News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Tobacco Road - An alternate view
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2010, 05:48:14 AM »
Well thought, well written and presented.  There is more depth to your commentary and as a result, more stability.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

George Pazin

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2010, 10:50:42 AM »
10 and 12 are like two and five, except a bit longer.  Again, keep your head on ten by staying left and you'll have a shot at the green.  On twelve, get it out into the bowl and the same holds true.  Two more terrific green surrounds.

This is a pretty interesting comment. I didn't see the similarity between 10 & 12 (or 5, 10 & 12, for that matter). I suppose they are similar in their curved fairways. The green sites are so radically different from each other that I think it fairly mitigates the similar shapes of the holes.

I don't know that I'd call any particular par type the strength of the course, it strikes me as fairly well balanced throughout.

I agree with your love for #11; for my money, it's the best hole on the course.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:52:22 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sean_A

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2010, 11:38:16 AM »
10 and 12 are like two and five, except a bit longer.  Again, keep your head on ten by staying left and you'll have a shot at the green.  On twelve, get it out into the bowl and the same holds true.  Two more terrific green surrounds.

This is a pretty interesting comment. I didn't see the similarity between 10 & 12 (or 5, 10 & 12, for that matter). I suppose they are similar in their curved fairways. The green sites are so radically different from each other that I think it fairly mitigates the similar shapes of the holes.

I don't know that I'd call any particular par type the strength of the course, it strikes me as fairly well balanced throughout.

I agree with your love for #11; for my money, it's the best hole on the course.

I didn't quite get this observation either.  #2 is a forced carry while #5 is an optional go for it par 4.  There are two totally different concepts here - one being heroic the other being penal.  I can see some similarity in the greens being raised though.

#s 10 and 12 are quite different as well because 12 requires a lay-up or shape it round the bend/drive it long over the left sand - another heroic tee shot.  #10 is a straight forward drive.  Even if it is best to stay near the waste area right the land pushes drives back to the middle of the fairway.  This is a no-nonsense keep it left drive.  Of course, the greens are ever so different as well. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2010, 02:19:30 PM »
Newbie here - apologize in advance if I commit some DB rookie mistakes.  But Ron introduced me, in a way, since I'm the "Scrambler" he referred to earlier.

I’ll apologize in advance for the length of my initial offering – I came late to the discussion and am “catching up.”
Sean - not so sure I would call #2 "penal." if you can't make the carry of 175-210 yards (depending on your tee selection), you still have the ability to hit an iron right and leave yourself 150-160, which isn't an unreasonable trade-off compared to the short iron rewarded to someone who takes the challenge.  I think what's unusual about #2 is that the bigger landing area is provided to someone taking the heroic route, and a smaller area for the player hitting iron (the opposite of #5).  But I don't think that necessarily makes it "penal" (besides, I wouldn’t consider any of these “optional” carries to be onerous if you’re playing the appropriate tees).

Ultimately, I really don't understand much of the criticisms here about "forced carries", especially off the tee.  The carry on 18 is 195 from the Tips.  If you're worried about a 195 yard carry with your Driver and you're playing the Tips, I think we know what the real problem is (hint: it's not the design of the hole).

Ron was right in that the whole thing is visual intimidation, and was very much intended by Strantz.  He was greatly influenced by MacKenzie, especially the "look hard, play easy" tenet.  The one thing I think may be overrated about this course is its difficulty, and I suspect the Course Rater was overly influenced by the visual factor (Strantz / MacKenzie would be proud).  The fairways are pretty generous, the waste areas are somewhat playable, and you generally won't lose too many balls unless you're really off-target (which could be said of any course).

Someone earlier commented that he thought there was a distorted relationship between the slope rating of 141 for a set of tees only 6,300 yards.  But that yardage is a bit misleading.  There are five par 3s (all short-to-medium), with only four Par 5s, so the overall yardage of the course is going to be deceivingly low.  I don’t think the relationship is influenced by ridiculously difficult conditions.

As for some of the comments about the overly wide greens, I actually think that’s one of the better attributes.  Yes, 17 is very shallow, but this hole tops out at 142 yards (downhill).  Given the shortness of the hole, I think it’s a fair trade-off to expect someone to be precise on controlling their distances to be rewarded.

No. 17 also demonstrates another great feature of the course, in that holes can play so many ways.  Think of all the hole / tee combinations on 17, and it will never be as simple as looking at the scorecard and saying “give me my 134 club.”

