News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: Prediction Thread: Old Mac in the rankings
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 04:48:16 AM »

But, I'll happily make a side bet with JC that it winds up ranked in more publications than his favorite course on the outskirts of Traverse City, just to piss him off.

You're on, Tom.  If I win, you host me at my favorite course outside of Traverse City, of which you are a member.

I already offered to dig bunkers for free ;).  Name your price and I'll gladly oblige.
You forgot to offer something on your end of the bargain.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:28 AM »
JC:

Just so we are clear, I was intending to bet that Old Macdonald will wind up ranked by more publications than The Kingsley Club, not Crystal Downs.  The Downs is already ranked by every publication on earth, including getting a 10 in The Confidential Guide ... which means that I do not think it can be surpassed by anything at all.

Since you have already offered to dig bunkers for me for free, I don't think that is much of a wager on your part.  I'll think of something better which doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Perhaps we'll make you wear an Old Macdonald sweatshirt every time you play at Kingsley next year.

JC Jones

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
JC:

Just so we are clear, I was intending to bet that Old Macdonald will wind up ranked by more publications than The Kingsley Club, not Crystal Downs.  The Downs is already ranked by every publication on earth, including getting a 10 in The Confidential Guide ... which means that I do not think it can be surpassed by anything at all.

Since you have already offered to dig bunkers for me for free, I don't think that is much of a wager on your part.  I'll think of something better which doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Perhaps we'll make you wear an Old Macdonald sweatshirt every time you play at Kingsley next year.

I know you were referring to Kingsley but you did open the door to me using Crystal Downs.  However, since I was aware of your intent, I will still take the bet (knowing I will lose), and I'll gladly wear the Old Macdonald logo every time I play at Kingsley in 2011 (should I be fortunate enough to play there).
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 10:52:34 AM »
IMO, if Kingsley had the marketing machine and $$$ that Bandon does, it would be ranked just as high as any of those courses.
No offense to any of the courses at Bandon as I love them all and hold them in the highest regard, but I've got Kingsley there as well and no magazine rating is going to change that. 

Tim Pitner

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »
Where do you think Old Macdonald will come out in its first eligible set of rankings?  

Jim,

Why so interested in the rankings?  I know they are significant to developers and architects but why do you as an enthusiast care?  Just curious. 

Jim Colton

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 01:10:26 PM »
Where do you think Old Macdonald will come out in its first eligible set of rankings?  

Jim,

Why so interested in the rankings?  I know they are significant to developers and architects but why do you as an enthusiast care?  Just curious. 

Tim, why do you care if I care?

A couple of reasons:
- something to talk about since it's 12 degrees outside here in Chicago
- I'm a numbers guy so I'm naturally interested in these things
- I'm interested in how our opinions relate to the average joe, the rating populations of these publications and our opinions of those populations
- Old Macdonald looks very cool and exciting and I'm interested in how it is viewed by those who play it and the impact it could have on how they view golf courses after the point, similar to what a round at the Old Course did for me?  Could Old Mac be an eye opening experience for golfers?  Will it be a love/hate thing?  I can't wait to find out.

Good enough?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
Jim...

I love the ratings as well.

I am not in the business at all, so I guess they don't matter to me per se.  But I like to talk about things like what is the greatest album/cd of all time, greatest clutch qb, best world series, etc.

It makes for fun discussion.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Cristian

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
Hardly anyone feels OM may be the best course at Bandon by the look of this thread. Or is it that people do feel that way but just do not feel the magazines will acknowledge that?

Tim Pitner

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »
Jim,

Why do you care if I care why you care? (kidding). 

As I said, I'm curious why people here seem to simultaneously put stock in the rankings and (in my view, rightfully) criticize them for getting things so terribly wrong.  For example, why is anyone surprised that Kingsley doesn't get the recognition it probably deserves? 

As with most things (e.g., films, restaurants, travel destinations, etc.), it's nice to see when a golf course I like gets recognition, but I don't mind at all if it stays under the radar so I and a smaller number of like-minded enthusiasts can better enjoy it.  (Obviously, Old MacDonald isn't going to stay under the radar). 

I guess I'm not particularly interested in the opinions of the "average Joe" and I wondered why one would be.  Thanks for your response. 

Jim Colton

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
Hardly anyone feels OM may be the best course at Bandon by the look of this thread. Or is it that people do feel that way but just do not feel the magazines will acknowledge that?

Cristian,

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.  It's more a prediction of how it will shake out among the rating communities.

I'm sure OM will have its fair share of people who think it's the best course at the resort and will likely be very passionate about it.

Jim

Carl Nichols

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 02:52:04 PM »
3 on any list seems awfully unlikely, at least the first time it's ranked

Jim Franklin

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Tom -

As a GD rater, I have Rock Creek, Pac Dunes, and Ballyneal in my top 15 favorite of all time. I have played 89 of the Digest's current top 100 so I would say I like your style. As for OM, I am scheduled to play it three times in August and can't wait. Unfortunately, the panelists will not rate the new courses any longer as that is now left for an editorial panel. I believe they will also hold off off ranking new courses for a few years too. Oh and I have Sebonack up there too.
Mr Hurricane

JC Jones

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
Tom -

As a GD rater, I have Rock Creek, Pac Dunes, and Ballyneal in my top 15 favorite of all time. I have played 89 of the Digest's current top 100 so I would say I like your style. As for OM, I am scheduled to play it three times in August and can't wait. Unfortunately, the panelists will not rate the new courses any longer as that is now left for an editorial panel. I believe they will also hold off off ranking new courses for a few years too. Oh and I have Sebonack up there too.

Does this mean OM wont be in the ratings for 3 years?  I'd hate to have to wait that long to collect on my bet :)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 04:46:24 PM »
Tom -

Does this mean OM wont be in the ratings for 3 years?  I'd hate to have to wait that long to collect on my bet :)

It won't be on the GD list for that long.
Mr Hurricane

JC Jones

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »
Tom -

It won't be on the GD list for that long.

Good, this gives you guys 3 years to see the light on Kingsley ;) ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back