News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Best course built last 20 years?
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »
If you had to pick one, what would it be? (Don't make a list, that's a cop out)

[Not excluding anybody to be more P.C.]

Alex Miller

Re: Best course built last 20 years?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:41:40 PM »
I will start it off...

Sand Hills.

The course is in Nebraska, so you know there has to be land fit for purpose to build in the middle of nowhere (that was for Melvyn). I've only seen pictures and maybe someday I'll get to play there, but I believe it uses the land equally if not better than other fine courses. It doesn't rely on scenery or ocean views to stun the player, just great golf.

My two cents.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
Anything by Doak or C&C
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Michael Blake

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
Wolf Point.

michael damico

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
Alex,
I wasn't able to play it - which if you do, they have a 2 week notice period where you must set a tee time prior to driving there (learned the hard way) - but was accompanied around the property on a personal tour. Mullen is in the middle of NOWHERE! One hour from the nearest lodging and food, other than that the course offers. It is a spectacular site that was laid out so that the golfer would see nothing while golfing; a complete getaway from the world. The 'clubhouse' and access is set on a hillside that hides the course. A meandering path, which I would assume is not easily walked (I was carted around everywhere on the tour and so could not properly address if the course is exactly walkable or not) leads you through small hillocks until you reach the outhouse (I forget the name for it, Uncle Ben's Cabin or something along those lines) which is in the location of your typical clubhouse - where the nines return.

The most fun I have ever had on a golf course was at Ballyneal. I could play that course over and over and never get tired of playing it. The quirky features and use of fescues are perfectly complimentary to create a 'natural' course. The dunes are different than that of Sand Hills as they are more 'choppy' with what would be the equivalent of whitecaps to the Ocean or Great Lakes, not rolling dunes. The fact that there are no markers whatsoever is representative of the way golf should be played. I was unable to really grasp the type of membership at Sand Hills, but understand it is national: half of the membership concerned with the prestige factor and their handicap at the "no. 1 course in America built since 1980", and the other half true golfers who love the sport; Ballyneal's membership was reflective of what I would assume was the initial design intent: fun, dedication to the true sport.

So, my suggestion is Ballyneal
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Rob Rigg

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »
Carne - Eddie Hackett - Everyone I know who has played there was totally captivated by the experience and would rate it as one of their best days on the links ever.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »
Anything by Doak or C&C

JC, classic, just classic. 

Ben Sims

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »
I'm sure there's going to be a few Wade Hamptons, Victoria Nationals, Club at Black Rocks out there.  There may be even a Barbougle or a Friar's Head. 

But the argument begins and ends with Sand Hills and Pacific Dunes. 

But the interesting thing is this.  Is there a course opening this June 1st that'll be considered among or even surpass those two as the flagships for modern (old school) design?

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »

But the interesting thing is this.  Is there a course opening this June 1st that'll be considered among or even surpass those two as the flagships for modern (old school) design?

I heard it was better than Crystal Downs ;)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Gene Greco

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »
Alex,
I wasn't able to play it - which if you do, they have a 2 week notice period where you must set a tee time prior to driving there (learned the hard way) - but was accompanied around the property on a personal tour. Mullen is in the middle of NOWHERE! One hour from the nearest lodging and food, other than that the course offers. It is a spectacular site that was laid out so that the golfer would see nothing while golfing; a complete getaway from the world. The 'clubhouse' and access is set on a hillside that hides the course. A meandering path, which I would assume is not easily walked (I was carted around everywhere on the tour and so could not properly address if the course is exactly walkable or not) leads you through small hillocks until you reach the outhouse (I forget the name for it, Uncle Ben's Cabin or something along those lines) which is in the location of your typical clubhouse - where the nines return.

The most fun I have ever had on a golf course was at Ballyneal. I could play that course over and over and never get tired of playing it. The quirky features and use of fescues are perfectly complimentary to create a 'natural' course. The dunes are different than that of Sand Hills as they are more 'choppy' with what would be the equivalent of whitecaps to the Ocean or Great Lakes, not rolling dunes. The fact that there are no markers whatsoever is representative of the way golf should be played. I was unable to really grasp the type of membership at Sand Hills, but understand it is national: half of the membership concerned with the prestige factor and their handicap at the "no. 1 course in America built since 1980", and the other half true golfers who love the sport; Ballyneal's membership was reflective of what I would assume was the initial design intent: fun, dedication to the true sport.

How insightful. ???

I think you are the first to reach the duodenum.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
Gene,

Are you saying he has breached the pyloric sphincter?  Say it ain't so.

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
Alex,

Good thing this really isn't about the membership of the course but about the course itself.  ;D

I haven't played / seen the top 5/10 designs of the past 20 years, heck I've only been alive that long  8)

So why would I know better? o yeah, I don't have to, it's my opinion.  :)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »
Anything by Doak or C&C

Buttboy!
 ;D

Coincidentally I was going to say either Sand Hills or Cape Kidnappers.

Never seen either, and from what I hear Sand Hills is actually a better design.  However, Cape Kidnappers is the coolest looking course I have ever seen!  Would love to see them both one day.

Oh, and Pacific Dunes deserves mention as well. 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »
Best I've played: Rock Creek

Course I'd most like to see: Cape Kidnappers. Looks unbelievable.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:29 PM »
Sand Hills

George Freeman

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 11:35:29 PM »
I think this thread so far has done a pretty good job of justifying Jim's original thread...good or bad; agree or disagree...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Paul Jones

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 12:21:10 AM »
I would say Pacific Dunes; however, I have not had a chance to play Sand Hills....
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Alex Miller

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 12:25:07 AM »
I would say Pacific Dunes; however, I have not had a chance to play Sand Hills....

Funny, that's the only one I've played that I would really consider, but I have seen via photos / heard so much of Sand Hills that I would choose it.

Not very PC, but there you go.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »
Alex,

I know quite a few Sand Hills members and none of them are members there because it is the best course built since whenever. How many members do you know to make your judgement?

The best course built in the past 20 years is Rock Creek by a nose over Sand Hills.
Mr Hurricane

Scott Szabo

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
Alex,

Michael,

I think you are sadly mistaken in regards to your comments about Sand Hills.  It is a club in which its members take great pride in, and making statements like you've just done is quite disrespectful.  I assume you have insight to back up your comments?
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »
Anything by Doak or C&C

Buttboy!
 ;D

Coincidentally I was going to say either Sand Hills or Cape Kidnappers.

Never seen either, and from what I hear Sand Hills is actually a better design.  However, Cape Kidnappers is the coolest looking course I have ever seen!  Would love to see them both one day.

Oh, and Pacific Dunes deserves mention as well. 

I have to admit that my initial reaction is Pacific Dunes.  That course changed my entire perspective and is probably the most influential on me, at least of the courses I've played built in the last 20 years.  The course that, historically, was the most influential on me is High Pointe but that was built more than 20 years ago.

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »
Sand Hills. 

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 11:37:16 AM »
Pac Dunes...At least until I play Old Mac, Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Barnbougle, Friar's Head and Lost Farm!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:41:31 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Blake

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »
Wolf Point.

Do you really believe that or did you feel compelled to post this because you work for the architect?

I believe it.  Of the courses I've seen, nothing compares.  And I'm sure those that have seen it can attest to how unique it is.  It probably all changes though, if I ever see some of the greats already mentioned in this thread.

And I see lots of posts here for courses people have never seen or played.  Mr. Mucci would giving them the green highlighted response for that.  Seeing the course should be the first criteria if one is to 'vote.'

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back