The same can be said for so many of the approaches at The Road.  One of my favorite parts of the day at TR was the mental game of having to adjust yardages and visualize the right shot for each situation (and maintain that visual when the target was obscured).

Which leads to the criticism by some of the blind shots.  However, I think that was answered by the Treatise on Blind Shots that was posted in the Clubhouse, and lifted directly from the Old Course’s yardage guide.  In short, the Old Course guide concluded that early players consciously chose the “thrill” of blind shots and embraced the endless  challenges for those who may play the course hundreds of times. 

Obviously, I’m a huge fan of the course, but appreciate some of the criticisms discussed here.  I look forward to going back and challenging my initial impressions.

George Pazin

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »
Ron was right in that the whole thing is visual intimidation, and was very much intended by Strantz.  He was greatly influenced by MacKenzie, especially the "look hard, play easy" tenet.  The one thing I think may be overrated about this course is its difficulty, and I suspect the Course Rater was overly influenced by the visual factor (Strantz / MacKenzie would be proud).  The fairways are pretty generous, the waste areas are somewhat playable, and you generally won't lose too many balls unless you're really off-target (which could be said of any course).

As for some of the comments about the overly wide greens, I actually think that’s one of the better attributes.  Yes, 17 is very shallow, but this hole tops out at 142 yards (downhill).  Given the shortness of the hole, I think it’s a fair trade-off to expect someone to be precise on controlling their distances to be rewarded.

Glad you reminded me of the Mackenzie quote - that's easily one of my least favorite theories in golf! :) I infinitely prefer "looks easy plays hard" or even "looks hard plays hard". "Looks hard plays easy" is not stimulating to me at all; if anything, it is condescending to the golfer, imho. "Looks easy plays hard", on the other hard, is to me the ultimate in sophistication and requires great thought from the golfer.

Also, regarding the distance control with wide greens, in the case of #17, that is fine if you play a lot of courses with monster drop shots. Ultimately, however, I believe it is an overrated skill, one that relies almost exclusively on experience rather than thought or imagination; and it is precisely the type of "what's my yardage?" type of thinking, it just requires the relatively simple adjustment of "what's my yardage from up here?".

But to each his own, thanks for your thoughts. Welcome to the site, your opening post is very encouraging and well thought-out.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »

Glad you reminded me of the Mackenzie quote - that's easily one of my least favorite theories in golf! :) I infinitely prefer "looks easy plays hard" or even "looks hard plays hard". "Looks hard plays easy" is not stimulating to me at all; if anything, it is condescending to the golfer, imho. "Looks easy plays hard", on the other hard, is to me the ultimate in sophistication and requires great thought from the golfer.

Also, regarding the distance control with wide greens, in the case of #17, that is fine if you play a lot of courses with monster drop shots. Ultimately, however, I believe it is an overrated skill, one that relies almost exclusively on experience rather than thought or imagination; and it is precisely the type of "what's my yardage?" type of thinking, it just requires the relatively simple adjustment of "what's my yardage from up here?".

But to each his own, thanks for your thoughts. Welcome to the site, your opening post is very encouraging and well thought-out.

I’m all for subtlety in design that would fit your “look easy, play hard” theory.  It’s a great thrill to discover some strategy or design element of a hole that you missed initially.

I never looked at the MacKenzie quote as a condescending thing.  I look at it more about embracing the powerful role the mind plays in this physical activity.  I love the use of “psychic” hazards in design.  Hiding a pin in an elevated dell (like #13) adds so many layers of stimulation to what should be a routine 3rd shot.  The shot required is no different than if you could see the entire putting surface, but taking away the visual reassurance tests your mind.  If the first 180 yards of #18 simply consisted of rough, you wouldn’t have people here complaining about the tee shot at 18.  It simply shouldn’t come into play.  But since it’s an intimidating view and you don’t have the visual safety net of seeing your landing area, it becomes a stimulating topic for discussion.

In different ways, “look easy, play hard” or “look hard, play easy” are both aimed at getting the mind involved.   You probably want a balance of both theories in a good course, so I’m not saying either is right or wrong.  But since I am biased towards the “feel” and aesthetics of Golf, Tobacco Road was right up my alley (but I can also appreciate the subtleties of less visually-stunning courses).

