News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Thurs., 1/28/10 - Get To Know Steve Curry
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:38:06 PM »
Steve Curry has graciously agreed to do a GTK thread.

Steve is certainly well known on the site, and deservedly so. His dedication to keeping golfers happy at Shuttle Meadow Country Club in CT is matched only by his all around general good guy-ness. In my neck of the woods, people would say, he's good people. :)

Steve gave us all a good scare a few years ago, but I'm assuming the lack of news in that area is good news.

Please think up some good questions for Steve; he has put together a little bio that will help get things rolling.

-----

On deck: Still not quite running smoothly, gotta check with someone

5 most recent participants:

Aidan Bradley

John Vander Borght

Tony Muldoon

Andrew Summerell

Charlie Goerges

Full list:

GTK participants
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Curry

Re: Starting Thurs., 1/28/10 - Get To Know Steve Curry
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »
Thanks George.  

Here is my preface to this discussion.

Thanks,
Steve
"I am a golfer, and a course superintendent, that sounds very official, I prefer Keeper of the Green.  As a young superintendent in the midst of some fairly extensive construction work I read an article that described the history of our profession and how the origin of greenkeeper was actually The Keeper of the Green and why.  Given my tendency for historical value this enthused me and stuck.  My love for the game starts as for most from my father’s love of the game and the few years of my childhood spent in Hershey PA, a very golf rich town as well as the proximity of our home there to the Spring Creek course.  Nancy Lopez was a celebrity in Hershey in those days and my father was very excited when the Keystone Open came to town.  On occasion I did some volunteer activities for the event and club.  But my strongest memory is of the afternoon that we as a family were at my sisters swim meet at Hershey CC and it was the week of the Open and I wondered off to the practice green.  There a woman was practicing her putting and asked me if I would join her.  The angel talking in my left ear said, bad idea, so I pointed out that I didn’t have a putter.  Relentless, she said, I have another, come over the rope and putt with me.  The swim meet ended and my father came looking for me.  He was upset to find me on the practice green with Joanne Carner.  Surely this memory sticks primarily due to the duress of explaining the situation to my agitated father, but it is a fond memory despite the lack of influence on my ability to putt.

Gardening and agriculture have always played a big role in my family and as I entered the work force as a teen, I soon found myself at the local country club, (Litchfield CT), on the course staff.  I started my college career as an engineering student at Union College.  LCC at the time was presided by Tom Moraghan who often spoke of his son, Tim and his big doings with the USGA and endeavored to rebuild our 7th green during my tenure.  Despite the tenuous nature of the relationship with the superintendent I was assigned to much of the work and found it very exciting and rewarding.  This, in combination with the great excitement about our local star, Rick Christian being hired at a young age as the superintendent at Pine Valley Golf Club really piqued my interest in the profession.  I changed directions and went off to turf school and pursued Rick for my internship to be at Pine Valley.

As a new superintendent at Berkshire Hills Country Club I was able to afford to join the far-out club of those that met online on this site I had known of for quite some time and not had regarded well.  I don’t often follow the pack but in this case my close colleague Kent Lemme, Taconic Golf Club, unknowingly enticed me to sign on with Turfnet.  Quickly engaged I read a thread about the trashing superintendents were taking on a golf site called GolfClubAtlas.com, I joined, jumped in the fray and despite a few brief sabbaticals have never left.  Within a year or so I was at the Yale Golf Club, making great friends and talking Architecture, pint in hand no doubt.
My friendships Golf Club Atlas especially, have not only furthered my knowledge, but more so my career and very much lifted me through my skirmish with cancer.  Last year I had the great fortune to meet up with Mike Nuzzo, a GCA found friend and played at his creation, Wolfpoint and am so happy that some of you were bitching about superintendents10 or so years ago.

I am now the Keeper of the Green at Shuttle meadow Country Club in Kensington, Connecticut, a wonderful Willie Park Jnr. course.  I just finished reading The Parks of Musselburgh and am ecstatic to be associated with such a great person in golf history, “Good!  It Smells like golf!”!

