News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Things not to tell Tom Doak
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:28:22 PM »
Or, probably Melvin.  ;)  Following from the new management on their cheeky new web site for St Andrews Beach:

"Some of the things accomplished  include:

* 33 brand new  Yamaha golf carts (please don’t tell Tom Doak)
    * Cart paths constructed - albeit very rough (definitely don’t tell Tom Doak)

Coming in the near future:

* Increase signage for player benefit - mid December
    * More work on cart paths - ongoing
    * More golf carts - late December
    * ......................."

At least the cart path are in the minimalist tradition, i.e dirt/sand tracks.  In fact this may be the dirtiest course I've ever played.  A shower is definitely required at the end.

And from the tip sheet provided:

"Hole 10 – 384m, Par 4

From the tee it appears centre right is the line. To be placed centre left from the tee makes a challenging approach somewhat easier. The high soft landing approach is rewarded consistently on a smaller green that is magnificent piece of work."

"Hole 18 – 404m, Par 4

A tee shot down the centre can lead to an uneven stance for the second shot. The right side will offer more roll on the drive whilst the left side presents an approach that works best with the contours on the green. Tom Docks (sic) final green is magnificent."

Now, don't tell him these things.  We wouldn't want him to get a swelled head.  ;D

Although having now played the Pacific Dunes, St Andrews Beach and Barnbougle Dunes trifecta it's hard not to say his, and his associates, work is magnificent.

Tom_Doak

Re: Things not to tell Tom Doak
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »
Bryan:

You wouldn't have gotten so dirty if you'd walked.  But don't tell them I said so.

P.S.  You are right about the dirt.  The soil we had to work with at St. Andrews Beach was an unbelievably fine-particled sandy loam.  If you think it is dusty to drive a cart, you should have seen what the shapers looked like at the end of a long day!

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:40:48 PM »

"Some of the things accomplished  include:

* 33 brand new  Yamaha golf carts (please don’t tell Tom Doak)
    * Cart paths constructed - albeit very rough (definitely don’t tell Tom Doak)

Coming in the near future:

* Increase signage for player benefit - mid December
    * More work on cart paths - ongoing
    * More golf carts - late December
    * ......................."

Sacrilege.

Considering the mortgage holders only opened the place because they had to, for the managers (presumably) to be spending money on that sort of nonsense is stupidity.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:01:35 PM »
As an American, I would appreciate the signage, esp. if it helped convert meters to yards.  I would either have to do that in my head or ask the caddy for my 3.7 iron.....
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:04:02 PM »
It is amazing that people have now accepted that the course is really hard to walk and you need a cart.
It just is not that hard a walk but my guess is that way more than half the rounds are driven - and all by blokes under 50.
At least it is open and busy.

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:02:57 PM »
Mike,

I am sure the cart use is not a reflection on the course, but just what people expect at high end public golf courses.

Having said that though, it is definitely not an easy walk.  the wals between tees are long and normally up hill.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »

Having said that though, it is definitely not an easy walk.  the wals between tees are long and normally up hill.

Maybe you are just too much of a pencilneck, David.

1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 6-7, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 12-13, 16-17 are all short walks.
2-3 is downhill.
10-11 is hardly arduous.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 11:36:26 PM »
After the way High Pointe was maintained before it closed, I doubt there's anything Tom can't handle. Especially if it's truth.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Lott

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:59:25 PM »
As an American, I would appreciate the signage, esp. if it helped convert meters to yards.  I would either have to do that in my head or ask the caddy for my 3.7 iron.....

Just add 10%--close enough for government work.
David Lott

Anthony Butler

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 02:38:05 AM »
As an American, I would appreciate the signage, esp. if it helped convert meters to yards.  I would either have to do that in my head or ask the caddy for my 3.7 iron.....

Just add 10%--close enough for government work.

You need a mathematical formula. And a set of those new Ryan Moore irons with just the lofts stamped on it. i.e
  100                              1.09    
   37º     X    60     X       1.00     = Yards to the pin

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:41:46 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Brian Phillips

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 02:45:15 AM »
It is amazing that people have now accepted that the course is really hard to walk and you need a cart.

That is because the normal human being (especially over 40 male golfer) is getting FAT and LAZY. Now that's a fact.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mark_F

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 02:55:44 AM »

And from the tip sheet provided:

"Hole 10 – 384m, Par 4

From the tee it appears centre right is the line. To be placed centre left from the tee makes a challenging approach somewhat easier. The high soft landing approach is rewarded consistently on a smaller green that is magnificent piece of work."

No wonder some people don't like the hole.  They read the tip sheet and hit it in completely the wrong place.  ::)

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 04:52:03 AM »
Bryan:

You wouldn't have gotten so dirty if you'd walked.  But don't tell them I said so.

Now, what makes you think I didn't walk?  Walking or riding you could get equally dirty.

Now, with some chagrin, I'll admit I did ride.   :-[  But, my over-60 wife walked it all, and was equally dirty.  In my defense it was a sunny breezy 44*C (112*F for you Yanks) day and if I'd walked, I would have ended up pulling two carts.  I think we were both semi-dehydrated as it was.  As a side benefit, I was able to keep ahead of the local (non-Buda) pests, most of the time.  One of the things I learned in the experience is what I'm told is called the "Aussie Wave".  And, it has nothing to do with surfing.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 06:46:26 AM »
Ah, fly season.  We all remember that fondly.  Just another reason not to go to Melbourne in January!

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 09:03:31 AM »
Fly season? You people really are unsophisticated, aren't you? That's the new 2010 fashion line.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »
No doubt on that one..

These aussie hats aren't just a gimmick!  ;)

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »

You need a mathematical formula. And a set of those new Ryan Moore irons with just the lofts stamped on it. i.e
  100                              1.09    
   37º     X    60     X       1.00     = Yards to the pin

The way I figure it, if it is 100 meters to the green, it is 110 yards.

In your calculation, your shot over the pond will end up in the water.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »
Nice thread Bryan, but the subject should have said
Things not to tell Tom Docks
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back