News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bentham

Propsal for par3 course @ Bandon....
« on: January 13, 2010, 03:33:43 AM »
http://bit.ly/8PbLY3
the routing and a couple of hole sketches are at the very bottom.  Its a PDF but very cool stuff..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:47:23 PM by Joe Bentham »

Jeffrey Stein

Re: Propsal for par3 course @ Bandon....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:58:17 AM »
Another gem in the crown for american links golf, I hope it goes through.
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:00:08 AM »
What is also interesting to me, as it is the first I had heard of the notion, is the far-north 9-hole proposal.  Practice Range par 3, Trails, Dunes I, Dunes II and Old Mac are in place, the Conservation course is south of Dunes I, but at the northeastern corner of the property is another proposed 9-hole course.  Is that course still a vision or is the land a part of Old Macdonald?  Assuming it to be a championship 9-hole course, the property would be ultimately the owner of 81 championship holes and 21 separate par three holes, with other golf properties nearby.  That's a lot of golf in Bandon!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 08:13:54 AM »
Can't open the link...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 08:16:33 AM »
Right-click and "save file"
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »
Joe-

Pretty cool document and it sure answers the question of what direction Bandon is heading.

To summarize, it looks like they are trying to develop all the courses that they can now, including the 12 hole conservation course, then another 9 hole course, then develop various "villages," then it looks like the last big revenue driver will be the homes...which is a scary thought. 600 (!!!) homes?
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:54:49 AM »
I've attached a screenshot of the proposed new 12 holer par 3 course...looks interesting.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »
No double greens...so sad...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

George Freeman

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 12:20:03 PM »
No double greens...so sad...

Good point...can anyone attest as to why this is the case?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Reef Wilson

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 12:24:20 PM »
Looks like the current upper Trails practice green is the first green for the new course. There are some fun contours there, wonder if it will be changed at all.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:11:33 PM »
George;

At least several reasons, IMO, contribute to 'no double greens': 1) minimal overall area of the course, which when combined with the terrain, results in a routing without many alternatives; 2) the design concept of minimal turf areas/maximized open sand for native plant restoration, which led to greens and tees grouped into common islands; 3) the simple fact that the terrain didn't offer any natural condition that would lead to a double green concept (it might look, from the plan, like greens 7 and 9 could be combined, but the fact on the ground is that those greens are separated by a significant sand ridge).  It is a C&C design, and I am not speaking for them, but simply replying based on my involvement in the process so far.

Tom
the pres

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 02:12:26 PM »
As it stands now, the overall size of the Trails practice green seems to large compared to the others on the course. Changes might be imminent.  :(

Also, that back tee for #1 on Trails will have a lot of action around it.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 02:23:36 PM »
I highly doubt they are going build 600 homes there.  It is usually a tactic used to scare them into your idea.  You start with wanting to bulldoze the land and put 5000 condos in.  When they freak out you turn and say how about a couple of golf courses and 100 homes. 

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how many would go all that way and play the par 3 course? Do other notable par 3 courses, such as the one at Pine Valley, The Olympic Club, or even public ones like at World Woods, receive much play, especially by choice?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Alex Miller

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how many would go all that way and play the par 3 course? Do other notable par 3 courses, such as the one at Pine Valley, The Olympic Club, or even public ones like at World Woods, receive much play, especially by choice?

I'd play it, maybe more than once. Too many 36 hole days back to back can be taxing, It seems like a nice break.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
Great question George, and one I was wondering about as well.

And while Alex's point has merit, at the prices Bandon charges, who can afford to go up there and do anything but maximize the golf experience?  I do think it would be great fun to play that par 3 course, as it would be to play the current one (on the practice range - or that's how it was last I heard) as it is to play Sheep Ranch... but who has the TIME to do all that?  And especially with EIEIO added to the mix, that just adds to the time pressure.

Bottom line is that that par 3 course would have to be the world's best to get me to do anything but think "man I could be playing one of the big courses" if I ever go up there.. that is, I'd be hard-pressed to do anything but regret time spent on there at the expense of one of the big courses.