As for #17, I can see your point about distance control being overrated, but I don’t think it necessarily boils the shot down to a mechanical “what’s my yardage” exercise (ala Golf Video Games).  You’re often still guessing on the distance with the crazy shape of the green and elevation change, and it ultimately requires some delicacy & feel to pull it off.  Since you can’t use ground game options on that hole, it is almost a “forced” shot to pull off (who would have thought – a “penal” designed flip shot).  Normally, I don’t like “penal” holes and prefer that options be given.  But given the minimal distance of the hole, I didn’t mind the additional challenge presented by the shallow green.  Ironically, it seems to be the “look easy, play harder” type of hole I would think you’d like. :)

Glad to be aboard and looking forward to many thoughtful discussions about this great game.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »
Mike,

I'm wondering under what basis can you make the claim that any sort of maintenance issue at Tobacco Road is "permanent" as you did with regard to the rivulets of water through the bunker steepness. Haven't you played it like, twice? Maybe thrice?

In other words - how much of your criticism is based on your 4-5 hour view of the golf course on that particular day and how much is based on hard architecture?

P.S. Would the bunker criticism carry over to Huntingdon Valley?

Mike Cirba

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2010, 04:37:10 PM »
Mike,

I'm wondering under what basis can you make the claim that any sort of maintenance issue at Tobacco Road is "permanent" as you did with regard to the rivulets of water through the bunker steepness. Haven't you played it like, twice? Maybe thrice?

In other words - how much of your criticism is based on your 4-5 hour view of the golf course on that particular day and how much is based on hard architecture?

Kyle,

I made the statement based on my observation of 1) The total volume of steep faces showing erosion throughout the course in the ubiquitous sandy areas and bunkers, and my opinion that 2) Unless they had a permanent maintenance staff of Augustan proportions they would never be able to keep up with said volume of rivulet work every time they had a heavy rain.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:39:26 PM by Mike Cirba »

George Pazin

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2010, 04:40:53 PM »
I never looked at the MacKenzie quote as a condescending thing.  I look at it more about embracing the powerful role the mind plays in this physical activity.

I'm sure you are correct about Mackenzie's intent, and given the tremendous results of his design efforts, I doubt my characterization applies to his work.

What I mean is that if something plays easy, then ultimately I believe the decisions are fairly easy as well. To me, this is not something I would look for on a repeat basis. Once in a while, maybe, but not as a theme or philosophy underpinning a course (which is not to say that I think it applies to TR).

Re: 17, certainly the additional elevation would require more calculations, especially in the wind, I just don't particularly care for drop shot par 3s, I think they are very overdone and rarely effective.

But hey, my experience at TR (3 shots over the green, two with a wedge, one with a sand wedge) certainly would leave one to conclude my play overly influenced my feelings. :)

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2010, 05:22:22 PM »
What I mean is that if something plays easy, then ultimately I believe the decisions are fairly easy as well. To me, this is not something I would look for on a repeat basis.

But hey, my experience at TR (3 shots over the green, two with a wedge, one with a sand wedge) certainly would leave one to conclude my play overly influenced my feelings. :)

Thanks for the feedback - you’ve made me clarify in my mind what I like.  I guess what I enjoy about The Road isn’t so much that it "looks hard, plays easy", but rather that “the look makes it more challenging."  You're right, if a hole truly plays "easy”, the challenge is gone.  I suppose my point was that the course is not as impossible as some people think, and I think those people were successfully challenged by the “psychic hazards.”

I don’t think 18 is a “one-trick pony” in that the quarry is the only thing making the hole interesting.  Obviously, once you overcome the visual uncertainty, there’s still the need to pick the optimal placement to overcome / minimize the effect of the obscured approach and reduce the risk of the large swales short left.

As for letting your play negatively impact your perception, I’ve been guilty of that.  When I played Blackwolf Run, I had a bad day and uttered things like “Pete Dye fell in love with the Cape Hole here – he really needs to mix it up a little.”  (An astute observation given my extensive years of architectural experience – I’m sure Pete will call for my input in the future).  Or even the blasphemous “I don’t see what’s so great about this course!”  Luckily, I was able to appreciate the course upon calmer reflection.

But I may be doing the opposite on TR's 17th - I hit a knockdown 9 iron through the rain to 2 feet!  :)

Sean_A

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »
Newbie here - apologize in advance if I commit some DB rookie mistakes.  But Ron introduced me, in a way, since I'm the "Scrambler" he referred to earlier.

I’ll apologize in advance for the length of my initial offering – I came late to the discussion and am “catching up.”
Sean - not so sure I would call #2 "penal." if you can't make the carry of 175-210 yards (depending on your tee selection), you still have the ability to hit an iron right and leave yourself 150-160, which isn't an unreasonable trade-off compared to the short iron rewarded to someone who takes the challenge.  I think what's unusual about #2 is that the bigger landing area is provided to someone taking the heroic route, and a smaller area for the player hitting iron (the opposite of #5).  But I don't think that necessarily makes it "penal" (besides, I wouldn’t consider any of these “optional” carries to be onerous if you’re playing the appropriate tees).

