News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: How do you build a great membership in a club?
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
Bruce Katona,

In many cases, the Pro is not a club employee and runs his operation seperately from the club.

Member owned clubs don't want cash as an accepted medium.

Privately owned clubs probably want to encourage it, just like car washes.

archie_struthers

« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »
 :( >:( 8)

note the smileys Roger as I am sure you are a decent guy though acting like an arse!  My wife and I don't throw our money around to get free drinks at our member club. I'd bet a little bit that I've laid more of my own cash on the line relative to golf than you have so don;t lecture to me as a senior fellow .

You have no idea of my clientele , and how they think . If you  have the audacity to think signing a chit for your drink or slipping the starter cash to get your buddies on for free is why we are discussing this, you are way off base. I respect your opinions and try to listen and learn from those on board here , but your last diatribe shows some basic lack of respect for others...good luck!  

As to my wife...who no doubt has forgotten more about the hospitality business than you or I , if I was going to booze it up , I'd call her to drive me home when I was finished!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:12:38 PM by archie_struthers »

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2010, 01:48:07 PM »
:( >:( 8)

note the smileys Roger as I am sure you are a decent guy though acting like an arse!  My wife and I don't throw our money around to get free drinks at our member club. I'd bet a little bit that I've laid more of my own cash on the line relative to golf than you have so don;t lecture to me as a senor fellow .

You have no idea of my clientele , and how they think . If you  have the audacity to think signing a chit for your drink or slipping the starter cash to get your buddies on for free is why we are discussing this, you are way off base. I respect your opinions and try to listen and learn from those on board here , but your last diatribe shows some basic lack of respect for others...good luck! 

As to my wife...who no doubt has forgotten more about the hospitality business than you or I , if I was going to booze it up , I'd call her to drive me home when I was finished!

Sorry Arch!  I have fought the cash battle many times (always victorious) and the proponents basically
fit the stereotypes I mentioned in my earlier post.  My sincere apologies to you and your wife for my
weak attempts at humour... they were not meant to offend.

Remember I am referring to MY situation.  I am charged with running a private, member-owned club. 
My loyalty is to the owners of the club.  Why would anyone in my shoes ever advocate taking cash when
they did not have to??  The only reason I can think of are the one's I listed above.  And they are exactly
the folks I encountered battling over this issue time and time again as both a consultant and manager.

Seriously though, Arch.  I meant no offense to you or your wife.  I am sorry you interpreted it that way.

Scott Warren

« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »

PM: Even airlines have stopped accepting cash for in-flight beverages, earphones, etc., etc..

SW: I have flown with seven airlines in the past 12 months and all accepted cash for goods - from headphones and beer to duty free grog - on board.

PM: Have you flown Jet Blue ?   Continental  ?  United  ?   American  ?   

They no longer accept cash.  And, I suspect that other airlines will quickly follow suit.

I have flown Malaysia, easyJet, Ryanair, German Wings, Air Southwest, BMI and Egyptian Air. Virgin Blue, Qantas and JetStar at home all accept cash as well. As can be the case sometimes with all of us, I think you are assuming the situation in your country is repeated globally. It isn't.

SW: And as Chris says, outside the USA cash in golf clubs is still a reality. 30-odd courses in 7 countries this past 12 months and I am yet to be told I can't pay cash in the restaurant, half-way hut or bar.

PM: I can't speak to clubs outside of the U.S. but, in the U.S. I haven't come across a private club that allows members or guests to pay for dinnner and/or club services with cash.  Where cash is involved, skimming thrives

If we are talking about the USA exclusively, I will humbly bow out of the discussion, but I don't believe we are, and in that case you need to accept that American clubs run very differently, and it seems in many cases with polar opposite priorities, to those in the UK, Australia and elsewhere.

Plenty of people like to pay with cash or debit card so they can control their spend. I reckon the richer you are the less you might worry about that, and knowing what many US clubs charge for entry and dues, I guess maybe it's just different demographics at work, operating the way that best suits those of varying means.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:42:40 PM by Scott Warren »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »
Even airlines have stopped accepting cash for in-flight beverages, earphones, etc., etc..

