News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Thank you from Ben and Ran
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:28:27 AM »
2009 was a choppy year around the world and GolfClubAtlas.com wasn't immune, primarily as we went through the trials and tribulations of cutting over to a new platform. Ben held the ship together and needed to as I was about to mutiny as wordsrantogetherthroughout the hundreds of pages of text during the change over. We also lost our links that were high in Google but that rectifies itself on a daily basis thanks to heavy traffic. Thank you for your patience during this transition and we are glad to be on the new platform where we continue to tweak things behind the scenes to make it more stable/user friendly.  

Through it all, the Discussion Group continued on its indomitable way, careening at breakneck speed here and there with some blood spilt along the way. Things overheated a few times as is to be expected on a subject matter that people ferociously care about but overall, here at the start of year, we seem to have found calmer waters. To me, that is good but I appreciate others with more of the WWE mentality tune in for the wrestling and so be it.

My counter for new posters shows 168 were added since the spring cutover and the vast majority of the 1,500 registered participants made at least a few posts in 2009. That's the way it should be - no reason to take up a spot if you aren't going to post. In all likelihood, we will add another ~220 people in 2010 as that has been our track record for the previous four years.

Unfortunately, some folks still struggle with the concept of posting under your own name and/or sticking to the subject of golf course architecture. Ultimately, their place at the table is swapped for someone who grasps this notion. Also, if your vocabulary is so limited as to require salty language to limp your point across the finish line, go elsewhere. More and more young people read the Discussion Group and whether they go on to become Kye Goalby or, heaven forbid, Rod Whitman  ;), I don't know but we are going to keep the discussions clean (though passionate) so that all age groups can enjoy this site. And please don't feign shock and indignation when your thread on college mascots disappears - it was deleted. This web site is a monster with its server space requirements and we aren't going to archive off topic threads as they all add up.

Many eyeballs follow the site - 7920 different computers logged onto the site one day this past December which is an all-time high for us. Ben and I always stay focused in the desire that first time visitors will see value in the site and that they will find the Discussion Group as a place for erudite conversation in which they would like to participate. Remember:  Golf course architecture is the subject matter that unites us all as opposed to who can be the pithiest and/or throw the most jello.

Having said that, what can we do to improve the site? The search function is much better according to researcher extraordinaire Dan Wexler, so that is a positive from the transition. What else should we be considering? New features,etc?

There are lots of fond memories out of 2009 and we each get from the web site what we put in it. As for mine, watching Harry the Hippo give chase to Joe Andriole at Leopard Creek was one as was listening to Joe's various flights back home with a precious bottle of Pinotage that made it all the way until he was placing it on his wine rack in Florida - and dropped it!  :'( Pat Mucci saw me crush a drive down the eighteenth at Winged Foot West and - true story - immediately implored Neil to whisk him away to the first green. Yes, he was that scared!  8) I have never seen anyone flee quicker (except Ted Sturges when a bill comes) and I have no doubt that Pat will collaborate my version. Matthew Bradley made up for his father's numerous shortcomings by providing this site a bunch of good photos from Tralee and Waterville that helped those profiles immeasurably. His father helped his own cause by going down in flames to me at The Cascades with the estimable Tom Paul as match referee. New course profiles were added and a rugby match broke out in the Courses by Country section when two courses from South Africa and two courses in New Zealand were added. Two all-time favorite Golden Age courses (Essex County and Eastward Ho!) received updated profiles and just being at each place reminds me how fortunate we all are to be golfers. Not a lot of quality new courses with enduring features opened but when one did like at Clear Creek at Tahoe, we covered it. Also, the opportunity to meet Julian Robertson and spend time with him was a great life experience: the man is a champion and I say that based on what he has done for my alma mater at UNC Chapel Hill, for keeping New Zealand golf relevant in the world's eye by getting golf broadcast from there, for his work at the Auckland Art Museum and on and on. Finally, despite the recession, more people sent in a donation to GolfClubAtlas than the year previous which was gratefully received as the cut-over to the new platform was both timely and expensive. Thanks to everyone in the Contribution Section (and that is A LOT of people which shows the broad base of generous support that we enjoy), GolfClubAtlas.com will run commercial free for another twelve months.