Ultimately, I really don't understand much of the criticisms here about "forced carries", especially off the tee.  The carry on 18 is 195 from the Tips.  If you're worried about a 195 yard carry with your Driver and you're playing the Tips, I think we know what the real problem is (hint: it's not the design of the hole).

Someone earlier commented that he thought there was a distorted relationship between the slope rating of 141 for a set of tees only 6,300 yards.  But that yardage is a bit misleading.  There are five par 3s (all short-to-medium), with only four Par 5s, so the overall yardage of the course is going to be deceivingly low.  I don’t think the relationship is influenced by ridiculously difficult conditions.

No. 17 also demonstrates another great feature of the course, in that holes can play so many ways.  Think of all the hole / tee combinations on 17, and it will never be as simple as looking at the scorecard and saying “give me my 134 club.”

The same can be said for so many of the approaches at The Road.  One of my favorite parts of the day at TR was the mental game of having to adjust yardages and visualize the right shot for each situation (and maintain that visual when the target was obscured).

Which leads to the criticism by some of the blind shots.  However, I think that was answered by the Treatise on Blind Shots that was posted in the Clubhouse, and lifted directly from the Old Course’s yardage guide.  In short, the Old Course guide concluded that early players consciously chose the “thrill” of blind shots and embraced the endless  challenges for those who may play the course hundreds of times. 

Obviously, I’m a huge fan of the course, but appreciate some of the criticisms discussed here.  I look forward to going back and challenging my initial impressions.

Kevin

A forced carry is penal, but let me get one thing straight.  Around here many view penal as bad.  I don't.  Penal architecture is just a type of architecture which leaves no or a very limited choice of shot selection.  Having a forced carry is a shot with no choice - that is what the drive for #2 presents if one plays the back few tees.  I have no problem with this so long as it isn't over-done. 

Ciao

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
Kevin

A forced carry is penal, but let me get one thing straight.  Around here many view penal as bad.  I don't.  Penal architecture is just a type of architecture which leaves no or a very limited choice of shot selection.  Having a forced carry is a shot with no choice - that is what the drive for #2 presents if one plays the back few tees.  I have no problem with this so long as it isn't over-done. 

Ciao

Like you, I don't have a problem with Penal architecture if done in moderation.  I guess I don't see #2 as "penal" because I don't view it as a "forced" carry.  Rather, it's a "voluntary" carry in lieu of the lay-up option to the right (which still gives you the chance to have a mid-iron into the green).  Now if the only lay-up option to the right would leave 200+ to the green, then the hole would be more penal.

Now, #18 may be deemed “penal” because the only option is to carry the quarry.  Determining how “penal” a hole is would be a continuum, based on the difficulty of the forced option.  But given the width of the fairway and relative shortness of the carry (if playing appropriate tees), the 18th doesn’t strike me as being a very penal hole (call it Penal in the 6th degree as opposed to Penal 1st degree).  I think the emphasis on placing your tee shot on the proper side of the very-wide-fairway (to minimize the blind approach / impact of swales front left) makes it more of a strategic hole (even though there’s a lower-intensity penal element).

Regarding the debate of penal being “good or bad,” my thoughts are that it depends on the nature of the penalty.  I’m new here, so I’m not as familiar with the debates on this topic.  But to me, the pejorative version of penal relates to water and lost ball types of courses (not a big fan).  The penal designs I prefer are the ones that wear away at you ½ stroke at a time (like Oakmont).  But that’s a discussion for a different thread.

Take care.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
The one aspect of the tee ball on 18 that few have mentioned is height.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the tips are the highest of the tees on that hole.  The farther forward you move, the lower the decks get.  Therefore, the weaker the golfer, the more elevated the carry requirement.  Most hacks can pop the ball up, but to do it on command...that's a course of a different color (play on words.)

Regarding the carry on #2, in our group was quite possibly the most manic-depressive golfer of all time, the Traveling Duff.  When the Duff is on (and confident), no carry is unmanageable.  When he is sad, lonely, all Hee-Haw, a one-yard carry is a toss-up.  The Duff was already depressed by hole #2 (a great sign for Kevin and Me) so we aimed him to the right and he did just fine, making 6 on the hole.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
How many long iron approach shots are there at Tobacco Road?  I don't count many (zero on the day I played...I realized tee/hole location have some effect on this question).  I think this is another weakness of the course.

