News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Are Long Walks Between Tees, On Walkable Courses, Always Screwups?
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »
In response to the original question - no:

Gary Slatter

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 12:40:43 PM »
My two favourites

Cape Breton HIGHLANDS, great long walk on the back nine between holes.

Denmark Golf Club   half a mile walk at least from parking to clubhouse!  through a deer park.  before and after your round!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 12:46:10 PM »
Eric,

Do you know what kind of grass you've got in your photo?  I figured you guys were all bermuda down there.  Though, it doesn't look like it from what I can tell.

Our farm is all fescue and timothy.  

As far as golf courses go where I live, we don't have any bermuda grass courses up on the cumberland plateau.  They are all either bluegrass or bent.  Well one did recently convert to zoysia.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:21:36 PM by Eric Smith »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »
Eric,

Forgive my ignorance about the horse farm ;D

I was gonna guess fescue.....well, because it looks like fescue!!

I guess you're right, my buddy lives in SW Missouri and that's where bermuda starts to creep in.....and you would be north of that.

Jed Peters

Re:Are Long Walks Between Tees, On Walkable Courses, Always Screwups?
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »
It is not so much 15 to 16, but 14 to 15 at Cypress. I think, in general, the crossing of the threshold at Seventeen Mile Drive is an extraordinary passage at Cypress — the anticipation, the stage and the momentary wait are all such a great part of the round.

Great call Evan, and man as I read through this thread I was wondering what the heck took you all so long to mention 15 green to 16 tee at Cypress.

And I must disagree with my man Forrest.  On, 14 green to 15 tee is a nice walk, and crossing the threshold of 17 Mile Drive is meaningful, but to me it pales compared to the walk of all walks, which is what 15 gree to 16 tee is to me.

See, if you're a red-blooded great golf hole-loving golfer, your thoughts about 16 started about two miliseconds after you got the invitation to play the course.  15 also is looked forward to, but 16 is the big deal.  How you did on 16 is what you're gonna tell your buddies about.  16 is where you're gonna take pictures, if you are into such things.  16 is where you're gonna measure your success on the round - you could botch all other 17 holes, but if you get one on 16 green, you go home happy.

So the anticipation is freakin' palbable... and it grows and grows and grows as the round goes on... until you finally get to 15, which of course is a fabulous golf hole in its own right.  So you concentrate on playing that, until you putt out... and then the tought is "holy shit, we're here"....

Only you're not.

You walk off 15 gree and you go through the tree canopy.. where is 16?  You know it's there because you saw 16 green from 15 tee, off in the distance.  But it's hidden by the trees..... only then what's that, a gap in the trees reveals the green again... but then it closes up and you keep walking... only to emerge on the tee, and jesus h. christ, there it is, it is real, what an incredible sight.

Now THAT is a walk.

;D

And then the guys you're playing with tell you to hit your 4 wood, which you do, and nut it, and you come up short still.

http://gallery.me.com/jedpeters#100472/MVI_1556&bgcolor=black

Damn you Tom, damn you.

Eric Smith

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »
Jonathan,

Come to think of it, those skinny horses in Aiken last fall were probably scraping by on bermuda.  ;)

There is bermuda on either side (Nashville / Knoxville) of where I live.  I'm just at a higher elevation on the plateau.  We're 5-10 degrees cooler than those towns and it makes a huge difference I promise.

Come down this spring and we'll have a great time playing golf and I'll show you the farm.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
When Cobb's Creek opened, it was contended that the two lengthy walks on the course were purposefully done to "spread out play", in an effort to speed things along on a public course.   In fact, anyone who has played it would recognize that the walk from the then 17th green (today's 11th) to the 18th tee (about 50 yards left of today's tee) was 350+ cardiac-inducing yards down one steep embankment and up another and hardly fast-play inducing..

Along with the obvious fallaciousness of that supposed rationale, it seems to really not have been the case, or at least the primary concern, but instead a bit of PR to explain what was an obvious glitch.

The real problem was that Fairmount Park originally would not let the original designers remove any trees, so the course really had to be routed around them.

Joe Bausch has an article somewhere which if he ever finds it ;) talks about how they wanted to build a different eighteenth hole originally, but were unable to due to trees.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:17:53 PM by Mike Cirba »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 02:40:17 PM »

Its so simple are you going for a long walk or playing golf. If playing golf - vote with your feet and of course your money by refusing to play the courses again. After all it's only your game that is taking the strain and if you will not speak out, who will - the choice is yours.

Melvyn

JESII

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »
What if it's a nice walk Melvyn?

Some of us don't hit it enough to get much exercise otherwise...

I could probably walk from the 11th green to the 13th tee at Pebble Beach and not realize I had only played 17...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
I've never been there...but folks have talked about a walk thru a tree canopy from 15 to 16 at CPC...anyone care to "yeah" or "nay" that one?

Kinda boring but oh well. 

;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »
I've never been there...but folks have talked about a walk thru a tree canopy from 15 to 16 at CPC...anyone care to "yeah" or "nay" that one?

Kinda boring but oh well. 

;)

I'm with Bill, pretty bland, take it or leave it!!   ::)  ;D

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Are Long Walks Between Tees, On Walkable Courses, Always Screwups? New
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »
Jim

Just remember you are there to play golf not go walking in the park. Thats fun stuff is still to come in a few more years when you go wandering off alone then forget what it is you were doing. But you call it what you want.

Melvyn

PS I use to suffer from stress and tension until I was introduced to Al Zheimers
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:52:12 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back