News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Starting Fri-Sat, 1/8-9 - Get To Know Tony Muldoon
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »
Tony:
Only one course for life, what do you pick, and why?  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:47:07 PM by Carl Nichols »

Dan Boerger

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »
Tony -

Your favorite 3 Heathland courses and why?

Best bar/pub to visit after playing any of the 3 mentioned above?

Stone Roses or Oasis?

"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
1.  How many rounds did you get on TOC last year?  Was it as good as you expected?
I was gobsmacked by the place in the predictable way so many are.
Arrived Sat quick look.
Sunday joined the guided tour.
Monday Played
Next Sunday walked the dog an just looked at it.
Thursday played in Wind a on few holes rain.

At first I Was underwhelmed and I still don't get 8, 9 and 10.   But 4 months on I'm going back this year!

It's depressing to realise I had such totally predictable reactions to the course. Still wanting to play it again to understand more has it's compensations. ;D

2.  Favourite hole/course you've played?

The more I see the more highly I think of Dornoch.  Can't recall any silly scores 9, 10's etc, but boy you earn your par's. HARD PAR, EASY DOUBLE BOGEY. Best balance between test and fun I seen.  Oh and the setting ain't half bad.

Stop me if you've heard this too many times before but did I ever mention that I have two GCA witnesses to attest to my starting my 3rd and, so far, final round 3, 3. Sadly not on the agenda for 2010.

3.  What course(s) are you most looking forward to playing in 2010?
Swinley as I've only been once before and the company will be excellent.
We are going to Ireland for a week in June.  It's a large party and they're still looking for a house but if I'm within 100 miles it has to be Ballybunion.
A pal is 50 this year and the two us are going to TOC. I've offerred to organise and on my map the three nearest courses are The Eden, Elie and Prestwick. ;)

4.  Guinness or Bitter?
Not alot of either really but if it's cold outside then a Guinness is a treat.

5.  Keith Wood or Brian Moore?
Are you trying to be funny? You've been watching too much of that 13 man game.

Cheers
[/quote]
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 06:06:52 PM »

1.  Have you played in the US? 
This is going to kill my cred on this site.
Twice soon after I started and both times budget was an issue.
I don't keep cards and memeory is shot but perhaps someone can help

Near Kissimie there's a Muni that's in the middle of nowhere (CIRCA 2001) AND (MELVYN PLEASE FORGIVE ME) you got a free cart! They told me it was unwalkable. CAn't remember the name or anything except the 9th played back to the clubhouse and featured water!

The other was better a year later and it wa mentioned on here about a year ago. There's two courses about an hour north of Fort Lauderdale (a really fun place) next to an airport/airbase.  Flat but with some very cool holes.

So I can't say much about the experience at all. Except the muni golfers seem familiar types of guys.

2.  If someone were visiting England from the US, what three courses would you say were must-sees?

There's some great links but its not unique to England. I haven't played Gleneagles so I'll plump for a heathland trio as being an English experience.

As an adopted Londoner it hurts to say it, but the best might be

Ganton/Alwoodley and then either Moortown or Lindrick or Notts (haven't seen the last two)

BUT why not come to one of the world's greatest cities and enjoy a little golf as well

A day at Sunningdale - play both.
See the Addington
and then it's hard to pick from Swinley/St Georges/the Berkshire/Woking/Pullborough/Walton Heath etc

3.  How did you respond to Scott's suggestion to just drive slowly?  

Hopefully with more tact than the following conversation that took place while driving between courses at this years Buda.

Mike "Tony how do you like the Prius?
Me    "It's a piece of total ++++, blah..., blah ....
Mike    "Tony...."
Tony    "...no puling power....blah blah.. tinny..blah noisy..
Milke    "TONY!....
Tony   "...except round town its less economical than an M1...blah...sham....
Mike    "TONY PLEASE! I was just trying to say, I've got one and I love it!"
Tony    (silence ::))

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 06:08:59 PM »

Tony:

I think I answered this to an earlier Q.  So far the one that keeps coming back to me is Dornoch.

(However it has to be said that's a hypothetical as I couldn't live up there!)

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »
1. How bad was your caddy at Royal County Down? ;D
2. What course's have you been exceded/fell short of your expectations?
3. Who do you surrport in the Rugby, Ireland or England?

P.s Rathmore are Mourne GC Wanna-be's  ;)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »

Tony:

I think I answered this to an earlier Q.  So far the one that keeps coming back to me is Dornoch.