What does 2010 hold? Greg Ohlendorf soon to be posted piece on Flossmor will get GolfClubAtlas off to a great start this year and will set a new standard for detailing a course's restoration. The opening of Old Macdonald will give us all something to ponder, namely are these the best set of greens in the United States (begging pardon from Pine Valley, Oakmont, and Yeamans Hall)? On top of Old Mac, Lost Farms opens in November, which means there may be two new world top twenty courses  :o this time next year. It will be a very busy year on Cape Breton as well as we go full speed ahead at Cabot Links where we start on the irrigation pond next month (let's hope Rod remembers to bring his mittens!). And you don't think this is a great period at the high end of golf course architecture? Give me a break and this is the end of the spectrum that this web site likes to chronicle. The fact that golf course openings are off 90% in North America gives existing courses a chance to find more golfers - and that's a good thing. Plus, that's a lot of poorly conceived real estate courses no longer coming on line and that's a good thing as well. This sport was losing its way with all the extra trappings and needs to get back to its core of bringing friends and family together in the great outdoors and away from zooming between rows of condos in a revved-up golf cart. Yes, courses that embrace the best attributes of the game will continue to be the only ones profiled under Courses by Country (though Brad Miller keeps asking me to throw a course under the bus and I keep asking him to invite me to his local course).

Through all the comings and goings, let's hope that more discussions centering around intense debate on architecture ensues on this web site. One thing is for sure and that is we are on the right medium and it is a genuine pleasure to make the acquaintance of so many people around the world. And I need this web site to be a facilitator as it is harder and harder for me to find people inept enough at golf to allow me to sneak out a win (there is only one 'Choke' Dawson who permitted me to finish bogey-bogey-bogey at The Dunes to surge to victory by one, having been two down on the sixteenth tee)!

Happy New Year, thank you again for your support and let's make 2010 count.

Keep golf uncluttered and fun and allow people to find out just how great the sport really is. Pictured is a par three green under construction at Cabot Links, which will feature no cart paths as it is walking only.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:11:31 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Anthony Gray

Re: Thank you from Ben and Ran
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »

Ran,

You have definatly ccreated a "monster". Did I spell monster correctly. I hope The Golf & Travel experience is a success.

Anthony

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »

Many eyeballs follow the site - 7920 different computers logged onto the site one day this past December which is an all-time high for us. Ben and I always stay focused in the desire that first time visitors will see value in the site and that they will find the Discussion Group as a place for erudite conversation in which they would like to participate. Remember:  Golf course architecture is the subject matter that unites us all as opposed to who can be the pithiest and/or throw the most jello.

Having said that, what can we do to improve the site?

It would appear that the December 7920 statistic supports rather than hurts the concept of and interest in OT discussion.

December 2009 - no new courses opening, no PGA tournaments, few people playing golf. Why oh why did GCA.com hit an all time high that month?  :-*

Tiger Woods girlfriends, college football, music, politics and international football/soccer are a few of the things that tie in the loose ends of GCA relationships beyond golf courses and architecture of same. As one poster said last week to me at Sugarloaf, "How many times can I read about the 14th at Garden City?" GCA.com needs a separate OT section, the same way that the course profiles and interviews are now "sticking" to the top of the discussion group.

As a free market kind of guy, the last two years of Merion threads and economic meltdown show that we all need some moderating in our lives. IMO GCA.com needs a few moderators. It should not all be pinned on one guy like Tommy in the old days. It was not fair to him. There should be 5-10 guys, identified as moderators and with some balance in their lives  ;) that can keep things on topic. How many threads more than three pages are not 3-6 guys arguing?

Rule # 1 of the new regime: Mike Sweeney is not a moderator.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:52:46 AM by Mike Sweeney »

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »
Thanks Ran and Ben for a great site and let me support the notion that Mike Sweeney should not be a moderator.   :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:21:09 AM »
Mike/Ran: I'm sure there would be a way to make an OT section visible to members only, ensuring the DG that guests can see is 100% architecture related. Good for the site and would certainly please many members (both those who want an OT section and those who hate OT threads).

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:23:08 AM »
Ran/Ben,

Thanks for everything! This site helped me, and I'd imagine a few others, through a very difficult year, and taught us something along the way...Happy New Year and can't wait to head up to Nova Scotia!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:50:09 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ed Oden

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »
Ran (and Ben), many thanks for continuing to offer such a wonderful refuge.  Whatever faults there may be on the DG pale in comparison to the positives.  I hope that 2010 brings only good things both personally and professionally.

