News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Son is still waiting to hear from the "Big 3" (Yale, Harvard, Stanford), but has been accepted at Columbia, NYU, Boalt, and Duke so far, so we're hoping he gets in at all of them.

Assuming he does, the really important question is: Which of the Big 3 has the best -- and most accessible -- golf course?

And in case anyone missed me: Yes, I'm back. :-)

Jud_T

Yale easily
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ron Csigo

Agreed.  I could play Yale every day.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

John Kirk

Stanford is by far a better choice.  The golf course is available for play 12 months a year.

Jim_Kennedy

Yale, mainly because he may never be able to find the course, ensuring that your couple hundred grand will be put to good use.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Kirk

You can spend three years in New Haven, CT or three years in Palo Alto, CA...what ever do you do?

David Ober

You can spend three years in New Haven, CT or three years in Palo Alto, CA...what ever do you do?

Well I live in SoCal, so it's a no-brainer for me: I want him to go to Stanford (if he gets in) for sure! Trouble is, he wants to eventually get into politics or go the judicial clerkship route, and he thinks Yale is the way to go, all things considered (though he hasn't considered the golf courses, which is why I posted here!  ;D )

John Kirk

Well, Yale is probably a better all around golf course, but Stanford Golf Course is very nice.  Great birdwatching, too!

Garland Bayley

I hear New Mexico Institute of Technology has a nice course.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kirk

By the way, David, congratulations on having such a stud for a son....hmmm, should I go to Yale or to Harvard?

Yale?  Politics?  Oh shit, he must be a Republican.

John Mayhugh

David,
How the hell are you old enough to have a son going to law school?

:D :D :D

Steve Lapper

Yale:
Smallest school, smallest classes, pass v. fail optionality. Wider variety of post-graduate markets.
After a White Clam special at Pepes ;D, what else is there for a YLS student but to hit the course!

HLS is a factory(large class and larger classes).
Stanford Law, while still excellent, is a notch or so beneath Yale Law.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Chip Gaskins

never played any of the courses, but i do know after living there, that san francisco is the best place on the planet...  so stanford it is!

anything but dook.

Jeff_Brauer

Should go to northwestern for the Jans, eh?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Sweeney

John,

Bill Buckley wrote "God and Man at Yale" as a revolt against Yale and its faculty for 'forcing' liberal ideology on its students. Who at Stanford has revolted against the Hoover Institute?  :-*

JC Jones

Your son is correct, Yale = more options.  In fact, I'd say Columbia and NYU are better for post-grad options.  Unless he wants to stay on the west coast.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

David Ober

By the way, David, congratulations on having such a stud for a son....hmmm, should I go to Yale or to Harvard?

Worse, he's a Libertarian! His mother and I tried, we really did! LOL!

Like Dubyah, though, he's a "Compassionate Libertarian." (TM)

David Ober

David,

I'm 42, he's 21. Can't phocking believe I'm 42. Good Lord....

John Kirk

In general, isn't the Hoover Institute considered a conservative think tank, despite the oh-so liberal reputation of Palo Alto?

I'm biased, since I grew up in Palo Alto, and daddy worked at Stanford, but Palo Alto is blessed with a lot of humble and brilliant people.
If you want revolt, you'll have to go see those bozos in Berkeley.

Patrick Kiser

John,

You took the words right out of my mouth...

Ober doesn't look a day over 35.  Good genes I guess.

Considering the long term goals, the record would suggest Yale I think.

David,

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tony Weiler

David, methinks he'd get judicial clerkships with ANY of those law schools.  Wow, what options to have.  I'm  a lawyer, but didn't get into any of those.  Also, I'm 40 and my oldest is 7!!  Wow, what a difference.  Oh, and the way it looks, he's not going to YALE.   ;D

Jed Peters

Holy crap.

Nice options.

By the way, depends what he wants to do.

If he wants to go into tech/be a nerd lawyer, go to Stanford. If he wants to go into politics, yale.

If he wants to be on the bench, either.

Or, he could go to UOP McGeorge like me and be a loser. ha!

PCCraig

If local open golf options for a law student plays into the descision process then Harvard's out! 
H.P.S.

Jerry Kluger

He should go where he feels he will feel comfortable and do well.  The top tier schools are all outstanding.  For that matter, most law schools today are very difficult to get into and those who do well will get good job offers.  Those who graduate from east coast schools usually stay in the east and those in the west stay in the west so if you are trying to network then consider where you will want to be after graduation.  The judges I've met don't have a school preference when selecting their law clerks.  All the applicants are really good and it just gets down to personalities, etc., just like most jobs.  

Matthew Hunt

I'm going for Law with political science next year. Haven’t thought about Golf but best two offers at the moment are Queens in Belfast and Dundee University. Which as the better golf? One of me mate’s found out today he has got into St Andrews and has only £110 golf dues a year. I would be joining him but St Andrews only do Scottish Law not ‘proper’ Law ;). A wee vast with a game of golf will be in order I am sure thought!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back