(However it has to be said that's a hypothetical as I couldn't live up there!)

You did mention it was your favorite course, but for some that might not be the place you'd want as the only place you could play forever.....

Thx for all the responses.

Carl

Scott Warren

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 06:21:31 PM »

Hopefully with more tact than the following conversation that took place while driving between courses at this years Buda.

Mike "Tony how do you like the Prius?
Me    "It's a piece of total ++++, blah..., blah ....
Mike    "Tony...."
Tony    "...no puling power....blah blah.. tinny..blah noisy..
Milke    "TONY!....
Tony   "...except round town its less economical than an M1...blah...sham....
Mike    "TONY PLEASE! I was just trying to say, I've got one and I love it!"
Tony    (silence ::))

That was brilliant. I pissed myself listening to you dig that hole!

That was en route to The Addington just after the three of us worked out that while Mike and I had been standing on one side of East Croydon station for 15 minutes cursing you for being late because we'd almost certainly run out of light, you were in fact parked on the other side cursing us right back! ;D

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »

Tony,

Old or New.....How to you feel about Castle Stuart,Kingsbarns and The Castle Course?

I havn't palyed any of these yet.  I did visit Kingsbarns with the family and I was surprised we couldn't get a coffee.  Have to say I fallen for the GCA line and I want to play the first two but can't get excited about the third?

Who do you usually golf with?
The mistake I made was to join a Club with one other guy. It's hard to get to meet anyone else. I now have a competitons partner and then about 5 golfers I regularly hook up with.  I think it's the mark of a good club that you get play with a good selection of other members (GCA included here ;D)  I know others feel differently and so to each his own. Also my handicap only started to fal when I stopped playing with the same guy all the time.

Ever had a hole in one?
No and only one eagle - on a Par 4.  

Ever had gravy and biscuits with fried chicken livers?

No not yet.    (Anthony do people really eat Grits?)

What do you think about American Football?

Ever had a root canal?

No (this is reminding me of "Be a Dentist" from the Little Shop of Horrors!)

I have to tell you about the one time I had toothache so bad it was the worst pain I've ever known.  Someone suggested that the London Hospital had a walk in emergency treatment that afternoon. So my business partner drove me there an helped me through the doors.  I collapsed in a chair and eventually the Professor came to see me and after tests decided the tooth had to be pulled. As this was a teaching hospital one of the students was sent over to sort me out.  Well I'm pretty tall and this little Asian student came over and she was very small. They must have injected something pretty strong but the next 45 mins were surreal. At first she was just fiddling about in my mouth but then she was, very poitely, asking if she could push here...lean on this ....etc. I seem to recall she was kneeling on my chest and using a hammer and chisel - but as I say that maybe the drugs.  The professor kept comming back and she was more and more embarrased by the whole situation.  I thought she was going to cry with frustration and then he clmly said to her "If you cant pull teeth, you can't be a Dentist"  That did it and she finally tore the offening tooth free.   All next week it felt like I'd been kicked by the proverbial mule but it was a definate improvement.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »
Tony -

Your favorite 3 Heathland courses and why?

Ganton.   Well just play it.  I guess it's links with gorse and heather just more of those than the links course that have gorse and heather.  I'm still surprised how much I enjoyed it.

The Addington.  Just nothing like it.

Sunnigdale Old.  Only played it once but ...

I do find it hard to articulate why some course appeal so strongly, but all my favourite course have real sense of comfort with being themselves. They dont ostentaiously do things differently they just do them thier own way and they hang together as a complete round of golf.

Best bar/pub to visit after playing any of the 3 mentioned above?

Must try "Ganton Cake"   Seriously they serve this. 1" slab of fruitcake on top of 1" slab of Stilton. I don't particularly like either but together in the middle of 36 holes you've got something. Eat it and die happy.

Also Sunningdale do a great lunch.

Stone Roses or Oasis?

The Who? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbGLVvfB7Y
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:20:52 PM by Tony_Muldoon »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »

Has Van Morrison recorded anything worth listening to in the past 10-15 years?

Are you f@#%ng kidding me?  Has he recorded anything worth listening to since Them tore it up with "Gloria" when I was a college kid in 1964?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYXdQjNUPXQ

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end!

Tony, always a pleasure, looking forward to the next Buda.  That was a fun foursomes match at Deal - at least until the cross bunker at #17!  ;D

Great choice Bill.

