News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re: Another new course for 2010
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 05:23:42 PM »
No desire to ever be in Mesquite again. If I were, I'd probably play Wolf Creek, just so I could argue more with Matt...

:)

Beautiful pix, not my cup 'o tea.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
It looks like the results of the shots to make are sooooooooooo predictable.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »
Guys:

Please -- nuff of the noses turned upwards elitism that rages here from time to time. Jim K -- please put down the "classic golf is the only type of golf design" book you are reading. I'd be curious to know if you have played any desert golf at all and if simply prefer the classical school style to any others?

I've been to the course -- walked a number of holes and plan to return for a game later this spring.

Gary Panks gets beaten up by a few people here but his work at Chapparal Pines in Payson, AZ is really good in a number of spots there. The scenery and the land terrain he had there make for some fun golf.

Kalen:

The pics do not demonstrate the contours the actual land provides. How do I know ? I walked the site and it's a good bit different than "photo analysis" alone can provide.

Gents:

The terrain within the area of where the layout is located -- is quite challenging but not overly so in the vein of a Wolf Creek -- which is very close by.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 01:17:29 AM »
That looks like golf on Tatooine!

"Those aren't the droids we're looking for."

I know that even Matt Ward thought that was a funny one, two.

Chapeau Bill - that was hilarious.

If only I could write out the words that the sand people made . . . nope, not possible.

Eric Smith

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 01:29:12 AM »
Maybe you can't write out their words but here is the interpretation:

Rob Rigg

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 01:44:41 AM »
wow - they get a lot of words out of what sounds like "Neeeep, nopppppp" (echo - neep, neep, neep, neep, neep, neep, neep, nopp, nopp, nopp, nopp, nopp, nopp"

The Jawas who say "oochidee" are way easier to understand.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 06:05:13 AM »
Matt,

Make no mistake, I'm not Gary Panks bashing at all.  His effort here in SLC at South Mountain was very well done IMO on a very extreme site to boot.  I was only merely offering an opinion that the maintained areas look much flatter and countour-free as opposed to rest of the site that was left as is which is far more extreme looking.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 10:15:15 AM »
Guys:
Please -- nuff of the noses turned upwards elitism that rages here from time to time. Jim K -- please put down the "classic golf is the only type of golf design" book you are reading. I'd be curious to know if you have played any desert golf at all Yes and if simply prefer I favor it, but I also enjoy modern courses the classical school style to any others?

It seems fairly clear that you didn't read what I wrote, especially where I said that it looks like a fun place to play.
It also looks like a guy in a tux at a line dance.
It also looks like an artificial turf farm.
....but, it's probably fun to play.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt MacIver

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 10:49:44 AM »
What I noticed from the website is that the course is part of a Del Webb/Sun City development, aimed at 55+ year olds.  The yardages and slope ratings don't look overly forgiving for those getting older and hitting the ball less distance.  But I don't know their business model - how much play are they expecting from SC residents, Mesquite residents and LV toursits?  Maybe a case of trying to be all things to all golfers? 

FWIW I hope the course gets good reviews here and elsewhere because based on the photos it's got a lot of eye-candy going for it and I would like to put it on the bucket list for sometime in the next 40 years. 

Course Stats

Tees Yardage Slope/Rating  Par
Black 7232 147/74.9 72
Gold 6751 142/72.8 72
Silver 6378 139/71.0 72
Copper 5889 69.2/128 72
Jade 5310 68.8/111 72

Matt_Ward

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »
Conestoga is not on anywhere near the rough and tumble-like property you see with Wolf Creek. It flows more evenly and provides for bailout options.

I would just hope people would stop lobbing deep left field seat opinions until a few people have weighed in with the only test that matters -- actually playing it.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
I would just hope people would stop lobbing deep left field seat opinions until a few people have weighed in with the only test that matters -- actually playing it.

Where's the fun in that?

I would refer you to pictures #7 & 8.  7 looks like an ad for photoshop and the stone wall fronting the 8th green is, is, is, well...lemme get back to you on that.

It does look like it'd be fun to play.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:17:00 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt_Ward

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 08:36:18 PM »
Jim:

Too many people here on GCA want to annoint / denounce courses purely from deep left field seat perspectives. I marvel at the wherewithal people have in pontificating what a course is about with only photos at-hand.

The land terrain one finds in Mesquite is quite spectacular -- no doubt the classsic nose-up-in-the-purists will scoff at the place but it's more than likely that such a predisposition is based upon narrow boundaries on what and where top quality golf design can occur.

Gary Panks is a talented designer -- does he have the innate ability to appeal to those who prefer only certain specific style -- doubtful.

I look forward to playing there later this year -- look forward to hearing from those who actually play it and can weigh in with something definitive at that time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back