Bart

Kyle Harris

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »
Mike,

Kyle,

I made the statement based on my observation of 1) The total volume of steep faces showing erosion throughout the course in the ubiquitous sandy areas and bunkers, and my opinion that 2) Unless they had a permanent maintenance staff of Augustan proportions they would never be able to keep up with said volume of rivulet work every time they had a heavy rain.

Mike:

With all respect, I do not believe you are qualified to take your criticisms that far.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2010, 09:06:54 PM »
A couple of thoughts on recent posts:

"Looks hard, plays easy."  IMO there are two distinct versions of this.  One is the Fazio version, with huge bunkers that aren't really in play, huge greens w/o much character, and the like.  This in no way describes Tobacco Road and the Strantz approach to "looks hard, plays easy."  Strantz provided three things on shots like the second shot on #1; visual intimidation, an ideal shot to play, and a generally large landing area for that ideal shot.  This, to me, was Mike's most outstanding trait as a GCA; he repeatedly offered the chance for heroic shots, and rewarded you for executing that shot.  Additionally, the shot is usually not that difficult, even for the higher handicap player.  In that respect, TR isn't really penal GCA in the truest sense of that term; there ARE options, so I would characterize the Road more as heroic design. 

The yardage and slope.  At 6300 yds., TR has a course rating of 70.8 and a slope of 142, I believe.  These are, by ANY measure, a pretty unusual set of numbers.  One would expect to see 142 attached to an above par course rating and a much higher yardage number; this is a problem for TR in the evaluation of the course, and those of us that love the course (and I emphatically DO!) really can't get away from that.  Anecdotes here from higher handicappers that have played TR well don't change the fact that it can be an extremely difficult and sometime unenjoyable test for lesser golfer at ANY yardage.  That has and will continue to be a problem for TR in the various course rankings.

The course conditions.  I keep saying this, BUT I cannot stress enough the unusual conditions that Mike Cirba encountered in Piedmont NC in Dec.  I played two golf courses in Durham that I have played for decades, and I have never seen them so wet.  It was really quite remarkable, and it was almost impossible for supers to get workers and equipment out on the courses to fix bunkers, etc.  I have never seen TR with any sort of drainage problems, but I don't doubt that they had them in Dec.  Everything in central NC did, maybe everything in the southeastern US.

Take the Road for what it is.  It is a wonderful golf course; magnificent art, visionary design, and great fun.  If you compare it to anything else (except other courses Mike Strantz built :)), the comparison will be inadequate.  When you go there, enjoy what you are seeing, because you won't see much else like it anywhere.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »
"This, to me, was Mike's most outstanding trait as a GCA; he repeatedly offered the chance for heroic shots, and rewarded you for executing that shot."

And, yet, still gave you leeway if you didn't quite pull it off, right?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brian Freeman

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2010, 11:33:12 PM »
I live in the Raleigh area so I've had the chance to play this course several times, with really mixed emotions, good and bad.

I believe I read somewhere once that the nines were originally reversed - not certain if that's true or not, though, although that might help explain the unusual start on the drive on #1.

For starters, it's definitely a refreshing change from the typical muni or country club.  I received some great advice before the first time I played there - just take each hole as its own unique challenge and don't even think about your overall score.  That's the philosophy you have to take with this course.  That said, every time I play there (my HCP typically averages around 4-6), I usually seem to play 14-15 holes pretty close to even par with more pars than usual, with 2-4 doubles or higher thrown on top to bring me back to earth.... but I always seem to come in around 80 or better.  I agree with the assessment of a "match play" course for that reason.  If you're trying to fire at pins and pull off exciting shots, it's a pretty exciting course to play, as is Tot Hill in Asheboro.  #10 & #11 are my favorite holes, a 12 handicap buddy of mine made his first eagle ever on #11, and another friend made his first ace on #3.  It's that kind of course where unusual things happen.

Dislikes - I will not play the course again if there's been recent heavy rains, I've noticed the same draining issues as others.  All the collection areas tend to always make your ball want to stop in the same place water does versus a course with broader slopes.  Additionally, the "bunkers" in a lot of places tend to be washed out and more like hardpan.  While keeping traps like PGA Tour bunkers would also be a sin on this course, I've seen it to an extreme where there were no real recovery shots that could be played.... not sure if that's just a maintenance issue or an unfortunate consequence of the design itself.

