News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Mellvyn

I agree with Jim K's listings on the courses I've been to:
A. Royal Aberdeen (Balgownie)
B. Brora
F. Gleneagles (hotel & course)
G. Royal Dornoch # 3 and 13 in background ?
J. TOC
K. Crail (Balcomie)
M. Marine Hotel at North Berwick (West)

Melvyn Morrow

Adrian

I fear J is TOC photo so you are right but it is early circa 1850 around the time of the building of the R&A Club House.

Still no one close to naming the guy in Photo H, which has surprised me.

Adrian_Stiff

Adrian

I fear J is TOC photo so you are right but it is early circa 1850 around the time of the building of the R&A Club House.

Yep c1850 is about right. The new 1st green is not there 1870, quite wide there though.
I'll guess the chap in Photo H is J.O.F Morris, on the basis he looks a bit like young Tommy.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Melvyn Morrow

Adrian

Sorry No. No family connection with me.

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

MM,
So I take it that this bunch has correctly identified all but photo "H", the portrait?

p.s. John L. Low.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:53:31 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Melvyn Morrow

Got there in the end except for H and that was done thanks to a very low clue

Photo A    Balgownie Aberdeen

Photo B    Brora

Photo C    Findochty

Photo D    Lossiemouth

Photo E    Huntly

Photo F    Gleneagles Hotel circa 1939

Photo G   11th Green Dornoch circa 1935

Photo H    J L Low in 1892

Photo I      Tain circa 1951

Photo J     TOC 1850’s

Photo K    Balcomie (Crail) circa 1970

Photo L     Crawford circa 1902 (sorry rather hard one as now closed)

Photo M    North Berwick

Hope you did well and its was enjoyable. The Crawford site was hard but if you are a keen supporter of GCA.com you may have read about in by a certain Alfie Ward Feature Interview (http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-alfie-ward-october-2005) & his other enjoyable report on Arbory Brae In My Opinion (http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/arbory-brae). So really no excuse for getting that one wrong.

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

MM,
You've got "C" mislabeled. The town is Findochty but the golf course is Strathlene.

Here you are:

http://www.uk-golfguide.com/scotland/27169.html

p.s. you're welcome

Jim_Kennedy

Got there in the end except for H and that was done thanks to a very low clue

MM, please point out the clue. If it's that he wasn't a relative of yours that leaves 6 billion to choose from  ;D

Hope you did well and its was enjoyable. The Crawford site was hard but if you are a keen supporter of GCA.com you may have read about in by a certain Alfie Ward Feature Interview (http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-alfie-ward-october-2005) & his other enjoyable report on Arbory Brae In My Opinion (http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/arbory-brae). So really no excuse for getting that one wrong.

You must have missed it, Crawford was correctly identified yesterday, 24 hours before you posted the answer.  ;)

Dale Jackson

Adrian

Melvyn, I am fascinated by TOC photo, both for its architectural value and what it shows.  It must be a composition because of the scale of the various golfers and the different angles of shadows (and non-shadows) they cast.  Do you know the history of it?  Is it a c 1850 background with the golfers added later?  Do you know when it was "composed"?  Was that type of photo common in the day, and for what purpose?

Any info appreciated.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Melvyn Morrow

Jim

It was in answers to one of your many e-mails yesterday Jim.

I sent you the following message "Crail yes and the gentleman will get you low when you finally name him"  Rather big clue I would have said.

As for my post today with the answers, it was not addressed to you alone.

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

MM,
I hadn't seen the several emails you sent until just now, so I didn't see your 'low' clue. I haven't read any of them yet but I will respond to them.

By the way, thanks again for the Braid information.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back