News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Irish Golf Books – A Review.
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
I have more books on St Andrews than I have on Irish Golf.  Why isn't there more written about Irish Golf?

Firstly let’s commend Jim Finegan, Emerald Fairways and Foam flecked Seas is about as good a general guide as I’ve found.  His taste is good and he puts the right weight on each course he visits.  Where Golf is Great is like a photo enhanced pick of the crop.

I have at least 3 other guides to courses that aim to help you plan your trip. They mostly devote a page to each course, simultaneously putting too much info into the book and not giving you enough info on why some courses are special.

Richard Phinney's, Links of Heaven generally gets good press. I thought I had a copy but as I can’t find it I can’t comment further.  It’s the most frequently referenced so perhaps I’m assuming I’ve seen it. http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/interviewwhitleyphinney  If someone can review this it may turn out I’ve never actually bought a copy!

The most interesting of these types I can lay my hand on is Hooked – An amateur’s guide to the Golf Courses of Ireland. By Kevin Markham.   I like it because his personality and likes and dislikes come across well. For instance, having read the Confidential Guide you would guess, correctly, that Tom Doak is a fine putter and enjoys clever greens. I would guess that strongest part of Markham’s game is his driving and he frequently singles out the holes he found most testing in that respect.

Doak (33 courses profiled), Steel (10 links courses profiled) and Darwin and Hutchinson all offer a glimpse.

However I’m in search for ‘other’ literature that will help me learn and enjoy more about the Irish golf experience.  

Some books I’ve enjoyed include.

Early Irish Golf by William H Gibson publ 1988.  I’m sure more info has surfaced and an update is required but this is an honest effort and as far as I can tell accurate. A scholarly approach but Recommended.

Ivan Morris. Only Golf Spoken Here. Published by Sleeping Bear press in 2001.  Morris would be an ideal participant here. He played top level amateur Golf for many years and represented his country.   He got to play with and caddy for Irish’s Golfers like Joe Carr, Christy O’Conner  and Payne Stewart and err Tiger O’Woods.   This is book is idiosyncratic and equal parts meat and whimsy. A long term member of Ballybunion and Lahinch he offers his comparison between the two courses.   An character whoose written an unlikely gem. Recommended.

An Emerald Odyssey by Paul J. Zingg. The author is a professor in California and is probably nuts and it’s summed up in the sub tilte – IN search of the Gods of Golf and Ireland. That said he’s produced the perfect curate’s egg of a golf book. Recommended for those who are stuck in the middle of winter miles from the old sod thinking it’s too long since I’ve been back. But not one to present to someone who’s never been. E.g. there’s a chapter urging us to love the Irish rain as if our golf is enhanced by it.  He crams a load of ancient Irish History (confusing isn’t it) as if it’s all relevant to the golfers experience.   He hails the naturalness of Links golf and yet fails to notice his hero Pat Ruddy’s love of a bulldozer.  Honestly I don’t know what to make of this book, but I’m glad I have a copy.

Finally I would add that A Course Called Ireland by Tom Coyne so far has failed to interest me one bit – but I would be interested in hearing from those who’ve read the whole thing. I’m put off by the bits I read on his blog about Northern Ireland and the arbitrary selection of courses.  Why no Portrush Valley or Arklow when some cliff top effort in Wicklow does make it? It seems to me it all has to fit in with his schedule and predetermined views?

Can anyone recommend something I’ve missed?

Let's make GCA grate again!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Irish Golf Books – A Review.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »
I enjoyed the Coyne book.  There is an unforgettable (like the gimp in Pulp Fiction) moment in his novel that will leave you spastic.  I encourage you to read farther for that scatological sequence alone.  I believe that it could have been broken into two volumes, allowing for more focus on courses.  As it is, the book tells of the journey as much as the courses.  What about Lazy Days At Lahinch?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Policano

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »
Tony,

Good to see you mention Kevin Markham's book.  He is a friend of mine. I have played Royal County Down, Portrush, Portstewart, Royal Dublin, European Club and other Irish courses with him.  He is a pretty good all round player and he does enjoy his drives.

As you know, he played every 18 hole course in Ireland over an 18 month period.  He has a very concise Doakish review of the value of every course and whether you should go play it.  It is a definitive work.

I am encouraging him to write another book more in the vein of "A Course Called Ireland".  He has a lot of great stories that are not in the book.  

He continues to add material on his blog, www.golfcourseireland.blogspot.com and on twitter @kevinmarkham.