Cheers,
Steve
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:47:28 PM by Steve Curry »

Ash Towe

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »
Hi Steve,

Glad you are well.  How was your first game back after your treatment?

Great to have you back.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 03:46:33 PM »
1. What is the short and long term strategy at Shuttle Meadow? I have never played it, but from the website, it looks like some tree work? How much Willie Park is there?

2. Now that you are in Connecticut which has taken some lumps on GCA for its lack of quality golf, what are we missing in the state and around Hartford specifically?

3. Can you share any of your Cancer scare and survival?

4. Is there any snow outside your window today?

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »
Steve,

Since very few have played it, would you care to describe the playability of Wolf Point as well as design elements there you liked?

Any course that you've played that is comparable to Wolf Point?  Mike supposedly has great beer in the fridge.  Was it THAT good?

Did you get to play much when interning at PV?

I'll never forget that second half performance in the sweet 16 against Georgetown in 08.  Do you have a goal at the maintenance barn? ;) This may be the wrong Stephen Curry?

Seriously, it's good to read that your health scare is behind you.  

Have a great season!

Eric
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 04:04:02 PM by Eric Smith »

Steve Curry

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:55:58 PM »
Hi Ash,

I have to say that I often remember how great it was to hear from you on the other side of the planet when I was in treatment.  I don't think there was a round per se as I went from the reactor to the frying pan as the season started right away.  But it sure was special to be back on the course and I have had some incredible rounds, not score since and am looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Steve

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:22:14 PM »
Steve, when you got on the GCA.com site and started reading threads and posts, did you find that superintendents were indeed being "trashed?"

I haven't really found that to be the case but I've only been on here about 8 years.   ;)  What are your thoughts, do you still find supers being trashed here?

When I was chairman of the golf and green committee at our club, I used to take our young superintendent into the office and log onto GCA.com so I could show him photos of how the grass around fairway bunkers really SHOULD be cut at fairway length.  It wasn't easy to find examples, but I usually post a photo of #12 (Open routing) at Hoylake as an example of how it ought to be.   What are your thoughts about this look?

We definitely share a love of Wolf Point, the best new course I've played since Pacific Dunes.

Steve Curry

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 04:23:23 PM »
1. What is the short and long term strategy at Shuttle Meadow? I have never played it, but from the website, it looks like some tree work? How much Willie Park is there?
The first part of the question is in the works we are looking at contours, trees and the usual suspects but all told I have to say it is excellent! Second, there has been only minor changes, let's say that if Dick Wilson were alive and walked across our 18th green or most for that matter he would call it Willie's.  It is probably 85% untouched.

2. Now that you are in Connecticut which has taken some lumps on GCA for its lack of quality golf, what are we missing in the state and around Hartford specifically?
Shuttle Meadow ;)

3. Can you share any of your Cancer scare and survival?

For quite some time leading up to the fall of 2006 I felt something was wrong with me, stop snickering, in the fall my eyesight started to be off.  I attributed to needing a new prescription and was too busy.  I felt very much as though I was having stroke symptoms after Thanksgiving and went to the ER.  While there I was instructed to be sure to see and Ophthalmologist, soon.  I did and my glasses were fine.  I had a palsy affecting my sight.  The Doctor sent me home to return in a week to see if there was any change, week later no change and I was sent for an MRI.  The day after the MRI which was done at 9:30 at night I received a call that I was to report to the ER for further testing.  Knowing full well it wasn’t for further testing I had my assistant drive me.  At the ER my nurse, Debbie from New Zealand informed me that I had a large brain tumor.  I was afraid to call my parents, as believe it or not, my dad was coming home that day from his killer chemo treatment in FLA for the first time in over a month.
My surgery was a tremendous success thanks in greater part to the care of Dr. Allan Kantrowitz, genius.  My post-op MRI reading was that the tumor was 99% removed.  He had told me 85% and I asked why the difference and he said 99 is too close to perfect.
Through the winter I took chemo and received radiation which was followed by a stronger chemo protocol through the summer.  I was fortunate in that the chemo is pill form and didn’t seem to affect me too badly or so I thought.  It wasn’t until the winter of 2008 that I realized my energy had slowly been declining from the tumor and that the chemo carried that feeling forward till it wore off.  At some point late fall or early winter I noticed my energy level going back to that of 10 or 15 years prior.  I won a skirmish and will more than likely lose the battle someday, not without a fight.