My only real suggestion for improvement to the DG would be to restore the ability to view larger format photos.  This problem has been discussed before, most notably in replies 42, 60 and 89-91 of this thread...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39654.35/

So many people are drawn to this site by the treasure trove of photo tours contained within the walls of the DG, most of which can no longer be seen in full.  In my opinion, restoring the ability to do so would be the single most user friendly change you could make.

Thanks again!

Ed

PS - While Matthew Bradley can make up for the shortcomings of his father, he can't make up for mine when I'm his partner.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:50:40 AM by Ed Oden »

Robert Emmons

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »
Thank You both for the wonderful site. It makes you sane and crazy at the same time. Just great...RHE

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »
thanks Ran and Ben!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »
Ran and Ben,

Thanks for this site, it really has been a joy despite its ballroom brawl type atmosphere from time to time.

As for suggestions going forward, I think it would be great to have a "Travel" section of sorts for the DG where we can organize appropriate posts by country, region, and city for those who are looking for advice when traveling to City/Region XYZ.  There is a lot of really great information contained in these threads for those visiting new areas and I will volunteer my time to wade thru the countless threads and organize this section so all the information is easily accessible.

Thanks,

Kalen Braley

Bart Bradley

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:09:28 AM »
Ran and Ben:

First of all, thanks for this most important and enjoyable website.

Despite Ed's piling on about my shortcomings  ;D, I would agree with his statements regarding photo viewing as being the single most important problem in terms of functionality.

I also agree with Mike that the site could you some moderators ... I believe iit would head off a significant number of the problems that develop.

I would also like to mention that Ran's memory seems to be quite selective...he doesn't seem to remember a certain 6 and 5 PASTING he received at Grandfather. 

Bart

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »
Ran and Ben -

Thank you so much for all you do for this site and its participants.  I am very lucky I stumbled upon this site and discussion group when I did, and that you allowed me to join.  I enjoy every second I get to spend here!

I hope to meet more fellow GCA'ers in 2010!

Cheers

TJ Patterson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 11:38:22 AM »
Ran and Ben:

First of all, thanks for this most important and enjoyable website.

Despite Ed's piling on about my shortcomings  ;D, I would agree with his statements regarding photo viewing as being the single most important problem in terms of functionality.

I also agree with Mike that the site could you some moderators ... I believe iit would head off a significant number of the problems that develop.

I would also like to mention that Ran's memory seems to be quite selective...he doesn't seem to remember a certain 6 and 5 PASTING he received at Grandfather. 

Bart

Ran does not remember losses, even in four ball matches at his home club.  He only remembers wins!

I fully concur with those praising Golf Club Atlas.  I have no idea how I would have survived the end of 2008 and all of 2009 without the daily energy provided by GCA.com and the passion of its WWE (loved that!) debates on the DG.

GCA.com has also made it possible for so many of us to meet face to face in the companionship that only golf can bring.  Whether it's drinks in the bar at Deal or hiking the roller coaster fairways of the Palmetto Club, many great experiences have come from affiliation with this great website.

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »
A few things I have appreciated this year:

1.  New DG Members:  We all tend to get a bit repetitive in our postings over time.  In the last several months several new people have become active and, even when treading over previously discussed ground, have provided new insigts and sparked interesting discussions.

2.  Terrific Outings - official and unofficial - I have now participated in all of the big three events (DIxie, Buda and Kings Putter) and am amazed (or a bit concerned) that I can take a trip with a group of people I only know through the intenet and have a terrific time.  The "other" events I have attended have also been terrific.  I believe every person I have met has either been extremely enjoyable to play with (95% of the time) or, at a minimum, very interesting.  The twin cities contingent plays together several times per year and the group now has the feel of a regular group.  I also have played with a large number of people informally - either those visiting Minneapolis or others who are available when I travel.  I have forged some nice friendships out of those experiences.

3.  Superintendents - We are blessed with a large number of superintendants that seemed more active this last year.  It is terrific to have a reality check on what it is really like to maintain a course.  I am embarking on a year of serving as a Green Committee Co-Chairman and have a much better understanding of where I can be helpful in such a role and where I should yield to the experts.

