News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Re: Starting Fri., 1/22 - Get To Know Aidan Bradley
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
Aidan,

What is the best photoshop technique for improving photos of golf courses that everyone should know?

Having problems with cutting and pasting in skies, David?

You could always try making a selection from a channel.

Reef Wilson

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »
Aidan,
Do the golf courses make sure the course is completely clear for you or do you ever have to work around groups playing?
Have you ever gone to a shoot and got completely shut out with the weather?
Cheers,
Reef

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 11:56:15 PM »
Ed,

Twenty odd years ago I went home to Ireland for a week to celebrate my brothers wedding. Upon arrival my mother asked me to drive to Millstreet, a small town near Cork where I was born, to pick up my younger sister who was attending a local convent. The Reverend Mother would not release my sister but suggested I return some three hours later.

Millstreet is not a very large town (population 1400) but boasts more pubs per capita than most Irish Villages. It was a typically miserable Irish day so I searched for a pub that had a warm fireplace to pass a couple of hours.

When I finally found the perfect spot I bellied up to the bar and ordered a pint. It didn't take long to realize that there was only one other warm soul in the establishment. I spotted this wonderful gentleman sitting at the end of the room by the window. I have never been one to take pictures of other's  but something within pushed me through my shyness to approach this man.

I asked him if I could take his picture and without hesitation he agreed. As I fumbled with my camera equipment I noticed he was preparing himself for the photograph. I asked him to leave everything just as it was and to lift his glass  in a typical Irish salute, Slainte (to your health).

I nervously snapped off three shots. As I was putting away my equipment I noticed him pulling back his coat, revealing a jacket underneath. Opening his jacket he delved into a breast pocket in his vest. He pulled out a little plastic purse which he squeezed open and extricated a few coins. He stretched out his hand and offered me a few shillings.

"What are you doing", I said. "You took me likeness, I have to pay you".

I called over the bartender  and ordered a couple of pints of Guniness. His name was Owen Riordan. He had worked all his life in the fields, behind horses ploughing and tilling (check out his hands). He had never left the village but did have some friends who had sailed to the "new world". Sacramento.

Upon my return to California I made some prints and sent them to him. I never heard from him again but it wasn't important. I have been paid a lot of money to photograph grass but images like this are priceless. I am glad that it has given you a little pleasure.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »
What is the best photoshop technique for improving photos of golf courses that everyone should know?

David,

Without being flippant, start with a good image and you won't need to use photoshop. What do you tell your girlfriend, please put on some lipstick........

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 12:05:23 AM »
Which golf course photographers are YOUR favorites?

Also, which courses that you haven't photographed do you most want to?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:07:00 AM by Philip Young »

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 12:05:53 AM »
Do the golf courses make sure the course is completely clear for you or do you ever have to work around groups playing?

Take the course as it is. Unless the course is closed for some reason you have to work around the paying customers. It makes it more of a challenge.

Have you ever gone to a shoot and got completely shut out with the weather?

Many times. I have spent eleven days at Ballyliffin and I am still not done.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 12:09:45 AM »
Which golf course photographers are YOUR favorites?

Phillip,

Please forgive me for repeating myself but.......

"There are several of my peers whose work I enjoy and who motivate me on a regular basis. You will forgive me for not mentioning their names but just look at the magazines and beautiful coffee table books replete with stunning golf landscape images and you will know who they are."

If I was to single anyone out it would be hard to get strokes off them the next time we played.

Aidan.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 12:13:12 AM »
Can Munster win the Heinken Cup this year?

Yes, as long as a Frenchman doesn't miss-handle the ball..........

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 12:32:27 AM »
Is it typical of photographers to make slight modifications (ie. removing power wires) on almost all photos in today's age of software.

Ian,

If you hired me to take a photograph of your girlfriend or wife and she had a little mole on her cheek that detracted from her over all beauty, would you like me to remove it?

If I was hired to shoot one of your courses and there was something in the image that diverted their attention from your artistry, yes I would remove it. My job, our job, is to make the product look as good as possible. We (photographers), like you, have tools at our disposal to do the best possible job. Not to do so, makes no sense.

Neil Regan

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 02:11:36 AM »

What brought you to this website?

Three years ago my web guru alerted me to the fact that someone was using one of my images without permission (on this site). One of the only times that I was happy that someone had "borrowed" one of my images as it brought me this wonderful forum.