4. Is there any snow outside your window today?
No

Steve Curry

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »
Hi Bill,

I think we came here in droves at that point and the thread in particular was somewhat offensive but the site was very intriguing and I owe much of my architectuarl knowledge to it.  I remember Ran asking me questions about the bunkering at Berkshire Hills and feeling like I had no idea.  I find the site to be mostly pleasnt so long as you stay away from Merion, as a subject. ;)

Thanks,
Steve

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 04:37:14 PM »
I have always thought supers were treated pretty well on here, and most deservedly so. It seemed to me that most of the criticism was with the marching orders given to our friendly Keepers of the Green. Also, sometimes friendly give and take with other posters might have been misunderstood.

Steve, without getting too personal, did you find that your recovery process allowed you to experience the golf course in a different manner that gave some new insights? Apologies if that doesn't make sense.

Any interesting stories about teeing it up with other GCAers?

How come I never win your annual contest? :) Just kidding on that one; besides, I missed out this year, little cash flow snafu with my biz.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Curry

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »
Steve,

Since very few have played it, would you care to describe the playability of Wolf Point as well as design elements there you liked?

I sat with Mike at a Architecture Seminar with, Tom Marzalof(sp) at a GCSAA show and I can't believe that within a few short years I got play his design.  It is probably the most playable new course I have had the great fortune to play.  I would like to say it was the wind but I didn't play it that well but it embodies the intent of having great shots chalenged and allowing for less aggresive strategy that is also challenged.  Shot options abound.

Any course that you've played that is comparable to Wolf Point?  Mike supposedly has great beer in the fridge.  Was it THAT good?
YES

Did you get to play much when interning at PV?
I was very fortunate to have been there when I was as I'm told the rules have changed.  We played at least a few holes an evening.  Probably added up to twice a week for 5 months, wow what a place.

I'll never forget that second half performance in the sweet 16 against Georgetown in 08.  Do you have a goal at the maintenance barn?  This may be the wrong Stephen Curry?
My cousin

Seriously, it's good to read that your health scare is behind you.  

Have a great season!

Eric
Thanks,
Steve

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
Steve:

I am co-chair of my green committee starting this year.  We also have a new "keeper of the green" taking over the head job from our retiring superintendant with 40 years of experience.  

What advice do you have for new superintendants?

What advice do you have for new green committee chairs?

Steve Curry

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »
I have always thought supers were treated pretty well on here, and most deservedly so. It seemed to me that most of the criticism was with the marching orders given to our friendly Keepers of the Green. Also, sometimes friendly give and take with other posters might have been misunderstood.
For the most part this was decades ago, scary

Steve, without getting too personal, did you find that your recovery process allowed you to experience the golf course in a different manner that gave some new insights? Apologies if that doesn't make sense.
I'm have calmed substantially and I do feel more in tune.

I thought Pat was a prick till I met him at Yale.  I can't remember how the matches played out at Wolfpoint but that sure is a highlight.

How come I never win your annual contest? :) Just kidding on that one; besides, I missed out this year, little cash flow snafu with my biz.  I have sold a lot of winners on here, keep trying or come visit me for a round.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:04:39 PM by Steve Curry »

Steve Curry

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
Steve:

I am co-chair of my green committee starting this year.  We also have a new "keeper of the green" taking over the head job from our retiring superintendant with 40 years of experience.  

What advice do you have for new superintendants?
Diversify your base of knowledge, learn how to manage with less water, network and read.  One of my favorite maxims I learned from a management class while at UMASS, "To be successful you need only work half days" , the quote goes on, "12 hours for work and the rest for everything else".  I think it was a hotel owner, Hilton maybe but I think that suits our life.