#9 might be my most hated hole - long iron 2nd shot (about the only one out there) way uphill with no bailout and a huge bunker on the right that always seems to be washed out so the ball rolls 10+ yds down the hill into the cart park area.  Not a fan of #16 either, very out of character with the rest of the course as both shots are pure target golf, no strategy and a miss on either is likely a sure double or worse.

The biggest observation I've made and one thing I really dislike about the course that I haven't seen discussed is that they only rotate among a series of 3 pin zones on their pin sheet.  I've observed that this creates several problems: 1) maintenance as those areas seem to get highly worn as it is a high traffic course, 2) it minimizes the brilliance of Stranz's work as some areas that look like they would make for great, unusual playing options never appear to get used, 3) even though I've only played the course a few times, I know exactly what club to hit on a lot of the holes, like I was a member there.

In my opinion, increasing the pin sheet to a rotation of 5-7 pins would be the single best improvement the staff could do there, of course on a couple of the more extreme greens they might have to be close to each other, but between the collection areas and limited pins on the pin sheet, it feels to me like a great waste of a unique property as I always seem to be playing the same shots into holes, which is very counter to what you would initially think from such a unique course.  It's amazing what Stranz did with the property though - there's really only room for 14 or 15 holes there, yet he somehow got in 18 and there are only a couple of significant issues with cramped routing (tees on #3 & #17 immediately come to mind). 

Definitely a course any design enthusiast should play at least once, though - everyone has opinions on this place after the round.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »
Brian Freeman,

I think your post is an exceptionally honest and balanced course analysis.

Please add considerably to your total number of posts on this Discussion Group in the future.   

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »
Brian and Mike, et al...
I agree with Mike...add to your posts...this one was inspiring.  However...

"#9 might be my most hated hole - long iron 2nd shot (about the only one out there) way uphill with no bailout and a huge bunker on the right that always seems to be washed out so the ball rolls 10+ yds down the hill into the cart park area.  Not a fan of #16 either, very out of character with the rest of the course as both shots are pure target golf, no strategy and a miss on either is likely a sure double or worse."

No one is forcing you to make the entire carry.  As Strantz does, he allows you to hit 7, 8 or 9 iron up the neck of the fairway, then offers a pitch to a long green that slopes inward to center from both sides.  If a golfer can't make the long iron carry, she/he had better become adept at the lay-up/pitch sequence.  It is a tenet I use for my two high school varsity teams, especially with the freshmen:  get good at these pitch shots and you'll drive the long hitters nuts!!!

I personally banged a 5-iron up onto the green, loving every minute of it, and two-whacked from 40 feet for a memorable par (up there with a par on the 17th at The old course.)  Pretty sure it makes me biased.

I do agree, though, that you should avoid the Greg Norman/Scott Norwood miss (wide right) by all means.  You the golfer are solely responsible for that protection.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2010, 04:09:15 AM »
Kevin

Ciao

Like you, I don't have a problem with Penal architecture if done in moderation.  I guess I don't see #2 as "penal" because I don't view it as a "forced" carry.  Rather, it's a "voluntary" carry in lieu of the lay-up option to the right (which still gives you the chance to have a mid-iron into the green).  Now if the only lay-up option to the right would leave 200+ to the green, then the hole would be more penal.

Now, #18 may be deemed “penal” because the only option is to carry the quarry.  Determining how “penal” a hole is would be a continuum, based on the difficulty of the forced option.  But given the width of the fairway and relative shortness of the carry (if playing appropriate tees), the 18th doesn’t strike me as being a very penal hole (call it Penal in the 6th degree as opposed to Penal 1st degree).  I think the emphasis on placing your tee shot on the proper side of the very-wide-fairway (to minimize the blind approach / impact of swales front left) makes it more of a strategic hole (even though there’s a lower-intensity penal element).

Regarding the debate of penal being “good or bad,” my thoughts are that it depends on the nature of the penalty.  I’m new here, so I’m not as familiar with the debates on this topic.  But to me, the pejorative version of penal relates to water and lost ball types of courses (not a big fan).  The penal designs I prefer are the ones that wear away at you ½ stroke at a time (like Oakmont).  But that’s a discussion for a different thread.

Take care.

Kevin

Unless I am missing something, the area to the right, right of the hill still requires a carry and to a blind landing zone which I am not sure is all fairway.  That said, I do like the idea of the second being blind from the right for the guys playing the back tees.  Personally, I think there should be a tee on the left edge of the waste area, probably something like the distance of the forward tee which is around a 300 yard hole.  The problem with the right forward tee is many folks who play it will not be able to carry the hill and the bunker the other side.  This means they hit a putzy shot then try to make the carry in two.  Additionally, they likely can't carry to the fat part of the fairway.  The hole is too limiting for my grandma and on a public course she always has to have some consideration.  Its issues like this which really contribute to making play very slow at The Road. 

