right at home ;).
Let's make GCA grate again!

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the pics.

How is the couch going there & how many fairways have they done?

I heard they were going to do some clearing. Have they done any, or is it so minimal it was not worth doing?

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
Overgrown?  Some spots look like you could hide a golf cart.

The third looks extra intimidating with all of the vegetation on the sides.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »
Andrew: Couch crossover is in the early stages, still. 10 and 11 seemed well underway and in somewhat dodgy condition as a result. You'll see what I mean when I post the back nine. I didn't notice any clearing from when I was there on 1/1/2008. If they have done anything I missed it.

Neil: The mowing lines are definitely too narrow. The pic of #4 is a case in point. Far right is the line, but the short grass ends 30m left of the dam. And the forced carries are nuts, especially as many look to my eye like they have been planted, rather than being native scrub that can't be touched. After nine holes we are already up to five or six of them (depending on your definition). Off the top of my head the back nine has seven holes that feature a forced carry!

Tony: It got sunny on the back nine and I was left to rue my decision to spare my arms and legs from the sunscreen "so they'll get some colour". My face thankfully was spared the slaughter. You have to respect the Aussie sun (and ozone layer hole). How quickly I forgot!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:51:41 PM »
Tony: It got sunny on the back nine and I was left to rue my decision to spare my arms and legs from the sunscreen "so they'll get some colour". My face thankfully was spared the slaughter. You have to respect the Aussie sun (and ozone layer hole). How quickly I forgot!

Scott

LOL !! You of all people should know the slip-slop-slap routine  ;D

You also forgot to menntion the OOB issue to the right of the first  ;)

I have never been a big fan of St. Micks - way too much scrub for mine. Some interesting land but fails to hit any real great heights.

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 09:54:01 PM »
OOB issue?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »
The fact that it's there - you yourself said the ideal line is down the right hand side but one must flirt with the OOB fence there as well.

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 10:12:02 PM »
If there is an OOB fence it must be recessed in the bushland. I had to help a couple of my playing partners find pills that strayed into the right gunj and I don't remember seeing OOB markers or a fence?

Matt Day

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »
just reading the NSW supers magazine for last December. The news for St Michaels includes the completion of a master plan endorsed by the board which includes work on all 22 greens including bunkering. No mention of an architect.

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »
That's promising, Matt. By all 22 greens I take it that is 18 course +  four practice. I can think of three practice greens. There must be another hidden somewhere.

It would be interesting to see the masterplan.

Michael Taylor

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »
I must also add that many photos of St Micks Scott has taken aren't from the back tees.

The tee shot on 3 isn't really uphill, because there is another tee 30m back up the slope.
On 4 there is a tee back down past the 3rd green that is completely blind. The shute you hit out of is very small.
As for the 6th hole, there is another blind tee shot. They have marker poles to show you where to hit, but for a first timer these must be the most intimidating blind shots found anywhere, considering you don't know what's 'out there'.
And there are a couple more blind shots on the back 9, of which all are intimidating.

But I agree with you Scott, many of the greens do need bunkering to encourage bold tee shots and make the approaches more interesting,

Good job with the photos.  :)

Pup

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »
Looking at the Near Map aerials from 8th January 2010, there seems to be some ‘ameba’ fairway bunkers added on the 14th & 16th, & a few waste areas, none of which were there when I last played there a couple of years ago, but nothing seems to have been done to any of the green complexes or greenside bunkers which you would have thought would be the first place you would start on a course with such poor green complexes.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 12:08:21 AM »

The tee shot on 3 isn't really uphill, because there is another tee 30m back up the slope.

Hey Pup, isn't that the tee I knock my drive over on the 3rd at NSW?

Michael Taylor

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 12:35:49 AM »
 ;D

You still didn't go far enough left Andrew!

BTW not to threadjack or anything, but is that tee (3rd NSW) actually still up there Andrew? I might check it out in my next social game.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 01:08:25 AM »

BTW not to threadjack or anything, but is that tee (3rd NSW) actually still up there Andrew? I might check it out in my next social game.

I think it's just a flat spot covered in shrubs these days. I think it was straight up & a little forward of the normal men's tee.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 01:14:46 AM »
Regarding clearing - I just looked at the photos again & I see they have cleared the trees to the right side of the 9th fairway to make way for the waste area.

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 02:54:59 AM »
Michael: The 3rd is still very much uphill from the back tee, and the pic of the 4th I walked forward 30m to give a look at what's below. Even from the non-championship men's tee, all you really get to see is scrub and a ribbon of landing area.

Andrew: I guess there has been clearing then, nice aerial detective work. Pity none of it has been where it's needed!

Cristian

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 04:28:29 AM »
I actually think the course looks very nice!

The bunkerless greens on 3, 4, and 5 look very interesting. Only 6 looks very bland to me, but it is hard to judge from the picture. The fairway mowing lines are narrow, but the playing corridors seem generous. Would broader mowing lines not solve the biggest part of the problem?

9 is a nice short par4. The picture makes you think What would I do here?

Awaiting the back 9 pics with anticipation.

Scott Warren

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 04:38:46 AM »
Cristian, I have a couple more pics of 6 that I can put up tonight when I add the back nine. But in short, it is as bland as it seems!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »
Christian

Actually 3 through 8 is unbunkered at the green (if you don't include those about 10-15m short of 6).  Together with 1 that's 7 of the F9 targets that are unbunkered !!

I haven't come across too many courses like that - then again it's kikuyu is a pretty strong defence though Scott says they are in the process of regrassing.

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 11:46:41 PM »
just reading the NSW supers magazine for last December. The news for St Michaels includes the completion of a master plan endorsed by the board which includes work on all 22 greens including bunkering. No mention of an architect.
Matt,

The Masterplan was done in house by the superintendent I believe.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back