Cheers, Mike

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »
Tony

Don't shortchange A Course Called Ireland.  Tom played virtually every links in Ireland during his journey but in many cases did not go far in describing the courses.  I am confident that he played Dunluce and Arklow.  He is not an architecture junkie.  His book is bit like a Paul Theroux travel story.  Its more about Tom's stories and observations (and mental state at any given point in the journey) and the people he meets than it is about the golf or the courses.  The excerpts from the blog are but a small taste of what the book is about.  Tom did find the North to be significantly different than the Republic.  I'm not sure anyone who has been to both (or lived in one or the other) would disagree that they are different.  The only negative experience I recall him recounting about the North was a disagreement with an employee at Castlerock.  He did have many flattering things to say about the courses and people in both the North and the Republic just as he had some observations that were not flattering about each but probably not inaccurate.  Give it a read.  Its quick and fun.  Tom is a thoughtful guy and I think this group would greatly enjoy his company.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 06:48:49 PM »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
It is more a collection of short stories than anything else, all centered on Lahinch.  However, there are some classics in there; in fact, it would rank as one of my top five "literary" golf books, ahead of Ivan Morris' volume.  There are some beautiful tales in there and I encourage you to order it and read it.  The closer is  beautifully bittersweet.  There is one in there about a balkan beauty who came to Lahinch as an exchange student that has you spitting out laughs, as well.

Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Policano

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 07:12:16 PM »
Tony,

Take Ron's advice.  Lazy Days is a quick fun read.  It is the size of "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff".  You will reread it every couple of years.  It is that entertaining.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:43:30 PM »
Tony M. -

My theory is that there is a relative paucity of books on Irish Golf for the following reasons:

1) Aside from hosting a recent Ryder Cup and the Open at Royal Portrush in 1951, Ireland has not hosted any major golf events. Irish Golf simply does not have the sporting history that golf in Britain does.

2) Irish golf never had any real visibility in the U.S. golf media until the early 1980's. I remember a piece Sports Illustrated did on Irish golf courses about then and also an article on touring Irish golf courses in one of the two major U.S. golf magazines. Those two articles inspired me to make a golf trip to Ireland in 1984, well before visiting Scotland or England for golf.

3) This is more of a question that a statement, but it is possible that some of the political antipathy between Ireland and Great Britain over many decades caused the British golfing establishment to ignore Irish Golf?

DT      
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:45:10 PM by David_Tepper »

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48:53 PM »
Ivan Morris's "The Doonbeg Ghosts" is an easy read.  The book reads like a tribute to Golf in the Kingdom but it has its own unique approach.

I'll just say its not your normal golf book but its entertaining full of opinions and educational.  Its much like the joy of playing a round of golf with Ivan at Lahinch.  Now the ride back to Limrick down those winding roads in heavy traffic with him driving and texting his brother about his 69 was just as memorable but a bit less fun.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 04:18:00 AM »
Along with Phinney & Finegan, there is of course Redmond's (shame his name doesn't start with an F sound) Great Golf Courses of Ireland.  It may be the best of the three.  There is also Planet Golf, which isn't about Ireland, but like Steel's book it profiles a clutch of Irish courses. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 06:56:34 AM »
Fantastic application of a word, that one...a "clutch" of courses...here's a primer for anyone looking to add to her/his idiolect of group names...anyone for the occasional "shrewdness of course"?

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kennel/collectives.htm
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 07:05:35 AM »
  What about Lazy Days At Lahinch?

Never heard of it.  http://www.amazon.com/Lazy-Days-at-Lahinch-Finn/dp/1585360805#noop 

Please tell us more?

Tony

The author Tony Finn is a member here in Cork. It was first published as 'Through the Green Lightly' and republished late as 'Lazy Days at Lahinch'. He hasn't published any more books since.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 07:11:47 AM »
Really, all I can say about Lazy Days (in addition to it being the inspiration for my team name in GCA Fantasy Golf this year) is that it is comfort food for the golfing intellect.  It doesn't pretend to reinvent you nor peel away the layers; it is an amalgam of stories that sit well and call you to play the Lahinch course and live in the town...that's all.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 07:24:58 AM »
Besides the book listed I would add:

For purposes of planning a trip I have found Rob Armstrong's book quite useful. For some reason it's not on the book shelf next to me and the title escapes me.

The Strokesaver Guide to Classic Courses of Great Britain and Ireland, Great Golf Courses of Ireland by John Redmond, and Legendary Golf Links of Ireland by Edgeworth de St Jorre are all worth having on the bookshelf.

Planet Golf and Where Golf is Great are not Ireland  specific but the pictures provide great inspiration for a trip.

Plus there are various club history books that become available on ebay.

Shane Wright

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
I just read thru the posts here and was amazed to not see one mention of

"Legendary Golf Links of Ireland"

Photographed by Anthony Edgeworth

Written by John de St. Jorre

This is easily my favorite book in my average to above average golf library.  It came out in 2006. 

It is absolutely incredible.  I'll see if I can find a link to it online.  Someone else surely has to have a comment on this book?

Shane Wright

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
http://www.edgewortheditions.com/

Here is the link

And I apologize Bill, you did mention this book in the post before mine.

