News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Rogers

o/t slightly ... New Equipment for 2010
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »
After reading the latest Golf Digest and Golf magazine issues, I have concluded the equipment technology burst has about run its course. 

If there is a 'technological stabilization', meaning that the 2010 drivers are not really any longer than drivers that are a couple of years old, then would the game be ready for a 'range' of golf ball types that make the older courses interesting tournament tests?

Would the next technological 'threat' be the golfer through golf specific performance enhancing drugs?

Jeff Zeagler

Re: o/t slightly ... New Equipment for 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:36:43 AM »
With golf clubs in general, I believe you will continue to see advancements in the technology used for custom fitting.  With wedges, it will be interesting to see what type of new face concepts pop-up.  I haven't played the new Cleveland wedge to know how their new groove technology is affected the box groove roll-back.  That said it is great to see Scratch golf wedge getting "Golf Star" recognition in the Golf Digest Equipment issue.   I'll have two in the bag this year!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 10:55:27 AM »
... the 2010 drivers are not really any longer than drivers that are a couple of years old...

But then the drivers of a couple of years ago were not really any longer than the drivers of a couple of years before that. etc.

The ball became significantly longer. The drivers did not. COR of drivers added at most 5 yards to the very best professionals. As far as I can think, that was the primary contribution of the drivers.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »
Not sure what kind of magic dust they sprinkled on it, but I added the TM R9 driver to my bag last year and it is significantly straighter than anything I've hit before. Might not be much longer than the Titleist I had previously, but it is almost impossible to hook or fade. Don't know if it is new technology or a little leprechaun siting inside the head doing his thing. Honestly, I don't really care. All I know is I can swing it with confidence.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:02:58 AM »
...All I know is I can swing it with confidence.

That's that little leprechaun. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jed Peters

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:44:10 PM »
Not sure what kind of magic dust they sprinkled on it, but I added the TM R9 driver to my bag last year and it is significantly straighter than anything I've hit before. Might not be much longer than the Titleist I had previously, but it is almost impossible to hook or fade. Don't know if it is new technology or a little leprechaun siting inside the head doing his thing. Honestly, I don't really care. All I know is I can swing it with confidence.

You need to play more.

Sooner or later it'll go sideways (literally and figuratively) on you.

JohnV

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »
... the 2010 drivers are not really any longer than drivers that are a couple of years old...

But then the drivers of a couple of years ago were not really any longer than the drivers of a couple of years before that. etc.

The ball became significantly longer. The drivers did not. COR of drivers added at most 5 yards to the very best professionals. As far as I can think, that was the primary contribution of the drivers.

You don't think the extra 1-2 inches of shaft length added more than that?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »

You don't think the extra 1-2 inches of shaft length added more than that?

I think the straighter ball allowed the extra shaft length to be put to good use. At age 21 & 22 I was hitting straight flying topflites prodigious lengths with short heavy steel shafts and wood heads. I was sunk with a spinning ball.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back