Now give me an unlimited budget and unlimited time, and hell yes I'd love several days of 18 on a big course, lesiurely lunch, then beer filled 12 on the par 3... that sounds fantastic... it just doesn't sound very realistic, that's all.  What's more realistic is IF there remains time in the day, a few holes get played on that par 3 just to see what's what... regrettably.

George Freeman

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »
I've attached a screenshot of the proposed new 12 holer par 3 course...looks interesting.

On the map of the par 3 posted by Kalen, what is the "____on Dunes Course" cutoff on the far left side of the drawing (you can actually see the light outline of a few holes?

Another big course?!...it's too far south to be Bandon Dunes...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »

On the map of the par 3 posted by Kalen, what is the "____on Dunes Course" cutoff on the far left side of the drawing (you can actually see the light outline of a few holes?

Another big course?!...it's too far south to be Bandon Dunes...

Thats actually where Bandon Dunes 17th hole is on the other side of wash/creek..so it says "Bandon Dunes Course".  Those yellow portions are the 17th green and tee boxes for 18.

Shane Wright

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »
Thanks for the info guys...this is awesome stuff.

Joe, I look forward to reading thru the attachment to the link.

Shane

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 03:37:31 PM »
Tom and George make great points...and certainly if I was visiting in the winter time with limited day time I couldn't see ever squeezing in this course.

But in the summer time it could be a perfect "twilight hour" course to play after previously playing 36 and having a bit of dinner.  Then head out there and do a 3 club competition and yuck it up with your buddies.  I think the resort is also looking long term down the road in terms of having more people living thier year round with kids/grandkids. In that context it looks like it'd be a great place for daddy to spend some time with them after playing the big boy courses earlier in the day!  ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
Does Bandon still have the policy of "Pay 36, play whatever" or something like that?

If so, I'd guess I'd rather wander out and squeeze in 3, 7, or however many holes on one of the other courses.

Of course,The Sheep Ranch is a higher priority for me than some 18 hole golf courses, so what do I know? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 03:49:59 PM »
Kalen - that makes great sense - this is indeed being built geared toward the day they have residents there.  When that occurs, the par 3 course will be very valuable.  Until then, I don't see it.  Yes what you would suggest would be fun.. and that's likely how many would do it.  I just again don't see taking much time away from the big courses for the par three.  And as you see, George is one for whom ANY AVAILABLE DAYLIGHT would be better spent on the big courses, or Sheep Ranch.  I think he's not alone.  And yes George, at least as far as I know, they do still have the "free golf after 36" policy.  I wonder if that would extend to the par three course?  Hmmmmmmm

Pay for par three, or play free golf on Pacific Dunes?

Still wanna go to the par three?

Joe Bentham

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:23 PM »
I see the whole project as a great way to utilize some great ground for golf. 
I don't want this thread to turn into another 'how do split your trip to Bandon up' thread so I won't bother.  But I'll say if your familiar with the land that this course is going in on and your not chomping at the bit to get on it ASAP then we aren't of like minds.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »
Joe:  I am quite familiar with the ground on which this par three course is to lie.  I can imagine without great difficulty that it will be very cool.  I'd love to play the holes, for sure.

As a once every few years visitor though, I don't see it as very realistic to do so, outside of what has been said already.

And given I am more the norm than an aberration (I have to believe), I also believe George's question has great merit.  I too have no desire to get into the tired discussion of how best to split up one's trip to Bandon.  But this is an addition to the fold that well.. is at least quite different.

So if and when I get up there, I'd first be champing at the bit to play EIEIO (never have).  I'd second be champing at the bit for some more time on Sheep Ranch (golf heaven for me).  Next, I'd champ for each of the other courses.  Only then would I champ for this par three.  And given my life does not tend to allow many golf trips longer than 3-4 days, well... hopefully you can understand how I see George's question as valid.

But then again if you want to just say we aren't of like minds, well I can live with that also.

;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 04:10:40 PM »
Tom,

Did you mean chomp as opposed to champ?   ;D

P.S.  You make some good points, so many options up there now where even an epic par 3 course would play 3rd or 4th fiddle.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back