I love foursomes but 3/8 difference is tough ieven if it's the traditonal way . At my other club it's 1/2.
I had played agianst Joe and his son in Foursomes the afternoon before and Richard Pennell and I got a half.  So it seemed like a continuation of the previus match and  after 34 holes with no more strokes to play with, you put Joe in the fairway and I put Paul Nash up against the bunker wall. Game (practically) over. Haven't used a driver on 17 since.

See you in September.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 07:16:11 PM »
1. How bad was your caddy at Royal County Down? ;D

Hello Caddie where have you been?  I hope you've got to see a few more courses and one day you'll reliase what an amazing course RCD is. (As you know) if only I had more game it would probably be my no 1.  

"My favourite bunker"

2. What course's have you been exceded/fell short of your expectations?

Pennard, most natural course I'd played. You wonder over this strange landscpe looking for the next flag. Wonderful

Woodhall Spa.  I must be missing something because I kept asking myself why is it so bloody flat, "where's the Golf?".  I steered the ball away from the bunkers and was rather underwhelmed.  I will go back.

3. Who do you surrport in the Rugby, Ireland or England?

I've only ever seen two rugby matches in Ireland back in the 80's (ask your Dad) and both times Ireland beat England to win the tripple crown. With my accent no one coulde understand why I was so happy.
 But the second time was special, I was with my father and we finshed up at the MArine Hotel DunLoaighire. About 1 am the Irish team walked in straight from the official dinner. What a night was had.

I once trained  with Willie Anderson (C.f. Dad). ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:42:07 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »

Has Van Morrison recorded anything worth listening to in the past 10-15 years?

Are you f@#%ng kidding me?  Has he recorded anything worth listening to since Them tore it up with "Gloria" when I was a college kid in 1964?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYXdQjNUPXQ

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end!

Tony, always a pleasure, looking forward to the next Buda.  That was a fun foursomes match at Deal - at least until the cross bunker at #17!  ;D

Great choice Bill.

I love foursomes but 3/8 difference is tough ieven if it's the traditonal way . At my other club it's 1/2.
I had played agianst Joe and his son in Foursomes the afternoon before and Richard Pennell and I got a half.  So it seemed like a continuation of the previus match and  after 34 holes with no more strokes to play with, you put Joe in the fairway and I put Paul Nash up against the bunker wall. Game (practically) over. Haven't used a driver on 17 since.

See you in September.

The funniest thing in that match was Joe's tee shot on #16.  He studied the Strokesaver and somehow concluded the best line was over the gun emplacement!  I'm still not sure how we found the ball and scraped out a bogey to halve the hole.

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
First, I want to say that Tony is a proper chap who I have a lot of time for.  I have greatly enjoyed our handful of games together and very much value his opinions on the game and its fields of play.  It is my hope that I can get a few more games with Tony this year not least because it is always an eye opener to see a guy hitting drives past me and taking shots.

Tony

Lay-up or go for it?

Your post from Whip it Out is copied below.

I don’t much like these threads but following by ‘the rules set at the beginning of the thread it seem the only way to get

GANTON

included is to post it with 24 others.

By region – courses I dream of my next round on.

Portrush x 2
RCD
Lahinch
Rosses Point
Rossapenna New
Pennard
Turnberry
Dornoch
Cruden Bay
TOC
TNC
North Berwick
See above
Alwoodley
Brancaster
Addington
Swinley
St Georges Hill
Woking
Hainault Forrest –composite*
Deal
Sandwich
Burnham & Berrow
Chiberta

Talk to me about TNC.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Boon

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 06:26:58 AM »
Tony,

As I asked Scott these questions, I'll also ask you:

- What are your 3 favourite holes at RCP?
- And if you were Gordon Irvine, what holes would you change at RCP and why?

Good to see that you listed Burnham & Berrow in your 25 by the way  ;D

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:27 PM »
Sean  

Just got Photobucket working again so it I can get Word sorted I'll start a New thread

James

- What are your 3 favourite holes at RCP?

I really like 3.  My best drive can put me at the base of(or even half way up)  that ridge where the bunkers are and that makes the second shot intimidating, but if I lay up I can't go for it in two.
6 ,as a midcapper I'm always in doubt as to what shot to play from the base of the green (That's after I've fluffed my second of course) It has to be one of the steepest approaches to a green I've seen
16 offers similar problem's, even after a good drive the choices are hard.

I could also make cases for  2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14 or 17

- And if you were Gordon Irvine, what holes would you change at RCP and why?

