News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Book

Brauer Minnesota Golf Trail
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »
Paging Jeff,

Our crew is finalizing details for a trip on the Brauer Minnesota golf trail.  Trip should include multiple rounds at Fortune Bay and Giant's Ridge.  Our goal is to time the trip for both a Twin's game at the new Target Field and hopefully hit the courses when the conditions and weather are peak.  Factions within the group have formed on when the best time to plan our visit.  My guess is first week of July.  Others say early June?  Can anyone in the treehouse settle this dispute?  Any help would be appreciated. 

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Brauer Minnesota Golf Trail
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »
Tim,

They have typically held press day from mid June on and any time after June 15 should be good.  I know that play actually doesn't pick up until after Fathers day, but I am not sure if that is the weather as much as when school gets out.

That said, I was up there July 17 last year for a Golf Week raters panel and the temps the first day were in the 40's, an all time record low, so be prepared for any weather at all times.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim Book

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the help.  We are really looking forward to seeing both QGR and WFB.  I think we are also going to try and check out Deacon's Lodge and Classic @ Maddens.  Add in Target Field and I think we have a great agenda.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »
Tim,

If you can swing getting on Northland CC in Duluth, do it. It is a fantastic Ross that overlooks Lake Superior.

I would do that before going to Brainerd (though I do really like The Classic).

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:53:48 PM »
Tim,

Where are you from? I ask because Brainerd, et. al is a different direction from MSP than the Iron Range.  Thus, I second Jeff's idea of Northland in Duluth if you have connections to play.  For that matter, there is lots of great golf in MSP to experience before adding the drive. That said, I think those two are some of the best of Brainerd, but I would stick to the best of Brauer and some of the other courses more in line with your itinerary.

There is a Bobby Weed course out in Stillwater I think beats both of those in Brainerd, east of MSP and its not that far out of the way to play at the Pete Dye course over near Spooner, WI either.  The UM course in MSP is still got a lot of Raynor in it and of course, the privates around MSP are better than anything in Brainerd, IMHO.  There are probably more and others could help you out even more than I.....

Tim Book

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »
Jeff,

I am from San Diego and the balance of our foursome is from Austin and Bellingham, WA.  One of the guys in our foursome has always wanted to play Deacons so we were planning on making the trek west from the Iron Range to Brainerd.  I am guessing that it is a 3-4 hour drive from Tower to Brainerd?  Obviously the trip is build around QGR and WFB.  We will probably try and do 36 at WFB.  Our group has grown accustom to a few long rides.  Last year we treked between Black Mesa and Pinon Hills in one day.

As far as access, our group has tended to find the best public tracks in an area and form a trip around them.  Access is always a challenge, and it seems above the call of duty to try and work in a foursome. 

Shane Wright

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »
Tim,

Where are you from? I ask because Brainerd, et. al is a different direction from MSP than the Iron Range.  Thus, I second Jeff's idea of Northland in Duluth if you have connections to play.  For that matter, there is lots of great golf in MSP to experience before adding the drive. That said, I think those two are some of the best of Brainerd, but I would stick to the best of Brauer and some of the other courses more in line with your itinerary.

There is a Bobby Weed course out in Stillwater I think beats both of those in Brainerd, east of MSP and its not that far out of the way to play at the Pete Dye course over near Spooner, WI either.  The UM course in MSP is still got a lot of Raynor in it and of course, the privates around MSP are better than anything in Brainerd, IMHO.  There are probably more and others could help you out even more than I.....

Jeff, what is the Bobby Weed course? 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:54 PM »
http://www.stoneridgegc.com/the-course/

Stoneride GC.  I thought it was very architecturually interesting.  Another is John Foughts course west of the twin cities, Somerby.  And, the UM course right dab in the middle still gets my vote as a must play, but I like Raynor.  Raynor has another one south of town, maybe Midland CC.  Garret Gill did Mystic Lake and Morrish Weiskoph has one nearby in Prior Lake sw of MSP. 