What advice do you have for new green committee chairs?
The best situation for me involves feeling very comfortable to speak my mind and knowing I am being heard.  I don't expect everything, just most.  That sounds flip but in my case I spend much of my time awake trying to improve the course and club for which I work, and know my business best.  Best of luck, you seat is usually hot

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:21:49 PM »

I thought Pat was a prick till I met him at Yale.  i can't remember how the matches played out at Wolfpoint but that sure is a highlight.

You may not remember, Steve, but I remember only too well. You, Mike and I were giving the opposition a solid whupping until Don holed his second from a seemingly impossible spot on the tenth. From then on, only bad things happened....
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve Curry

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 07:01:44 PM »
Adam,

Sadly, I do remember that shot just not the overall outcome, but what a great time.

Cheers,
Steve

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »
Steve,
Hope all is well with you and your family.
Are you going to SD?
I also remember that shot, but hadn't thought about it for a while. Glad you and Adam brought it up ;D
I think we had Fat Tire on tap when you were here? If so, is it in your top 10?
How was your summer, did it ever get warm?
We had a very dry, hot summer (severe drought) followed by rain, cloudy weather and cold (for us) since early fall. Tough year on the gulf coast.
What's new is your agronomic plan for '10?

Cheers, Don

Steve Curry

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 06:57:28 AM »
Steve,
Hope all is well with you and your family.
Outstanding, Thanks and yours?
Are you going to SD?
Can't wait
I also remember that shot, but hadn't thought about it for a while. Glad you and Adam brought it up ;D
same for me but not as glad as you!
I think we had Fat Tire on tap when you were here? If so, is it in your top 10?
Top 3, though I hate lists - just like golf, pints vary significantly  due to other factors, like company, locale, cost and environment.  Those days are in my top 3 with pints at the Staffin at the Ryder cup and those with my Father in Telluride.
How was your summer, did it ever get warm?
We had a dream summer as far as not needing to irrigate, but the obvious trade off is less golf and crappy conditions, punky soil, you know.
We had a very dry, hot summer (severe drought) followed by rain, cloudy weather and cold (for us) since early fall. Tough year on the gulf coast.
What's new is your agronomic plan for '10?
Pray for better weather, reduce shade and stress, more aerification, topdressing and drainage, wish me luck

Cheers, Don

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »
Steve,

I've always wondered, what does a super of a northern course do in the winter?

Given the present economic conditions, though I don't know whether it's affected your club, do you have any plans to cut your budget?  If so, is it better to cut labor, water, fertilizers or something else?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 08:22:58 AM »

Hi Steve

I am wondering as a ‘Keeper of The Green’ do you think we have made the whole process just far to complicated ?

Never setting foot on North Americas, I am told that many over there love to see the super manicured courses, the right depth of the colour green and perhaps just too perfect a course when comparing it to the adjacent land. However my question refers to the adjacent countryside, does it, being left to the mercy of the more natural climate and growing conditions of the regional have any adverse effect on your course. By that I am thinking of the warnings we hear about along the lines of the GM crops contaminating the normal crops in the region, albeit in this case it’s the reverse (the unnatural condition of the course vs. the natural countryside).   

I am a lover of the natural courses, I feel no need for super green well maintained grass, preferring to accept it more in the rough and ready state as one would normally expect a GB course to look. It seems to keep both my mind and feet firmly focused on the course am actually playing upon. Which is your preference, the super green manicured or the more natural rough and ready courses?

Melvyn

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »
Steve,
How hard was it for you to give up BHCC?

The two clubs aren't more than 60 miles apart as the crow flies, but it seems like every other year some agronomical issue strikes in one band and not the other. Was there much in the way of transitioning from one club to the other?

I had an informative afternoon the last time I saw you, in upstate NY, and I had wanted to ask you a question but forgot. As you may recall one of the topics was about double cutting greens, and how little actual speed that added to a green. Do you think that's accepted my many of your fellow K'sOTG?

