News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Golf suggestions near Perdido Key, FL???
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:45:28 AM »
Going on a vacation with the extended family in April to Perdido Key, FL and am trying to line up some golf.  Other then cruising the internet looking at courses that all look the same I was hoping to post something and see if there are some good courses I should target to play.  So far I think we're planning to play Kiva Dunes but beyond that at this point I haven't found anything totally exciting looking.  Any thoughts or help would be appreciated?

-Brian

Mike McGuire

Re: Golf suggestions near Perdido Key, FL???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »

Kiva is the best.

If you are allergic to no-see-ums watch out at Kiva. We got bit so bad one year we scratched for the rest of the trip.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 02:59:25 PM »
Brian, let me know when you will be here in April.  Our member guest at Pensacola CC is April 22-25, otherwise I would love to have you over for a round.  How many of you will there be?  Send me an IM.

I agree Kiva is best of the rest.  Lost Key is pretty interesting and right at Perdido but is really tight in spots - the locals call it "Lost Ball" or "Lost Sleeve" or even "Lost Doz."  Not many of the Gulf Shores resort courses are worth much (Kraft Farms, etc).  Glen Lakes has some good holes including a par 5 #17 with an island green that's fun.

Steelwood is a very strong Jerry Pate course that is up north of I-10 on Hwy 59 in Alabama, it's private but might take some outside play.

So summarizing:

#1 Pensacola CC  http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/pensacola-country-club

#2  Steelwood CC

#3  Kiva Dunes

#4  Lost Key

And don't forget hanging out at the Flora-Bama Lounge, a great old beach bar right on the state line on Perdido Key.  http://www.florabama.com/

Another non-golf can't miss is a visit to the Naval Aviation Museum, about 20 minutes from Perdido Key's eastern end.  http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/

If the single girls aren't at the Flora Bama, they're at Seville Quarter in Pensacola, 45 minutes.  http://www.sevillequarter.com/

Oh yes, the no seeums are not found in our area,. those are mosquitos but you won't be badly bothered in April.  Hopefully.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:15:33 PM »
I know I've mentioned it before, but in terms of price and proximity, you could do worse than the Gulf State Park muni. 

If you've got a tight time window one day* and some hacker-ish relatives who just want a cheap decent round of golf, check it out.  It's not over-watered, it's not over-watery, and it's an easy walk too.  No, it's not going to make a Top whatever list, but it's a good deal.  Also, no houses.

* You just can't get around that part of the world as quickly as you might think.  I'd bet that Steelwood course is a solid hour each way.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »
You can also play the courses at Craft Farms,good but not great. Also Peninsula has 27 holes of solid golf. Kiva Dunes is the best. Lost Key is known as lost ball by the locals. Very penal Palmer design. Have played it 3 times -why i don't know. Have Fun,  Jack

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »
I know I've mentioned it before, but in terms of price and proximity, you could do worse than the Gulf State Park muni. 

If you've got a tight time window one day* and some hacker-ish relatives who just want a cheap decent round of golf, check it out.  It's not over-watered, it's not over-watery, and it's an easy walk too.  No, it's not going to make a Top whatever list, but it's a good deal.  Also, no houses.

* You just can't get around that part of the world as quickly as you might think.  I'd bet that Steelwood course is a solid hour each way.

It is a solid hour for sure but just depends on what level of course you're looking for.  Gulf Shores Muni (now I think called The Dock Golf Club) and Peninsula are not close to the quality golf found at Steelwood.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
Cenci,

I'd take the kind Mr McBride up on his offer.  Even if the course sucks, you are always for the better having spent 4 hours with the Captain. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Billsteele

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
Brian-By any and all means, take Bill M. up on his gracious offer re Pensacola CC. He was kind enough to help me arrange a round there last Spring and it is a delight. The Biarritz par three is tremendous. The green complexes and bunkering is pretty neat. For a flat piece of land, it is a ton of fun. The wind seems to be a constant element there and the par three finisher (sitting right on the bay exposed to all the elements with a bit of a volcano green) is a great end to the round. If you make the effort, you will not be sorry.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 12:20:52 AM »
Shouldn't Wyatt's list be handling these questions?  :P ;) ;D
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Brian Cenci

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »
I think I'll take Bill M up on his offer because there really isn't a lot that looks appealing in the area.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Brian

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 10:53:36 PM »
I think I'll take Bill M up on his offer because there really isn't a lot that looks appealing in the area.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Brian

Brian, send me an IM with your dates, look forward to meeting you.

Hopefully the weather will be better than yesterday - 48o with three club winds.   :o :P   I would have been tucked in if it hadn't been a member-member one day tournament............

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back