I thnk it's fair to look at all courses and ask how could they be improved.
At first I wasn't impressed with the Par 3's and in truth none of them are all world standouts. But they make a really good set.  Although it's a weakness in Foursomes to have all 3 of them as Even's, lets allow the course this foible - not all courses should be perfectly balanced. Let's just say, having played them a few times I have a lot more respect for them.

9 , 10 and 11 are all L-R doglegs of similar length.  Ten is subtly great, and for the Odd Special event it could be lengthened with a special one off tee accross the 12 th fairway?

So that makes the other two candidates for the knife. It's worse because the wind is similar on these two and they play at 414 and 408 yards.

The club could experiment with 9. There are two widely set apart sets of tees for the par 3, 8th and using the left hand ones you could reshape this hole into a near on 90 degree doglegger . Not very linksy and anyway I think they've gone the other way with a new tee on the sea wall. So leave it alone.

So I would like to see the following change on 11.  When the club put a tee on the sea wall I think they missed a trick.  I would try it further to the right making the hole play straighter. The bunker that currently defines the hole is a beuaty, cut into an undualtion but its only 255 yards to clear it. There's another at 335 yards so we need a new one between these two, creating a nice diagonal hazard.  With the hole playing straighter and the wind coming L_R that leaves a narrowing gap to aim down. At the same time I'd cut some fairway to the left because I believe its at a lower lever and though it could be a safe area to aim for, your approach angle is significantly disavantaged.  However I realise that this is based on a cursory study and there may be very good reasons why this wouldn't work.

http://www.royalcinqueports.com/index.lasso?pg=387670a47e306229&v=1&mpd=23d5bf9bf85eb5c8&catid=6c7d1cdf48c43fa4&mp=c75489e2d6c1957f  

Scott was right there is a basic similarity in the drive for 13, 15 an 16 which all play R-L. I believe his suggestion was to remove the right hand bunker of the two on 15 and allow a risky shot to gain a huge reward.  I would consider removing both bunkers as a 451 yard hole that predominantly plays into the wind is tough enough without having to take the safe line way off to the left.

http://www.royalcinqueports.com/index.lasso?pg=bfa0b50af2f76cb8&v=1&mpd=7f48bbc1fcc9c75c&catid=4f4e44772924d656&mp=d5e02f63a24c88c3  

Good to see that you listed Burnham & Berrow in your 25 by the way  ;D

Great combination of big Dunes and flat holes.  Will have to reserve final judgement until I play the back nine in a good wind when the summer rough is there. Scary thought. ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:57:08 PM by Tony_Muldoon »

Scott Warren

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »
My suggestion was actually to lose thw RHS one of the threee cross bunkers on #13, so downwind, you can have a ry at threading it past and getting close.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »
My suggestion was actually to lose thw RHS one of the threee cross bunkers on #13, so downwind, you can have a ry at threading it past and getting close.

Sorry Scott must pay more attention.  Surely those cross bunkers are there  to confuse shorter hitters when it's really in your face?  Anyway surely you'd have to take two out to make it any sort of risk reward off the tee?

http://www.royalcinqueports.com/index.lasso?pg=022de94c592cdea5&v=1&mpd=9af9d8db6d5732ec&catid=1cde8ca354a45eb9&mp=df5dcdd3dfc9e80e

Scott Warren

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 05:07:27 PM »
Yeah, perhaps the middle and right ones, with the left one moved a touch to the right.

I have driven it in them a couple of times downwind, I think they serve a double purpose for long hitters downwind on the drive and short hitters into it on the second.

If you were to do that though, I recon you'd need to realign the grenside bunkering so the best line in was from around the line of the existing bunker around the 300m mark from the tee, which is where the natural contours of the land in the DZ seem to feed the ball in any case.

James Boon

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 04:21:55 AM »
Tony,

Interesting that 3, 6 and 16 were also Scott's favourites. My favourites also, but thats from a caddies perspective from back at Final Qualifying in 2003 as I've not yet had the pleasure myself. So they must be 3 good holes if viewed from 3 different playing capabilities (you said you were a mid handicap, Scott's about 8 and then my preference comes from seeing the pros play it).

And my apologies. Martin Ebert is the architect for the work at RCP, while Gordon Irvine is the guy who implements the work (thanks Mark for pointing out my error).

I'd be happy for a game at Burnham when the back 9 is into the wind with some killer summer rough. And yes, it is scary when its like that!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
James no need to apologise we are very lucky to have the services of Martin Ebert and Gordon irvine.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back