Ciao

Brian Freeman

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2010, 11:00:25 PM »
Mike & Ronald: Thanks for the kind words... nice to get a little ego boost as a rookie on here.  Unfortunately I don't have quite the library of courses some folks have on here (as I grew up a muni golfer) but have been playing serious catch-up the last few years now that career and finances better allows for it... Hoping to expand on that considerably in the near future (as 9 days in Scotland this June will help).

Believe it or not, after yet another a pushed drive into the right rough last time I played there (back in the summer), I actually attempted the lay-up you described... and then proceeded to hit my worst shot of the day, a big pull into a well placed trap about 80 yds out.  So even a good strategy can always be foiled by poor execution!  So I probably have bias as well, just the opposite one.  Strantz is officially in my head on this hole.  I've always felt that there was a better greensite somewhere else on that hillside, though.

Maybe next time I'll actually hit the fairway and that would certainly make a difference.  That hole just seems to get me every time and definitely one pays a huge price for any mistakes made there.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2010, 01:03:35 PM »
Kevin

Unless I am missing something, the area to the right, right of the hill still requires a carry and to a blind landing zone which I am not sure is all fairway.  That said, I do like the idea of the second being blind from the right for the guys playing the back tees.  Personally, I think there should be a tee on the left edge of the waste area, probably something like the distance of the forward tee which is around a 300 yard hole.  The problem with the right forward tee is many folks who play it will not be able to carry the hill and the bunker the other side.  This means they hit a putzy shot then try to make the carry in two.  Additionally, they likely can't carry to the fat part of the fairway.  The hole is too limiting for my grandma and on a public course she always has to have some consideration.  Its issues like this which really contribute to making play very slow at The Road. 

Ciao

I had to go back and look at the photos on #2 to refresh my memory, since I never even considered anything but going over the pit.  To lay-up right (from one of the back tees) is a blind shot and it would be hard to visualize the shot, but the landing area is fairly wide (which you can clearly see when you hit from one of the forward tees).  There isn’t really all that much of a carry to do it (maybe 100 yards to reach the right fairway if you’re playing from the tips).  In my opinion, it’s a viable option if you don’t want to try & carry the pit.  Again, from the Tips, this hole maxes out at 377 yards, so if someone doesn’t want to take on the challenge, the lay-up right in exchange for a longer approach is fair.

As for your suggestion about having a short tee on the left side of the waste area (in the 300 yard range), that would be fine, but this person may still have to carry the ball 140 yards or so, which is about the same distance as the front tee shot on 18 that many people complain about. 

The front right tee actually requires no carry or even a lay-up.  It’s actually a straight shot if they want to get to the fat part of the fairway (looking at the photo snapped from the 300 yard tees).  Now, if they pull or push that attempt, they’ll end up in sand, but I don’t think there’s a need to hit a “putzy” shot first.    If anything, the right front tees are built for Grandma, as opposed to a tee of the front left, which would require some type of carry.

However, if the criteria used to judge the course is whether Grandma can play it, then I would have to say she wouldn’t enjoy Tobacco Road, as well as a multitude of other courses.  But you can’t say Strantz didn’t try.  I just reviewed the entire course from the “Grandma” tees, and there are numerous “outs” given that I never even looked at while I was playing.  The number of shots that would require 100+ yards of carry are very limited (a few on par threes), with the only real tough one being 18 (110 yards uphill).  However, at what point do you draw the line for “playability?”  My mother-in-law loves to play, but can’t carry the ball 100 yards.  I can’t expect an architect to build a “no carry” course that would work for her, and still challenge me.   I suspect the interminably slow play is caused by people who are trying to bite off more than their games can chew.

But, discussions like this are the reason we have discussions on GCA.  It just gives me different perspectives to ponder, which can only help us all expand our appreciation of the Game. 

My overall impression of Tobacco Road was that its reputation of being one of the Top 10 Toughest Golf Courses in the U.S. was based largely on visual intimidation and reputation, rather than the actual difficulty of the course (as was Tot Hill Farms), as I felt many of the “forced” options weren’t all that onerous.  Also, since I don’t view having to hit from sand as a horrific penalty and I like getting creative with recoveries, the course wasn’t all that intimidating to me.  Now, if you replaced 30% of the sand here with water, I’d probably flat out hate the course.  :D

(BTW – Congrats on the Renaissance Cup Invite!  Hope you can make the trip!)