How much gas have you saved this year traveling to/from work?  ;)

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Steve Curry

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 10:03:34 AM »

Hi Steve

I am wondering as a ‘Keeper of The Green’ do you think we have made the whole process just far to complicated ?

Life or Golf?  Short answer YES.  Long answer it is a train that not only golf but humanity for the most part climbed on God only knows when the courage to get off the train escapes me for now.  I often check up on Albert Einstein's perspective and am amazed, "■I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best both for the body and the mind."

Never setting foot on North Americas, I am told that many over there love to see the super manicured courses, the right depth of the colour green and perhaps just too perfect a course when comparing it to the adjacent land. However my question refers to the adjacent countryside, does it, being left to the mercy of the more natural climate and growing conditions of the regional have any adverse effect on your course. By that I am thinking of the warnings we hear about along the lines of the GM crops contaminating the normal crops in the region, albeit in this case it’s the reverse (the unnatural condition of the course vs. the natural countryside).

I correct those that refer to meadow grass areas as naturlized, most often for aesthetic value they are extensively managed by most contrived means.  I try to keep these areas low maintenance with occasional manual weeding.  I have in the past left the adjacent areas untouched beyond an annual feild mowing and had no adverse effects to the golf course.
I am a lover of the natural courses, I feel no need for super green well maintained grass, preferring to accept it more in the rough and ready state as one would normally expect a GB course to look. It seems to keep both my mind and feet firmly focused on the course am actually playing upon. Which is your preference, the super green manicured or the more natural rough and ready courses?

I have a colleague in Massachusettes that likes to say he wants "to see the turf growing towards the fertilizer building", which is fine if your soils, turf and play are accomodating otherwise you meet the demands required.

Melvyn

Steve Curry

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 10:16:44 AM »
Steve,

How hard was it for you to give up BHCC?
Yes, As a fully engaged Keeper of the Green I adopt the course as my step family.  I often refer to the greens as my 18 step children and the practice greens as devil's spawn.  It has made my home life whole which has been a blessing.

The two clubs aren't more than 60 miles apart as the crow flies, but it seems like every other year some agronomical issue strikes in one band and not the other. Was there much in the way of transitioning from one club to the other?

Driving South rather than North, being able to pass the trucks I get behind and traveling every day.  As far as the course goes, Crabgrass is about the only big difference it was cooler at BHCC which is nice but this last season was nothing to judge by, it was as wet here as there.

I had an informative afternoon the last time I saw you, in upstate NY, and I had wanted to ask you a question but forgot. As you may recall one of the topics was about double cutting greens, and how little actual speed that added to a green. Do you think that's accepted my many of your fellow K'sOTG?

Yes, extensively.  As with anything the best results are dependant on all of the usual variables especially weather.

How much gas have you saved this year traveling to/from work?  ;)

None, I now drive every day, which makes for more miles.  As you may recall the distance to Pittsfield was too great to travel every day and have time left so I would only travel 2-3 times a week and would otherwise stay with a freind.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »
Steveo
I can't seem to recall that shot of Mahaffey's....
It was one of the most difficult on the course.
He was so far out of position I thought he'd be lucky to make a 4 not a 2.
I'm waiting for your return for our rematch - I was surprised how good the new beer tasted recently.

How old is your maintenance facility?
Have you found some old, old things?
Dig up anything weird?
How are the members treating you?
How much do you play there?

A highlight for me in New Orleans last year was seeing you enjoying yourself at the Turfnet evening.

Thank you for your comments about Wolf Point.
That was a great weekend.

Last question in this post...
Where do you take your early morning walks?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 12:20:40 PM »
1. What is the best course you have played/seen?
2. How do you think greenkeeping will progress in the future?
3. It might not be the place (and I don't want this turning into a political slugging-match) yet I am studying American politics, and considering your history what do you think of Obama’s Healthcare reforms?

All the Best;

Matthew

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back