Aidan,

That might have been me who posted your pictures. Here is the thread from 2005, titled

Some great pictures, Ireland and elsewhere

I apologize if I should not have done that. I started the thread with a link to your site,

click here for Aidan Bradley's photos

and thought that showing some of your shots would encourage visitors.

Neil Regan

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Mark_F

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 03:34:53 AM »
Aidan,

Are the things you most miss about Ireland more visceral, or more memories?

Would Ireland be better if is was a little more like the USA, or would the USA be better if it was a little more like Ireland?

Did you find moving from studio photography to landscape photography more difficult than from Film to Digital?

Jason Topp

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 10:05:47 AM »
Aiden:

I really enjoy the picture of yours hanging on my wall. 

Has there ever been a course that you could not make look good in pictures?  I've grown to distrust your pictures in the sense that you can make courses I dislike look so good that, if I had not been there, I would really want to play the course.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 11:06:20 AM »
That might have been me who posted your pictures

Neil, I am forever grateful and "thank you".

Has there ever been a course that you could not make look good in pictures?

Jason...... No! I was on a course in Palm Springs last week when a couple of golfers came up to me and asked "getting any good photographs" to which I replied: "I am in trouble if I am not". Anyone can take good images at Augusta, making your local Muni look good may be a little tougher.

Not every course I am on is a photographic "Doak 10". I regard it as a challenge. Several years ago I drove from Houston to the Corpus Christi area to shoot a course. I introduced myself to the pro., jumped in a cart and off to the course. It was probably the most visually challenged course I had ever seen. When I left the 18th I was pissed. How could the client send me to shoot this debacle. I picked up the phone, dialed the clients number but thankfully hung up before the call connected. I was going to give the client a piece of my mind. Not a great idea because it was the biggest client I had at the time.

I took a deep breath and headed to the clubhouse. I ordered a double Irish whiskey, inhaled it, and headed straight back to the first tee box. "I am going to get some good images of this course if it kills me" I fumed. I used every ounce of creativity I could muster up. The client was thrilled with the images.

I don't recommend the Irish Whiskey before going to work but in this case it help jump start the creative juices. It may not be apparent at first glance but every course, no matter how "visually challenged" has some hidden beauty. It is my job to find it and capture it. After all, some one designed it, someone built it, and someone maintains it. Somewhere along the line a lot of TLC when into the course. That alone deserves to be preserved.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »
"Are the things you most miss about Ireland more visceral, or more memories?"

Mark, the things I miss most about Ireland, besides friends and family, are soups, fireplaces, and meaningful conversation (a lost art).

"Would Ireland be better if is was a little more like the USA, or would the USA be better if it was a little more like Ireland?"

It depends on which "parts" you are talking. We can all improve by adopting some of the finer, more decent, caring, and tolerant trait's of others.

"Did you find moving from studio photography to landscape photography more difficult than from Film to Digital?"

Both had plenty of prep time. The changes and consequences were well researched.

George Pazin

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 01:29:11 PM »
Terrific story behind the Guinness photo, thanks for sharing it. If you are ever in the Burgh, I would be happy to buy you a Guinness.

Do you dabble in any other artistic fields? Did your photographic training cover any other areas?

You might get a laugh out of this:

When my younger sister (then about 20) was boarding a flight to Germany, my Mom and I were yelling "Be careful! Have fun! We love you!", all those good things. My dad yelled "Compose your photographs!"
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
"Do you dabble in any other artistic fields?"
"
George... the simple answer is no. I have decided to"focus" my limited abilities on the art of photographing grass. To venture outside of that realm would be "pushing it' and tempting fate. Old Irish phrase says: "you cannot squeeze blood out of a turnip". I do on occasion submit a story to Cybergolf.com under the heading of "Golf Photography".

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 05:22:57 PM »
"Also, which courses that you haven't photographed do you most want to?"

Philip........... I think the old adage applies her, "so many courses, so little time". However, since Tom Doak seems to be the "Gold Standard" on this site, I think it would be fun to shoot one of his courses. Tom and a panel of GCA'rs could then grade my work and apply the "Larry Lambrecht scale"  to my images. They would also have to explain their grading. It might be a very useful exercise and we might all learn a little.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 06:09:38 PM »
What is the most/least photogenic Irish course/landscape?

What did you think of Law at UCC, its one of the places i've applied to?

Where have I seen that Guinness photo before?

And finally what do think the chances of Down beating Cork in Croke Park on the 3rd Sunday of September? ;D

Dan Moore

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 06:13:08 PM »
How do you feel about taking photos from vantage points that golfers playing the course will never see the course from? 

