News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

6-6-6 Courses?
« on: January 24, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »
We may have discussed this before, but a friend in the biz asked me today about 6-6-6 courses and how many exist. 

I know I have one in McKinney, TX but couldn't think of any others and told him I knew where to look for answers, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Eric Smith

Re: 6-6-6 Courses?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Millstone GC in East Tennessee  http://www.millstonegolfclub.net/

Mike Boehm

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »
The Garland resort in Lewiston, Michigan has 2 courses with a 6-6-6 layout - the Fountains and the Reflection.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
I was a par 5/par 3 short
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:52:59 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »
Only one I know of is "The Experience at Perdition on the River Styx" northwest of Hades.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jamie Barber

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »
The Berkshire Red course in the UK from around the 1930s. Seve also has a modern one somewhere

Ben Sims

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 02:44:10 PM »
I have never played a 6 par 3, 6 par 4, 6 par 5 layout before, though the concept makes sense.  However, I've seen some archies here on the site talk about using par three's to get out of difficult routing predicaments in order to get from the green of one hole to the tee of another.  Like say, the 14th at Pac Dunes getting from 13 green to 15 tee. 

I've also read a couple times around here where an archie has used a par 5 to to traverse long stretches of ground that weren't suitable for two  separate holes.  Like say, the use of 3, 12, and 15 at Pac Dunes to get from the dunes to the coast and vice versa. 

That's why--if the two instances I mention are common practices--it seems odd to me that a course would have 6 types of each hole.  Even though it seems in theory to be a great match play course.

Steve Okula

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »
The Spanish golf architect Jose Gancedo specializes in 6-6-6. Golf Costa de Adeje in the Canary Islands is one I know well, but I'm sure he has others (in Spain) whose names I cannot recall.

I found the configuration refreshing. It's not so monotonous as normal courses with 4-6 consecutive par 4's.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 03:09:28 PM »
Not a 6-6-6, but Los Serranos south course has 6 par 5s and 4 par 3s for a par 74.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
A fraternity brother of mine is from Zachary, Louisiana, which has such a course, called Copper Mill.  Nice variety in the par 5s; one at 654 and then one at 510 two holes later.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »
Roy Cases's Park Ridge CC,a brownfield course, Lake Worth, FL.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
Jeff,
Here's the/an old thread on the subject:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12731.0/

By God, you were right! You do have a 666 course in McKinney Texas.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ryan DeMay

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 05:16:12 PM »
Another old thread I created back in the day.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,14919.0/topicseen/

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »
To take 6-6-6 in a different direction, are there any (or many) courses that are 3 loops of 6 holes each, where the 6th, 12th & 18th holes all return to the clubhouse?

Alex Miller

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »
To take 6-6-6 in a different direction, are there any (or many) courses that are 3 loops of 6 holes each, where the 6th, 12th & 18th holes all return to the clubhouse?

Off hand I can't think of any, and here's why...

If a course had a routing so the 6th 12th and 18th all returned to the clubhouse, the architect would likely tried to have found a way to incorporate those middle 6 holes to return the 9th to the clubhouse. If it was at a course where the ninth didn't return, there's likely a reason for this: not enough land near the clubhouse or more and better land elsewhere. On the other hand, on a course with many holes close to the clubhouse, chances are the 9th 18th and some other hole return.

I will continue to rack my brain though. ;D

Michael Taylor

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
David, that's what I thought the question was in the beginning.   ;D

Anyway, in Sydney there is a layout next to the Airport called Kogarah GC. They have the 6-6-6 layout, although I'm not a fan of it.

Pup

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »

Sorry Jeff but you are promoting the Devil and his work. don't believe me read the following

666 and the Mark of the Beast (or the Course Architect designing cart paths)

666 comes from Revelation 13 in the Bible. 666 is a human number that is connected with the mark of the beast.
Beast is Satan, claiming to be God
The beast is Satan in a brilliant, perfect body. He will appear to people as a glorious being and he claims to be God. He will have many names, all of which are different names for God. In fact, he will have a total of six hundred and sixty-six (666) names.
“No one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666.” Revelation 13:17,18
666 blasphemous names
This verse tells us to calculate or count the number of names the beast has. The beast will have 666 names. When he first comes to earth he starts out with 7 blasphemous names and over the next few months he keeps adding names until he reaches 666 blasphemous names. These are blasphemous names because they claim to be God but they aren’t God. When you count up all of his names there will be 666 names.
Mark of the beast is 666 names
The mark of the beast is the name of the beast or any of his 666 names. In other words, you receive the mark of the beast by taking any one of the beast’s 666 names.
So why does he need so many names? Because he wants to appeal to every person on earth. He carefully select his blasphemous names so that one of his names will appeal to each person on earth.
He will come as Allah or Imam Mahdi to the Muslims, Maitreya Buddha to the Buddhists, Jesus Christ to the Christians, Krishna to the Hindus, Messiah to the Jews, Saoshyant to the Zoroastrians, the “Dark Lord” to satanists, and so on through the whole list of 666 names.
His goal is to win the worship and allegiance of every person on earth.

So the true beginnings of the cart and its flaming trail was born and has acquired a strong following todate, so think twice before you use a cart, it could be the Devils work afoot.

Melvyn

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 06:24:45 PM »
Mrs Morrow! MRS MORROW!!!
Please turn up the drip on Melvyn's medication... ;D

I quite fancy being a Zoroastrian. The whole cape, mask and whippy sword thing does appeal. What? That's not what Zoroastrian means? Oh well, back to dull Scottishness then..

Back on threadtrack. The Berkshire Red is quite wonderful. You might think that a 666 would be really necessarily contrived, but in the playing it just feels so right. The land over which it is laid just suits the layout so well.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brett Morris

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 06:47:14 PM »
Thomson Wolveridge Perrett did one at Mirage CC which is 5 minutes from me here in Australia at Port Douglas.  Constructed in the late 80's but in very poor condition these days.

Steve Lang

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 10:08:10 PM »
 8)

How about High Meadow Ranch's 3 - six hole loops, Magnolia TX..

http://www.highmeadowranchgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=452&page=13686
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »
Steve Lang -

Thanks for the High Meadows post. It looks like a very nice course.

DT

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
Spring Hill CC, Albany OR
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

mike_beene

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 11:22:07 PM »
Remember years ago on Saturday Night Live they thought they had the antichrist but when they raised his hair to see his number it was 999. Also,I believe the house over the tunnel at Bel-Air the Reagen's bought had an address of 666 and they changed it to 668.Four par 5's is more than enough for any course.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 11:30:31 PM »

Morris Park Country Club in South Bend, IN does this. Technically, the 6th green is probably about 250 yards from the clubhouse (you have to pass the 7th tee, the 1st tee, and the putting green in quick succession) but its very easy to play different loops of 3, 6, 9, or 12 holes.

I'm pretty sure I've played one course with the 6-6-6 configuration, but the name escapes me.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 12:07:10 AM »
Remember years ago on Saturday Night Live they thought they had the antichrist but when they raised his hair to see his number it was 999. Also,I believe the house over the tunnel at Bel-Air the Reagen's bought had an address of 666 and they changed it to 668.Four par 5's is more than enough for any course.

Four par 5's may be more than enough for any course, but 6 par 4.5s are a different matter.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back