Sean_A

« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »
Kevin

Ciao

I had to go back and look at the photos on #2 to refresh my memory, since I never even considered anything but going over the pit.  To lay-up right (from one of the back tees) is a blind shot and it would be hard to visualize the shot, but the landing area is fairly wide (which you can clearly see when you hit from one of the forward tees).  There isn’t really all that much of a carry to do it (maybe 100 yards to reach the right fairway if you’re playing from the tips).  In my opinion, it’s a viable option if you don’t want to try & carry the pit.  Again, from the Tips, this hole maxes out at 377 yards, so if someone doesn’t want to take on the challenge, the lay-up right in exchange for a longer approach is fair.

As for your suggestion about having a short tee on the left side of the waste area (in the 300 yard range), that would be fine, but this person may still have to carry the ball 140 yards or so, which is about the same distance as the front tee shot on 18 that many people complain about. 

The front right tee actually requires no carry or even a lay-up.  It’s actually a straight shot if they want to get to the fat part of the fairway (looking at the photo snapped from the 300 yard tees).  Now, if they pull or push that attempt, they’ll end up in sand, but I don’t think there’s a need to hit a “putzy” shot first.    If anything, the right front tees are built for Grandma, as opposed to a tee of the front left, which would require some type of carry.

However, if the criteria used to judge the course is whether Grandma can play it, then I would have to say she wouldn’t enjoy Tobacco Road, as well as a multitude of other courses.  But you can’t say Strantz didn’t try.  I just reviewed the entire course from the “Grandma” tees, and there are numerous “outs” given that I never even looked at while I was playing.  The number of shots that would require 100+ yards of carry are very limited (a few on par threes), with the only real tough one being 18 (110 yards uphill).  However, at what point do you draw the line for “playability?”  My mother-in-law loves to play, but can’t carry the ball 100 yards.  I can’t expect an architect to build a “no carry” course that would work for her, and still challenge me.   I suspect the interminably slow play is caused by people who are trying to bite off more than their games can chew.

But, discussions like this are the reason we have discussions on GCA.  It just gives me different perspectives to ponder, which can only help us all expand our appreciation of the Game. 

My overall impression of Tobacco Road was that its reputation of being one of the Top 10 Toughest Golf Courses in the U.S. was based largely on visual intimidation and reputation, rather than the actual difficulty of the course (as was Tot Hill Farms), as I felt many of the “forced” options weren’t all that onerous.  Also, since I don’t view having to hit from sand as a horrific penalty and I like getting creative with recoveries, the course wasn’t all that intimidating to me.  Now, if you replaced 30% of the sand here with water, I’d probably flat out hate the course.  :D

(BTW – Congrats on the Renaissance Cup Invite!  Hope you can make the trip!)

Kevin

Thanks for the congrats. 

Check out this link.  From the forward tee it is a diagonal shot to the fat part of the fairway over the waste.  One can layup directly in front of the tee and short of the hill - sort of a putzy shot if you ask me - just kick it out there.  Or, one can drive blindly over the hill and a bunker the other side - think Alps.  And as you say, its a straight shot up the gut between the hill and the waste, but this is quite narrow and imo just as penal as the other options all will eventually be.  My suggestion for a tee left still requires a carry, but nothing close to 100 yards.  It is still penal, but from that angle the green could well be in sight off the tee - which usually gives extra confidence to my "grandma".  Of course, there doesn't have to be an easy street for my grandma, but on a public course, it isn't a bad idea.  All in all, I am not overly keen on this drive because its nothing for the flat bellies to make the carry and it seems to hinder the short hitting player more even if playing from the forward tees.  In other words, there really isn't a safe route for a slash master to seek a reasonably easy 5/6.  I am not against this from a philosophical PoV, but if it were my course, I would be against it from a hitting my bottom line PoV.

http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/hole2.html

Ciao

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2010, 02:37:29 PM »
Putzy shot...that's the one!!!  Duff was having a rough day (read:  rough first hole) and we wanted him to have some success, so we said just kick it out there with a hybrid, which he did.  He is the guy who, if he can't see it, he can't envision it.  Kevin and I, on the other hand, will tee off over an I.M. Pei structure if you promise us fairway on the far side.  The other good thing about the putzy lay up is that it allows weak (usually a slicer) hitter to aim at the fairway and slice it around the himalayan mound on the right.  It's a win-win if you  have neither confidence nor game (lefties, sorry.)
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back