Thanks for participating. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 06:14:16 PM »
1) What's your favorite non golf course photo you have taken ? If not one how about 3

Brad..... besides images of my son and daughter it would have to be "Owen", the Irish gentleman with the pint of Guniness.

2) what's the single biggest mistake amateur photographer's make ?

I would guess not understanding the importance of composure and framing. Shooting too much and indiscriminately (sorry Mr Montesano). Not realizing the importance of light and the lack thereof.

3) Do you have one course your dying to photograph but have not as of yet ?

The next one.

4) For us amateurs what's the easiest way to try and take better pictures ?

Besides practice, know how you camera works and what it can do. Then forget about all the technical stuff and just go create. Just like the golf swing. Look at images you admire and ask yourself "what makes that a good photograph"

5) Being from Ireland Jameson or Tullamore and if it's neither and Scottish your 3 fav single malts ?

Bushmills 10 Year Old Single Malt, Macallan 15 Year Old Fine Oak, and Red Breast (also known amongst friends as "The Burnt Titty).

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »
How do you feel about taking photos from vantage points that golfers playing the course will never see the course from?

Dan.......... over the years I have seen golfers hit shots from places I wouldn't even photograph from. As long as you enjoy the image and it creates some sense of the environment within which the course exists, then I have no problem with such vantage spots. From a professional perspective, where I take the image from will depend mostly on who has hired me.

Aidan.

David Scaletti

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »
Aidan,

It’s entertaining to read your thoughts on all things golf and photography. I’m enjoying the insights.

I don’t recall exactly which was the first Aidan Bradley golf photograph I saw, it would have been connected to this website somehow, but regardless of which image it was I do remember my reaction. For the life of me I just couldn’t figure out how you achieved such a beautiful warmed toned expressionistic look to your photos. I still don’t know, but the appreciation hasn’t waned one iota.

Does it reflect the way in which you see the world in general? There doesn’t appear to be heavy shadows in many of your photographs, do you consciously seek this out when looking for a place to put your tripod? For example the image in the introductory post for this thread presents a scene that could easily be interpreted in a dramatic manner, yet you present it in a warmer, friendly style.

Having communicated a number of times with you, via email and phone, plus having read many of your posts here on GCA as well as some other articles you’ve written. it seems to me that your warm toned, expressionistic photographs reflect the person. (Given that my photographs often have shadows and drama in them I pause and wonder what it means if imagery actually does reflect the nature of the creator.) That is simply an observation from our limited conversations. Maybe one day I’ll be able to confirm impressions when we eventually share the oft  mentioned “beverage”.

Keep up the magnificent work Aidan. You hesitated earlier about nominating photographers you admire, specifying any one of your compatriots who illustrate the great golf books as being worthy of admiration. I agree it is a question fraught with danger but I’m brave enough to say that if I could emulate the vision of Aidan Bradley I would be satisfied man.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
What is the most/least photogenic Irish course/landscape?

Mathew........ it's way past your bedtime.  Least photogenic! No such animal, shame on you. Didn't your parents teach you to find beauty in everything.

What did you think of Law at UCC, its one of the places i've applied to?

I received a wonderful education there. My niece just graduated with her Law degree from UCC. Maybe you can caddy at the Old head while you are there?

Where have I seen that Guinness photo before?

In every decent bar in Ireland.

And finally what do think the chances of Down beating Cork in Croke Park on the 3rd Sunday of September?

Slim and none. Good luck.......

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
David,

I appreciate your kind words. I trust you will understand if I reserve my response for a more private venue. Knowing how difficult it is these days in our business, your words of encouragement have found a warm and appreciative spot in my heart. How many strokes are you going to give me?

Aidan.

David_Elvins

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »

David,

Without being flippant, start with a good image and you won't need to use photoshop. What do you tell your girlfriend, please put on some lipstick........

Thanks Aidan,

I hope you don't mind me probing just a little bit further.  

A lot of your photos have a really cool "richness" ,for want of a better word, to the colour (see below).  

If I were to try to acheive these types of affects in my more amateurish photos am I best to do this with photographic equipment or in post production?  Do photographers still use filters etc a lot or has that been superceded by post production techniques?

If what I think is a good scene with good lighting, should I look at the taking of the photo as the art and learn more about different filters and techniques or should I look at it as information gathering and improve my photoshop techniques?   Which do you think is more important? (and please don't sit on the fence!)

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back