News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J_ Crisham

Chicago GCA Dinner: Thursday, February 25th
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »
Gentlemen:     I would like to gauge your interest in a Chicago GCA dinner. I would like to have this on a Saturday evening in February ,potentially the 6th,13th ,or the 20th.My thought is that we could either hold this downtown or possibly in the Oak Brook area to allow for easier access to the suburban guys. One idea is that we could invite a superintendent from one of our clubs to discuss local renos, changes in turf practices etc. I would appreciate anyone willing to help coordinate this with me. Looking forward to a nice evening!                  Wish you well,      Jack
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:05:20 PM by Jack Crisham »

Jud_T

Re: Chicago GCA Dinner: A Saturday Evening in February?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:43:04 PM »
Jack-
Good idea. Count me in. I'm willing to help organize things in whatever way I can
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

SL_Solow

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
We have done this before and I would be interested.  However Saturday night is about the worst for anyone with a family.  A weeknight downtown is usually best.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 01:50:48 PM »
Count me in Jack...sounds like a blast. Let me know if you need any help setting something up.

I should be around most of February, weekends or weekdays.

Here's a vote for something downtown.
H.P.S.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »
You can count me in, I would much prefer something in the burbs, but can try to flex my schedule accordingly.

Chris

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
Count me in, downtown or suburbs, but I agree with Mr. Solow, that a weeknight is preferable.  A restaurant with a round table would be terrific too - i know that sounds silly, but I think it would do wonders for those of us who don't yet know everyone well.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 03:52:45 PM »
Jack,

A great idea. I also think a weeknight would be better. I might be able to bring along our superintendent, Bob Lively, from Flossmoor. He has just been involved in a 3 1/2 renovation at our club. I might note that the Golf Industry show is in San Diego on Feb. 10-11 and some of the supers may be there during that time frame.

Let me know if you'd like to try to find a specific date that might work.

Best,

Greg

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
i'm interested too Jack..pls let me know if i can help
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »
Jack,

If we pick a place that allows for wine corkage,
I might be willing to part with a few bottles from the cellar for those who care to partake....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:05:03 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 07:17:05 PM »
Jack,

Great idea; I would love to join!  Let me know if I can be of any help in planning, etc.

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23:12 PM »
Jud,

This event keeps getting better!! I would be happy to contribute to the libations as well.

Greg

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
We have done this before and I would be interested.  However Saturday night is about the worst for anyone with a family.  A weeknight downtown is usually best.
Jack,

A great idea. I also think a weeknight would be better. I might be able to bring along our superintendent, Bob Lively, from Flossmoor. He has just been involved in a 3 1/2 renovation at our club. I might note that the Golf Industry show is in San Diego on Feb. 10-11 and some of the supers may be there during that time frame.

Let me know if you'd like to try to find a specific date that might work.

Best,

Greg
Shelly and Greg,    I am open to whatever the group decides. My only thought suggesting a Sat evening in Feb is that my family calender is generally pretty quiet that time of year and getting downtown for those of us that are out in the burbs is that it would be an easier commute. As I recall the last dinner we had 2 yrs ago was organized by our friend Terry Lavin at Kiefers. My memory was that we had a side room that seated about 20 guys. Is this where you want to have it? It cost roughly $100 for dinner/drinks that evening.I just want to be as inclusive as possible in the current economy. Any suggestions for dinner is welcomed. Also is a weds evening doable?
       Let me know, Jack

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »
Jack,

I'll throw out Wed. Feb 17th as a suggestion. Maybe I can get Clint Squier to help with a location. His brother-in-law works for Lettuce Entertain You and could maybe set us up with a room for a group. If that works for you, let me know.

Greg

J_ Crisham

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »
Jack,

I'll throw out Wed. Feb 17th as a suggestion. Maybe I can get Clint Squier to help with a location. His brother-in-law works for Lettuce Entertain You and could maybe set us up with a room for a group. If that works for you, let me know.

Greg
Greg,  That sounds great! Hope you are swinging the sticks,  Wish you well,  Jack

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 09:05:04 PM »
Jack,

I'll talk to Clint tomorrow and see if that day or one a day on either side works. Will post back information tomorrow.

And, no, I haven't swung a club in over a month. Probably should get working on that, huh?!?!

Greg

Bill Wernecke Jr

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 10:29:53 PM »
I'm in if it is a Mon, Tues, or Wed evening.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 12:30:13 AM »

And, no, I haven't swung a club in over a month. Probably should get working on that, huh?!?!

Greg

We'll have you swinging before too long.

I'd love to get together with the Chicago guys, but I think I'll probably wait until things green up a little bit before I head north again.

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »
Just to throw it out there in case anyone else would feel like something different than versus the usual steakhouse get-together, for a place would be the Hop Leaf in Andersonville. It is a Belgian-style gastro pub and it's website is http://www.hopleaf.com/

It's a little out of the way, but I've been there a good amount of times and it's really a blast. It is known as hands down the best place to drink beer in Chicago, and the food is fantastic and reasonably priced (Muscles, Duck Reuben’s, Burgers, Steak, etc...) They have an upstairs area that I'm sure we could ask to have reserved if we know ~20 people are coming.

Something like this could be alot of fun and a little more low-key.

Just a thought.

Looking forward to it!
H.P.S.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »
Kyle,

Would it be innaprpriate to already be looking for more strokes?!?!

Greg

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 10:42:59 AM »
Pat, two minor problems.  Unibroue in bottle only and Dos Equis just got aquired by Heineken!  :-\  Seriously, I'm pretty flexible....

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 10:54:41 AM »
Pat, two minor problems.  Unibroue in bottle only and Dos Equis just got aquired by Heineken!  :-\  Seriously, I'm pretty flexible....

Jud-

Don de Due is truely a "gift from God" poured either from a bottle or tap! But you have to admit that beer selection is pretty fantastic...

I'm of course flexible as well, and if on a weeknight I'll be coming from Rosemont, which gives me easy access to either Oak Brook, North Shore, or City. Thought I would throw out a place like the Hop Leaf as a sub for the typical steakhouse menu...which for work has allowed me to see most of the City's steak offerings...so it's always nice to try someplace new.

Anyone else care to suggest any cool, under the radar, places that could accomidate 20+ people?
H.P.S.

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »
Jack,

I would be happy to join the group and am flexible about date and location. If we find a spot with corkage, I would be happy to donate to the cause.

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 11:18:53 AM »
Jack,

I would be happy to join the group and am flexible about date and location. If we find a spot with corkage, I would be happy to donate to the cause.

As would I if that's the case.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »
Pat,

I was looking on Zagat for places with private rooms, and I'd say unless we want to do more of a foodie thing or head to the burbs, that Hopleaf is actually a pretty good option...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:36:23 AM by Jud Tigerman »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 06:30:44 PM »
Jack,

Jack,

As would I if that's the case.
Kevin,Pat , Jud, etal, Whichever venue you chose is fine with me.Lets wait to see if Clint Squires is able to come up with a place. Plenty of time-how does Weds the 17th of Feb sound? I would also ask you to feel free to contact fellow GCA folks who are less frequent contributors and invite them as well.   Thanks ,  Jack

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back