News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

drawings and sketches
« on: August 19, 2002, 10:08:55 PM »
Question for everyone, and Ran in particular -

A lot of us probably have drawings and sketches of holes or golf courses we've imagined and doodled during plane flights, lectures, business meetings, etc. I know I do!

Is GCA an appropriate place to scan and post some of these for people to discuss and give feedback? I think this could be enjoyable for some. Or should GCA be reserved for the discussion of real courses, which either exist, or will exist soon?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Brian Phillips

Re: drawings and sketches
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 11:30:49 PM »
Matt,

This is one subject that I think should be used more often.  

I have many ideas that I want to share with the boys and girls of this site but have never really had the guts to do it.  I have some of my actual green site designs that I want to show.  I wasn't sure if anyone was interested though.  I have shown TEPaul one of my sketches but never on this site.

So, yes, I think everyone should have a go at showing their ideas on this site of different design ideas.

Cheers

Brian.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Matt_Davenport

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 04:02:20 AM »
Brian,
Let's see those sketches... There may not be a better place to banter the merits of a particular scheme than right here at GCA!

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »
I'd like to see some drawings and sketches. It would be of great help for me in learning how to advance from "doodling" to actual sketching/drawing. Any chance some folks would like to post?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »
Having done this a number of times in the past, I can tell you that you'll either get a lot of discussion or none at all - usually depends on who is distracted by what.  ;)

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »
Well since no one else has the nerve to show some of their sketches, I'll show some of my own fairly bad sketches in hopes of making others feel better about posting. I've labeled most of them, except the last one which is a rendering of my Lido contest entry.

(Edit: I had to resize them because they didn't fit, you may have to hit refresh if you have to scroll to see them)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 10:33:46 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Emil Weber

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:14:28 PM »
bump

A true minimalist's dream course. GCAers' favourite hazard, water, comes into play on only 14 holes. (when I was 12....)

Emil Weber

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »
Nah, here are some more mature sketches.....

And the par-5 17th hole at the Dream course at Fantasy Bay:

Emil Weber

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 01:24:25 PM »
And the restovation project Frankfurter GC, to be started in the year 2035

Present 15th:

After 2035 (slightly different angle):

And the present 16th:

Turned into Germany's first Redan:

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »
My par 4 where the play is to hit over the green for the best approach!!   ;D

Emil Weber

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »
Good one Kalen!!! :D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 06:00:28 PM »
Good one Kalen!!! :D

Sadly,

I thought I was the 1st one to think of it, but when I originally posted it a year or so ago, a few had chimed in that they already thought of the concept.

Damn I hate it when that happens!!   ;)  ;D

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »
As a matter of fact, this is a conceptual sketch that I think has some possible merit.  The green itself is a tad out of scale as it needs to stretch out some in order for the internal contours to make sense, but the basic idea is that of a series of ridges that emanate from the green.  Just various little ridges that support intricate bunkering at varying depths.  You could do a series of holes like this based on the specific green site, just mix up the ridging a bit to fit what the hole demands:

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:11:53 PM by Neal_Meagher »
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 03:57:28 PM »
Thanks for posting this Neal. I'm sorry I missed it right off the bat. It looks like an interesting design, and it's a nice example of sketching technique that will help me in trying to get better at it myself.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 05:17:17 PM »
I have so many of these little sketches in my college notebooks.  I hope Joe Bausch doesnt read this.  If I scanned in my organic chemistry notebook he would be horrified and impressed at the same time.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »
Charlie,

I've tried various techniques through the years but this is one that I am just starting to get into.  It is a sort of modified pen and ink look but done with pencil (Berol prismacolor, not No. 2's.....) and it is loosely based on the style of Anthony Ravielli who did all of those wonderful illustrations of Hogan for the Five Lessons book as well as many covers for Sports Illustrated back in the day.  It is using parallel lines to create tone and definition rather like ink spots create tone by varying the number of dots per square inch.

Here is a link to the style I'm talking about:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/3100449103_91a180a242.jpg?v=0
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Tony Ristola

Re: drawings and sketches New
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »
Charlie,

I've tried various techniques through the years but this is one that I am just starting to get into.  It is a sort of modified pen and ink look but done with pencil (Berol prismacolor, not No. 2's.....) and it is loosely based on the style of Anthony Ravielli who did all of those wonderful illustrations of Hogan for the Five Lessons book as well as many covers for Sports Illustrated back in the day.  It is using parallel lines to create tone and definition rather like ink spots create tone by varying the number of dots per square inch.

Here is a link to the style I'm talking about:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/3100449103_91a180a242.jpg?v=0

Thinking a  life as a commercial artist was in the cards, following in my Grandfather's footsteps as a professional artist (Impressionist) Ravielli's work was fascinating. Bit by bit my sketching style for golf landscapes developed in that direction. I like it for the quickness, detail, and ability to express contour.

Also love Mackenzie's greens plans. Surely wasn't love at first sight. Originally didn't like them, but realized the brilliance of how they express humps and hollows.

A few from fooling around...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:53:18 AM by Tony Ristola »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back