I mean, there are just a bunch of courses I would play, after the Brauer Trail, of course, in and around MSP before heading to Brainerd, but maybe that is just me.

Shane Wright

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 12:38:06 AM »

Stoneride GC.  I thought it was very architecturually interesting.  Another is John Foughts course west of the twin cities, Somerby.  And, the UM course right dab in the middle still gets my vote as a must play, but I like Raynor.  Raynor has another one south of town, maybe Midland CC.  Garret Gill did Mystic Lake and Morrish Weiskoph has one nearby in Prior Lake sw of MSP. 

I mean, there are just a bunch of courses I would play, after the Brauer Trail, of course, in and around MSP before heading to Brainerd, but maybe that is just me.

Ahhh yes,  Stoneridge....LOVE it.  Outside of the bunkers, it is fantastic.

The UM course is currently my home course and they did an awesome job with the greens this year.

Midland is actually across the street.  It is very nice although not even close to one of the better privates. 

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 04:38:17 PM »
Tim,

The quartet of Deacon's/Classic/Quarry/Wilderness is the best "carved out of the woods trail" that MN has to offer. All of those courses are visually stunning and serene in their own unique ways.  You boys will have a great time!  Wait until after Father's day for dryer and warmer weather.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 04:54:54 PM »
Tim,

I didn't see your response. I can't recall exactly how long the drive is from Brainerd to Biwabik.  When I took it, I was with a local who liked back roads and wanted to stop in a local pie place somewhere in between, which may or may not have been on the direct route!

Deacon is worth the drive, but has a lot of forced carries, including one hit it hard and then stop it quick forced carry combo that I found a bit odd.  I would play it again, though.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 10:23:57 AM »
Tim,

I didn't see your response. I can't recall exactly how long the drive is from Brainerd to Biwabik.  When I took it, I was with a local who liked back roads and wanted to stop in a local pie place somewhere in between, which may or may not have been on the direct route!

Deacon is worth the drive, but has a lot of forced carries, including one hit it hard and then stop it quick forced carry combo that I found a bit odd.  I would play it again, though.

Jeff,

Your referring to hole 4.  The actual landing zone runs 65 yards +.  It is also at least 75 yards wide.  The carry from the white tees is 121 yards.  I wouldn't call that too extreme.

I think at first glance, it appears as though there is quite a bit of forced carry.  However, it is visually intimidating, not true carry.  We play an event every year at Deacon's, The Classic and use to play at the Pines.  The averages scores are the lowest at Deacon's, followed by The Pines, with The Classic the highest.  Handicaps range from 2-24.   

I have grown to really like Deacon's and I typically don't like Palmer courses.  #13 is one of the best holes in the entire state.

Ben

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 11:07:05 AM »

Man, I never thought I'd dare contradict something Jeff said on GCA, but what the hell, he's not a Minnesota native -- he just seems like one, what with the great courses he's done here, and the hockey jones.

The U. of M. course is really cool, but it's not a Raynor. (Thanks, George Bahto.) It was designed by Tom Vardon, Harry's brother and longtime head pro at White Bear Yacht Club. (I've mentioned this here before, but T. Vardon was a hell of a good architect himself -- he also did the Eau Claire Country Club -- thanks, John Conley -- and my home course, Stillwater [Minn.] Country Club.

The confusion stems from the course built across the street from the U. of M. course -- Midland Hills C.C., which is a Raynor, built at the same time as another Raynor gem in the Twin Cities, Somerset Country Club. Jeff will now recall that we played Somerset together a few years back with Dan Kelly, pro Dave DuSchane and member David Frauenshuh. I believe Jeff liked Somerset. I know I do.

Jeff (and Jeff Shelman) as dead on about Northland in Duluth. Make that a priority, if possible. Jeff is right about Minnesota weather, too -- you could get anything, at anytime. For that reason, I'd favor the July dates. Your odds are better to stumble into a bit of summer.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back