News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Set of Thirteen more photos both old and new to test your knowledge. This time I hope I have set it so cheats cannot spoil it for others. Have you ever heard the like, cheating in golf is bad enough but to do it on a simple quiz on golf, how low can you get  :o . Well I suppose we are talking about Jim, so who knows?  ;)

So let’s try this set of 13 assorted photos. Get 6 and I think you are doing well, get over 8 and boy do you know your courses over 10, wow must be worth a pint. As for all 13 then I feel Jim should buy you a bottle of 15 year old Single Malt (if he agrees PM me and I’ll give you all the answers) ;D ;D

Photo A

Photo B

Photo C

Photo D

Photo E

Photo F

Photo G

Photo H

Photo I

Photo J

Photo K

Photo L

Photo M

I hope it has tested your little grey cells a little after all is golf not all about rising to the challenge (Jim yours is to put your hand in your pocket and buy all the winners a bottle as penalty for cheating and admitting to it in the first round :-X ).

Melvyn

Tom_Doak

If anybody gets "L" I will be impressed.  Most people would not even recognize that there WAS a golf course in that photo.

I think I know about half of them but I'll let others identify a few first.

Melvyn Morrow

Tom

Most should as it has been discussed or at least mentioned on here before my time. I think that even a course map was shown, so if you have read past comments you may be able to remember. ;)

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

MM,
I sent you a message letting you know that my intent was not malicious.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Melvyn Morrow

Jim

Thanks, all is fine in love and war, now without looking how many can you get? More than Tom or less?

Melvyn

Philippe Binette

Tim Johnson

Excellent way to start the weekend. I have 2 for sures and a bunch of guesses so I will hold off until the experts give their answers. Curious to see how many one person can get. It was like CSI studying the pictures for clues, mountains in the background, coast lines and how the houses would have been so long ago.
Thanks Melvyn

David_Tepper

G sure looks like the 17th green at Royal Dornoch.

Melvyn Morrow

Please feel free to e-mail me your answers and I will just give you the numbers you get right nothing more, but you must do all 13 for me to respond.

Hope that helps

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

MM,
I think that only a resident of your Isles will be able to peg more than Tom.

For harmonies sake I'll sit this one out.  ;D  

Melvyn Morrow

Jim

I am surprised, well go on and lay some eggs ;)

Melvyn

Kalen Braley

Melyvn,

You sure got a lot of copyright infrigment going on there.  ;)

I'm going to take a Flyer on M and says its TOC!!

As for the rest of them, they look like delightful goat tracks!!   ;D   :D

Emil Weber

A: Montrose?
B: Brora
D: Fortrose?

Melvyn Morrow

Kalen

As for copyright I am given Scotaviaimages free press as to the quality of their product and where you can get more from. If any gain it is their product that benefits not the site or little old me.

“delightful goat tracks”  just proves my point as to how far you guys have drifted away from the game called golf. Kalen my old swamp rat that is what real golf courses look like, that where real men play the game called golf, that is where the game originated and sorts the men out from the goats or 4 wheel drivers. Man you need to live and experience our game of golf, not that cart riding electronic mobile brain system called Rangefinder which does the thinking for you. Come over and play a game of golf before its too late. You know every time I see an American on a golf course I keep expecting to hear not FORE but “TIME OUT” between getting off the cart and playing the shot, as I believe the walk may be getting too much. I jest of course but not about the swamp rat, that’s just a sign of friendship and friendly banter.

Melvyn   

Emil Weber

Ok
A is Royal Aberdeen
B is Brora
C is Strathlene
D is Moray
E
G might be Royal Dornoch
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:23:08 AM by Emil Weber »

Neil Regan

a aberdeen
b brora
c Strathlene near Findochty
d Lossiemouth
e Huntly, Aberdeenshire

g Dornoch 11th
h Young Tom
i
j
k
l
m North Berwick
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Mark Chaplin

F - Gleneagles

J - 18th TOC or is it too obvious?? Would need to be very early picture.
Cave Nil Vino

Jim_Kennedy

MM,
Here's my list:

A. Balgownie
B. Brora
C. Strathlene Buckie
D. Lossiemouth
E. Huntly
F. Gleneagles (hotel & course)
G. Dornoch #11
H. CB Macdonald (I originally thought Braid)
I. Tain
J. TOC
K. Crail(Balcomie course)
L. Crawford
M. Marine hotel, N Berwick ( I originally thought Troon's Marine hotel)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 02:57:58 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Melvyn Morrow

Jim

Keep trying

Melvyn

David_Tepper

Neil & Jim -

I don't think G is the 11th at Royal Dornoch, at least on the current course. It could be the 3rd. Of course, a number of holes at Dornoch were added to the course post-WWII and a several of the older holes were renumbered. If this picture was taken before WWII, the green may be identified with a hole # different from its current #.

DT   

Stan Dodd

Could G be the 17th green at Dornoch?

Neil Regan

Neil & Jim -

I don't think G is the 11th at Royal Dornoch, at least on the current course. It could be the 3rd. Of course, a number of holes at Dornoch were added to the course post-WWII and a several of the older holes were renumbered. If this picture was taken before WWII, the green may be identified with a hole # different from its current #.

DT   

David,

The photo of Dornoch is 1935 or earlier, and identified as the (then) 11th. If it's the current 17th, would that be the current 13th in the background, with golfers on the green ?

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Mark Pearce

Jim is right on K, that's the lifeboat house by the first green on the Balcomie.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David_Tepper

Neil & Jim & MHW -

Photo G is definitely not the current (post WWII) #11 green at Dornoch, as there is no green between the current #11 green and the water, as shown in the pre-WWII photo. I do think the current 11th hole was one of the holes added to the course after WWII, along with current holes #7, #8, #9 & #10.

My first guess (above) was Photo G was the current 17th green, with the current #14 green (Foxy) in the background. It could also possibly be the 3rd green, with the current #13 green in the background.

I do not know which and how the surviving holes were re-numbered when the new holes were added after WWII.

DT       

Adrian_Stiff

J- is the 18th on the Old Course, not sure of the date but its quite wide at where the 1st green is now so not as early as you might think. Gleneagles 18th on the queens is there too. Crail & North Berwick also.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back