If you are looking for more info on the Ireland classics, this book is a must.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »
The photography is outstanding but what makes the book unique for me is the story of the club membership, leaders, and traditions.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 01:58:53 PM by Bill Gayne »

Robert Emmons

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
The ones I use:

Emerald Fairways and Foam -Flecked Seas  Finegan

Golfing Gems  Tait

Golfing in Ireland  Armstrong

Links Of Heaven  Phinney

Ireland's Golf Courses  Robbie

Just my thoughts...RHE

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »
Robbie I would be interested in a short analysis of each, as I haven!t seen some of them.
Tony on Blackberry

Bill Gayne

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »
The Road to Ballybunion is another Ireland golf book that I just noticed in the corner of the bookshelf. It's probably been five years since I 've picked it up. It's about a journey through the courses of the Southwest. John Degarmo author and it features the water color paintings of Ray Ellis. Definitely a quality read for anyone making a maiden journey to the Southwest.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 08:44:59 PM »
Emerald Fairways..Finegan 1966....best written travel and archie book,always enjoyable

Golfing Gems..Tait 1999...two pages per course,color photo,how to get there,info and facilities,scorecard,good write up on each course

Golfing in Ireland..Armstrong 1997...good general info..between 2 and 5 page write up on each course with color photo's,scorecard and info on each course..well written

Links of Heaven..Phinney 1996...story teller of a golfer..generally 2 to 3 pages per course with info...closest to Finegan

Irelands golf Courses..Robbie 2002...short course description and signature hole,scorecard and info

Golf Great Britain and Ireland..2000...info on each course..adresse,phone and fax numbers,professionals name,course designer,facilities,etc

Course called Ireland..Coyne 2009...travel book on Irish culture while playing all the links courses...good as a travel book

The Road to Ballybunion..Degarmo/Ellis 1997...Irish culture and golf with the great Ellis paintings

Where Golf is Great..Finegan/Lambrecht 2006...wonderful writing and photo's, huge book

Classic Golf Links of England,Scotland,wales & Ireland..Steel 1992...good course write-up,routing map,scorecard and color photo's..well done for links courses

The Golfers Library also lists:

The Book Of Irish Golf
Emerald Gems:The Links of Ireland
Great Golf Courses of Ireland
Legendary Golf Clubs of Scotland,England ,Wales & Ireland

Just my thoughts...RHE

mike_malone

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »
 Robert Emmons is sick. He has more Irish golf books then me. ;D  I thought that for trip planning Armstrong's book was a sleeper.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:07:48 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Robert Emmons

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 08:03:34 AM »
The disease is sad...RHE

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
David I think you are correct but I feel there may be more to the story.
I think it would make a good PhD project to investigate the social role of Golf in Ireland.

EG
Many will have first set foot in Ireland off the ferry in Dun Laoghaire.
Wikipedia “The town's name derives from Laoghaire, a 5th century High King of Ireland, who chose the site as a sea base from which to carry out raids on Britain and Gaul. Dún is an Irish word meaning fort, and traces of fortifications from that period have been found on the coast.
The town had been officially renamed Kingstown in 1821 in honour of a visit by King George IV, but reverted to its Irish name by resolution of the town council in 1921, one year before Irish independence. The original Irish spelling is now almost always used in preference to its anglicised forms, although most Irish people pronounce it "Dunleary."

In 1909 the Kingstown Golf Club was formed.  According to the clubs website “In 1922 the club title was changed to Dun Laoghaire (Kingstown) Golf Club and finally, in 1951, after an acrimonious debate, Kingstown was finally removed. There followed a period of change with the 'old guard' dying off and an influx of new members whose accents represented a broader spectrum of Irish life, both metropolitan and provincial.”
My grandparents were probably some of those new members. She died nearly 40 years ago and I don’t recall her saying much but she did tell me about the row over the name and how some older members just wouldn’t talk to the newcomers.

As I say I can’t prove it but it seems that until recent times Golf was very much a niche sport in Ireland played by a certain class.
What changed it?  Zinng is good on this.

Christy O’Connor emerged in the late 50’s to be a international star who, while not winning an Open like Daly,  he was lucky to appear at a time of televised sport.  IN 1958 with Harry Bradshaw he won the Canada Cup – the forerunner of the world Cup of Golf.
IN 1958 the Canada Cup came to Portmarnock and was won by Palmer and Snead.  Palmer was something of a God to my Grandmother.

More people started ot play golf and as times changed, the Police built their own course at Stackstown and the son of one of them was Padraig Harrington.  I think it’s true to generalise that none of the Irish professional who have followed O’Connor are from a wealthy background.  But it hasn’t been an easy straight line development in the 1970’s Ballybunion and Lahinch were in financial tatters when life memberships were sold for pittance.  The Celtic Tiger introduced the idea of high end golf courses to a swelling golf population who didn’t have the background or culture of e.g. Scottish golfers.

So I believe there’s a lot to learn and I would like to read more about this.

Zinng also writes about Pat Ruddy’s role in this. At first a journalist he then organised society days to get these new golfers access to some to the great courses and then of course he built his own course. Pat If you’re reading this it would be good to hear more about Irish Golf these past 50 years.

Finally there must have been a million trips back to Ireland, as buddy trips or with someone’s father and yet there’s no Season in Dornoch or Playing Through or To the Linksland or Preferred Lies...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:39:52 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 09:40:56 AM »
Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look for the Road to Ballybunnion.  May get there in September ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back