4.  Architects - It is pretty amazing how active and informative our participating architects are.  I really appreciate the contrasting perspectives of Jeff Brauer and Tom Doak and in particular appreciate Jeff's defense of certain practices that are not always favored by the general view.

5.  The terrific index of pictures and course reviews.  It has become my first source for planning/dreaming about future trips  http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »

Ran does not remember losses, even in four ball matches at his home club.  He only remembers wins!

[/quote]

they say all great  ;) ::) players have that mentality Ace:  its never their fault, they never make a bad swing etc...

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »
with all the new GCAers of late, perhaps one of our tech-savvy types could find that thread on which they could introduce themselves, thank you

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 02:35:32 PM »
Mike/Ran: I'm sure there would be a way to make an OT section visible to members only, ensuring the DG that guests can see is 100% architecture related. Good for the site and would certainly please many members (both those who want an OT section and those who hate OT threads).

Ker'ching.  We have a winner.

If storage space is the problem then just set it up so that threads in the O/T section will only be stored for 12 months after the last entry?

The demand is there.

PS Thanks Ran and Ben
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:23:58 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »
What does 2010 hold?....The opening of Old Macdonald will give us all something to ponder, namely are these the best set of greens in the United States (begging pardon from Pine Valley, Oakmont, and Yeamans Hall)? On top of Old Mac, Lost Farms opens in November, which means there may be two new world top twenty courses  :o this time next year. It will be a very busy year on Cape Breton as well as we go full speed ahead at Cabot Links where we start on the irrigation pond next month (let's hope Rod remembers to bring his mittens!).

You're not excited about your own home course, Dormie Club, opening in late spring (IIRC)?  You've gushed over it.  Even if 'home course' isn't true any more....it's supposed to be pretty darned good.  Unless the opening has been put off again.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 05:28:55 PM »
Ran & Ben - Kudos on the changeover this year. I know it was tough and caused quite a few restless nights. Thanks for putting in the effort to improve the product.

All the best with your Travel endeavors. There is great potential there.

Can wait to visit Cabot Links and watch you stripe it down the first fairway!  ;)

Cheers!!!

Mike
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:12:00 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Nick Church

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 05:30:20 PM »
Thanks to you for doing all the "heavy lifting" around here.  I thoroughly enjoy visiting this site.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 06:08:48 PM »
Pat Mucci saw me crush a drive down the eighteenth at Winged Foot West and - true story - immediately implored Neil to whisk him away to the first green. Yes, he was that scared!   

I have never seen anyone flee quicker (except Ted Sturges when a bill comes) and I have no doubt that Pat will collaborate my version.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it, but, yes, Ran did crush his drive on # 18 at WFW.
The ball had perfect flight, with a little right to left trajectory.
I'm happy to collaborate that part of the story.
As unbelievable as it might seem, Ran's account is accurate.

As to the other part of the story about me being scared, when Ran and others related how well he played that day, I offered to pay whatever it cost to fly him in, put him up in a hotel and supply all the food and beverage that he could comsume for one or more  rounds at Garden City, Mt Ridge or the course of his choice.  The offer remains as an open, unexpiring invitation ;D

Thanks Ran and Ben for the opportunity to participate on a most interesting and informative site

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »
Ran and Ben,

Thanks for everything you do for this site. I also appreciate the kind words on my upcoming IMO piece on Flossmoor CC. It's the inspiration of all the members of the site that makes all of the great stories of the great courses we read and write about here possible.

Best,

Greg

ChipOat

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »
Ran,

Amen.

Chip

Steve Lang

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 07:31:04 PM »
 8) A big TX THANKYOU Ben and Ran!!!  Best wishes for 2010... hope to see you this spring at THE destination..

The new platform was worth the hassle from this user's perspective, and yes the search function is much better.  I'd keep it simple as is, that's what the DG's success is based upon..  

if there's anything I'd like to see implemented, its a 'Founders Corner" a place to keep a set of your favorite raw or even editted threads.   Give folks a link, inspire greatness, and reward the standard of discussion you expect.

p.s. so Pat Mucci was collaborating on that improved swing? he did corroborate what he saw!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:33:13 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 04:10:22 AM »

+1

Ran & Ben

Thanks for all you do to make my working day more tolerable!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back