News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Urbina

Southern Dunes
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »
Southern Dunes.

I had a chance to see Southern Dunes a few years back and thought the course was very creative.  A few miles off the beaten path but worth the effort to see.  I e-mailed Brian after I toured the course and gave him my thoughts.  I really liked the par 5's since I know they are hard to do.  

I had the pleasure of seeing a few Curley /Schmidt designs in a few short months that year including the work in Palm Springs and Las Vegas. I think my favorite one was Southern Dunes.  It looked like a lot more creative freedom or maybe it was the topography that set each hole apart.  The bunkers did not vary much from the four courses I toured but the open areas at S.D looked interesting.

Matt_Ward

Re: Southern Dunes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »
JC:

If you like what was done at SD -- you should head as well to Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert, CA. Really neat design with a solid and varied routing and the bunkers are clearly a force with both courses.

Candidly, SR is one of the best available courses one can play when in the Springs.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »
Jim, from talking to Brian & Lee the bunker thing was more a funk "we" got into with clients asking for that look. They would see it on one of our courses and you know the rest.... I'm sure its something Coore & Crenshaw are going through now, as all of their bunkers are basically the same, I'm sure they would like to do something different!..... Maybe.

We've go the ball rolling in China with some very, very different stuff.... it should be interesting to see what kind of style mainstream "Chinese" golfers prefer. I'm looking forward to that.

The course is one of my favorites in Arizona, and is keeping me pretty damn interested with repeated play, unlike some other courses in the area.... I'm glad it went public, just wish it was closer to the masses. At least it affords a really solid/affordable option in the Phoenix area.

astavrides

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:20:53 AM »
JC:

If you like what was done at SD -- you should head as well to Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert, CA. Really neat design with a solid and varied routing and the bunkers are clearly a force with both courses.

Candidly, SR is one of the best available courses one can play when in the Springs.

They usually advertise Faldo as the architect on that course, although sometimes they mention Schmidt-Curley too.  Do you know how involved Faldo actually was with the design?  I like the course.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:34:17 AM »
Shadow Ridge gets lost in the sauce when the topic of golf is discussed in the greater Palm Springs area.

The bunkering and turning points of many of the holes call for a sense of shotmaking one generally doesn't find at so much of the golf located there.

Well worth seeing / playing when in the neighborhood in my mind.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back