News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

The Eden at Old Macdonald
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:08:34 PM »
I think there is general consensus among those who have played the original at St Andrews, #11 (High Hole Home) on the Old Course, that all the attempts to recreate this hole and the spirit of its varied challenges have been less than successful.  I know that the Eden holes on the half dozen Macdonald-Raynor courses I've played haven't been up to the challenge.

For those who have played the Eden #2 at Old Macdonald and have the rest of the background (played the Old Course Eden and some other US efforts at the Eden), what's your opinion?  I would love to hear from Tom Doak and George Bahto on this subject!

And of course I am excited about the prospect of a visit out there, most likely in 2011.

Kevin Pallier

Re: The Eden at Old Macdonald
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:45:42 PM »
Bill

Nothing beats the original in my book. The setting is superb and whilst at the time I cursed myself in going over the back of the green - it made me truly appreciate the beauty of the hole. That said - the Eden at Fishers Island is a darn close second for mine.

I like the Old Macdonld version but I would put it behind those above.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »
Bill:

Nobody has really played the Eden hole at Old Macdonald yet.  It won't be for real until the green gets up to speed and the wind is blowing from the north -- THEN we'll see how it compares.

I don't expect anyone to think it's better than the original.  None of Macdonald's versions were even close.  I do think we did better than most of those, but time will tell.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:50:08 PM »
The original Eden at SA is one of the top 3 par threes in the world (16 CPC and 17 at Sawgrass are the others).  Many will disagree but those are my top 3.  JC

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
Bill:

Nobody has really played the Eden hole at Old Macdonald yet.  It won't be for real until the green gets up to speed and the wind is blowing from the north -- THEN we'll see how it compares.

I don't expect anyone to think it's better than the original.  None of Macdonald's versions were even close.  I do think we did better than most of those, but time will tell.

I really can't wait to play it!  The combination of back to front and left to right contours, in collaboration with the deep, DEEP Hill and Strath bunkers, make the Eden at TOC one of the most difficult par 3s anywhere.  How would you say those elements compare to Old Mac?

I guess the two prevailing winds at TOC are dead in your face and dead behind.  How does that compare to Old Mac?

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6mItfwFRfM-a5g1KwSFfVQ?feat=directlink

Not the best picture of the Strath at Old Mac, but its the best I have from construction.  I predict it will catch more balls putted off the green than from the tee.
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:00:39 AM »

On the youtube video of the Eden at Old Mac the front bunker is not as deep as the original. I would assume for playability.

Also one of the features I love about the original is the flat area at the back of the green. It makes for a nice pin placement. The Eden at NGLA has the same feature.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back