I have flown with seven airlines in the past 12 months and all accepted cash for goods - from headphones and beer to duty free grog - on board.

And as Chris says, outside the USA cash in golf clubs is still a reality. 30-odd courses in 7 countries this past 12 months and I am yet to be told I can't pay cash in the restaurant, half-way hut or bar.

I was startled on a Delta flight to Phoenix 10 days ago that the flight attendants could only take credit cards for drinks and snacks.  No cash on Delta.

Mark_F

« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »
 Where cash is involved, skimming thrives

That's quite a sad attitude.

Sean Leary

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2010, 03:24:59 PM »

But Pat is right, unfortunately...

David_Elvins

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »

I suspect it might be another example of cultural differences.  In countries where bar staff and waitresses are paid a higher minimum wage (2-3 times the American wage) there would be less skimming. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark_F

« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2010, 04:07:06 PM »

The price of a Hamburger at a golf club in the USA must be extraordinary, if by paying in cash the temptation to skim a few bucks is worth losing your job over.

David_Elvins

« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
As a patron, I have the utmost respect regarding the old school (and European... I guess) ways
of running a club.  I love being able to grease the starter to get a free bucket of range balls and
sneaking your buddy on for $10.

Roger,

Thanks for your earlier reply.  Makes sense to me.  I would not however, recommend throwing tip money around in Great Britain.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
Yet another way to look at it... for a C-corp.

Assume a bartender is worth $12 on the open market.  Hire someone
at $5 per hour and tell him/her to steal around $7 per hour.

1.  You don't have to pay 7.65% FICA on that $7 (saves $0.53)
2.  It doesn't count against your workers comp rate (save $0.02)
3.  You don't have to report that $7 as sales so no 35% corporate tax either (save $2.45)

By allowing the theft... you are saving $3 an hour in taxes opposed to
the law abiding citizen who actually paid the bartender $12 per hour.

This is brilliant!  And I have seen it PRACTICED at a bar I worked at in college.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »

PM: Even airlines have stopped accepting cash for in-flight beverages, earphones, etc., etc..

SW: I have flown with seven airlines in the past 12 months and all accepted cash for goods - from headphones and beer to duty free grog - on board.

Have you flown Jet Blue ?   Continental  ?  United  ?   American  ?   

They no longer accept cash.  And, I suspect that other airlines will quickly follow suit.

I have flown Malaysia, easyJet, Ryanair, German Wings, Air Southwest, BMI and Egyptian Air. Virgin Blue, Qantas and JetStar at home all accept cash as well. As can be the case sometimes with all of us, I think you are assuming the situation in your country is repeated globally. It isn't.

It's the emerging trend.

SW: And as Chris says, outside the USA cash in golf clubs is still a reality. 30-odd courses in 7 countries this past 12 months and I am yet to be told I can't pay cash in the restaurant, half-way hut or bar.

I can't speak to clubs outside of the U.S. but, in the U.S. I haven't come across a private club that allows members or guests to pay for dinnner and/or club services with cash.  Where cash is involved, skimming thrives

If we are talking about the USA exclusively, I will humbly bow out of the discussion, but I don't believe we are, and in that case you need to accept that American clubs run very differently, and it seems in many cases with polar opposite priorities, to those in the UK, Australia and elsewhere.

I'm well aware of the situation outside of the U.S.
I confined my comments to clubs where I had personal experience, which are in the U.S. in recent times.

Plenty of people like to pay with cash or debit card so they can control their spend. I reckon the richer you are the less you might worry about that, and knowing what many US clubs charge for entry and dues, I guess maybe it's just different demographics at work, operating the way that best suits those of varying means.

It's got nothing to do with the wealth of the member or purchaser of goods/services.
It's the institution that's the moving factor.

mike_beene

« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2010, 10:42:33 PM »
140,000 miles on American last year. No cash accepted.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
140,000 miles on American last year. No cash accepted.
I just flew U.S. Airways and Delta (including former Northwest).  Delta does not accept cash.  U.S. Airways prefers you use a credit card, but will still take cash if you ask them to.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back