News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

"Son is still waiting to hear from the "Big 3" (Yale, Harvard, Stanford), but has been accepted at Columbia, NYU, Boalt, and Duke so far, so we're hoping he gets in at all of them.

Assuming he does, the really important question is: Which of the Big 3 has the best -- and most accessible -- golf course?"

David Ober:

That is most impressive. I suggest during his interview with Yale and Stanford when they ask him why he applied he should say it's just about the golf course.

That reminds me of a guy from Chicago I went to St Mark's School around Boston with. His name was Phil Armour and he was from the Armour meatpacking family and very rich and more than a little cocksure of himself. Anyway, during his interview with Princeton when they asked him why he was applying he simply told them that he preferred Princeton to Harvard or Yale!  ;)

Jason Topp

A very important factor in choosing a law school should be where he wants to live after law school.  There is so much value in having friends practice in the same city where you live.  I went to law school in Minneapolis and my drinking friends now are partners at most major law firms in town, in-house counsel at many of the major corporations, prosecuters in the US Attorney's office, local prosecutors and defense lawyers, candidates for governor and some judges.  It is difficult to replicate that network of connections when you go to school in one state and then practice elsewhere.

Garland Bayley

TEP,

How far is Princeton from Pine Valley?

"Son is still waiting to hear from the "Big 3" (Yale, Harvard, Stanford), but has been accepted at Columbia, NYU, Boalt, and Duke so far, so we're hoping he gets in at all of them.

Assuming he does, the really important question is: Which of the Big 3 has the best -- and most accessible -- golf course?"

David Ober:

That is most impressive. I suggest during his interview with Yale and Stanford when they ask him why he applied he should say it's just about the golf course.

That reminds me of a guy from Chicago I went to St Mark's School around Boston with. His name was Phil Armour and he was from the Armour meatpacking family and very rich and more than a little cocksure of himself. Anyway, during his interview with Princeton when they asked him why he was applying he simply told them that he preferred Princeton to Harvard or Yale!  ;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jud_T

Yale: Better School, Better Contacts, Better access to DC and NY and most importantly, a MUCH better golf course!!!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

TEP,

David Ober:

Princeton does not have a law school
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Sean Leary

TEP,

David Ober:

He wasn't applying to law school out of high school....

JC Jones

Sean,

I gathered that.  My post was more to Garland in case he was going to suggest it based upon Tom's answer.  I should have been more clear.

Thanks
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Tom Huckaby

Yale: Better School, Better Contacts, Better access to DC and NY and most importantly, a MUCH better golf course!!!

I won't comment on the schools or any of the rest... but you really find Yale golf course that much superior to Stanford?

I have played both and I sure don't.  Both are great, for sure.  I'd call them pretty equal.  Ok maybe Yale gets a slight nod (and definitely a large nod in terms of beard-pulling).. but in terms of playing the courses... John Kirk makes a great point that Stanford is open year-round... but even outside of that, I see them as pretty darn equal.

"MUCH" better just seems to take it too far...

Garland Bayley

OK, lets change that to Rutgers Univeristy Law School in Camden. How close is Camden to Pine Valley?
Closer than Stanford is to CPC and PB?

This is a golf architecture site. Why are we espousing the qualities of law schools instead of the courses next to law schools?  ;D

EDIT: Come to think of it, the closest law school to Bandon Dunes would be the University of Oregon. I'm thinking there may be more Libertarians in Eugene, OR than in the bay area or New England.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:52:59 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Foley

Steve beat me to this.

Yale has a GREAT course, but the after round beer & pizza at Pepe's is "Sand-Hillish or NGLAish" for the experiance.

While Palo Alto has some very nice places, they have no Pizza like Pepe's!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jud_T

Tom-

I haven't played Stanford so it's certainly not fair for me to make that statement.  But Yale is one of the best courses I've ever seen, particularly if the maintenance practices continue to improve, and I'm a huge Mac/Raynor/Banks fan so for Stanford to move the needle for me it would have to be pretty spectacular...Biased, perhaps, but at least I admit it!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

SL_Solow

I have hesitated to respond.  I hope much of this thread is tongue in cheek because the choice of law schools ought not rest on golf, particularly since the work load in the first 2 years will make sojourns to the course quite infrequent.  Much of the information exchanged appears to be based on a fair amount of urban myth and much is outdated.  If you want to talk about HLS, contact me as I am an ancient grad and my son is a 1L.  I have stayed in touch and can help you get a feel for that place.  I know something about the others as well but the knowledge is less direct.

Chris Kane

I would be joining him but St Andrews only do Scottish Law not ‘proper’ Law ;). A wee vast with a game of golf will be in order I am sure thought!
Sadly St Andrews doesn't have a law school - bizarre for such a fine university.

JC Jones

I would be joining him but St Andrews only do Scottish Law not ‘proper’ Law ;). A wee vast with a game of golf will be in order I am sure thought!
Sadly St Andrews doesn't have a law school - bizarre for such a fine university.

Doesn't Edinburgh though?

Chris Kane

Yes, but that's no comfort to a golf addict who wants a Yearly Ticket!

Carl Nichols

You can't even golf in New Haven from November through March (roughly speaking), and it's very unlikely that he'll spend his summers in New Haven, so you're talking about 4 months of golf at Yale vs. 9 at Stanford.  As someone who spent seven years at Northern schools and watched his game deteriorate, I think the golf tips heavily toward Stanford .... and is there any argument that New Haven is nicer than Palo Alto?

As for the quality of the law schools, I have relatively strong views [which also happen to be reasonably well-informed, e.g., my wife is a YLS grad], but I don't want to pontificate on here, so shoot me an IM if you're interested in them!

Even if he doesn't get in either, he'll still be just fine.

cary lichtenstein

Where are the better looking girls??????
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

mike_beene

Law and Golf are two of the most addictive pursuits in this world.They don't mix well if you are serious about both.I quit golf for all of law school and the first 5 years of law practice.I used to imagine my opponent out on a golf course while I was preparing to slaughter him.Twenty years in that zero sum world was plenty.

Matthew Hunt

I thought only Dundee did in Scotland.

Steve_ Shaffer

I could have gone anywhere but I chose Temple Law School in Philadelphia. My home course was Walnut Lane:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/walnut-lane
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

jeffwarne

Agreed.  I could play Yale every day.

unless you vist from November-mid April
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

henrye

David.  Your kid must be very bright & accomplished.  Let us know what he decides and why.

Chris Kane

I thought only Dundee did in Scotland.
So do Glasgow and Aberdeen.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back