News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jed Peters

Okay, I just called to make reservations (possibly) for Pebble--I'm hosting a client there sometime later this month or early next.

I kid you not, they want $695 a night to stay in the lodge.

Now, honestly I have no problem paying to play the novelty known as Pebble Beach.

I do have a problem paying 695 a night for a room, down there, mid week, during the winter.

I mean, come on.

How do they expect to book up? That's just crazy talk, and I'm doing the whole price is no object spend money on a big client thing.

Bill_McBride

That is so Gordon Gecko - "Greed is good!"

Very '80s.

jeffwarne

Okay, I just called to make reservations (possibly) for Pebble--I'm hosting a client there sometime later this month or early next.

I kid you not, they want $695 a night to stay in the lodge.

Now, honestly I have no problem paying to play the novelty known as Pebble Beach.

I do have a problem paying 695 a night for a room, down there, mid week, during the winter.

I mean, come on.

How do they expect to book up? That's just crazy talk, and I'm doing the whole price is no object spend money on a big client thing.

Evidently price is an object-hopefully your client isn't lurking ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Clayman

Jed, Is it near or around the At&t?

What's the room rate at Spanish Bay?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jed Peters

Jed, Is it near or around the At&t?

What's the room rate at Spanish Bay?

They want 330 a night, a special rate, apparently.

Still crazy talk. I've stayed there.....you can get Casa Munras in downtown Monterey for 75 bucks....

Yeah, looking to stay end of this month, beginning of next....

Morgan Clawson

Big bucks.

But a good problem to have.

Scott_Burroughs

A night's stay is only required for advanced (and guaranteed) tee times beyond one day ahead.  One can call the day ahead (or certainly, day of) to ask for a tee time the following day without staying at the resort.  That's what I did in '98.  I bet tee times are a little easier to come by these days, as well, with the economy (both personal and business spending).  Rolling the dice w/a client isn't exactly good business, though.   :)

Oh, and the 'normal' lowest rate at the Inn at Spanish Bay is $100 less, not counting discounts as you found out.

Mac Plumart

If there is demand for the rooms at that price...they will charge it.

Aren't the rounds there super expensive as well?

Evidently, Pebble isn't overrated since they charge (perhaps) the highest fees for rooms, rounds and the like for the priveledge to be on their property!!  ;)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Anthony Gray

Jed,

There are just some courses that some people don't belong.

Anthony

Dan Boerger

My strong suspicion is that there aren't a lot of people that frequently stay at Pebble. And the small number that may are probably either uber-rich or get steep discounts.

So, the $700/night is charged and evidently gotten just for people like you Jed -- ones that want to cross Pebble off their bucket list or are doing some serious client entertaining. Having done some serious client entertaining in my day, the guaranteed tee time may be well worth it.

I consider myself frugal (my wife would sometimes say cheap) ... but there are times I need to remind myself that I've never seen a bank truck following a hearse.
 :)
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jim Colton

Re: This has gotta be a GCA question SOMEHOW since it involves PEBBLE BEACH
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 08:32:28 AM »
This is timely for me as I'm also considering biting the bullet in March and would like to spend less money as opposed to more.

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »
When demand is lower they run more discounts and at times allow advance booking without a resort stay (usually for ncga members - whch you can join if you'd like.)

I called and talked to a customer servce rep a few days ago and was told that they are not currently running those deals and thatthe rooms and times are being booked quite nicely for the next few months - likely due to the approaching US Open.

Last year was the time to play (other than decades ago!) discouts were being offered, not much advance notice was needed, and the fairways had only barely begun to be narrowed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:35:09 AM by Tim Bert »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:51:03 AM »

It's only crazy talk if they're not full enough for that price to make sense.  Do you know that they aren't reasonably full?

(The Four Seasons in Santa Barbara is about that much for a weekend night in January....)

Sean Leary

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:32 AM »
For many years in the winter they have been doing a two night, play PB and Spy or Spanish Bay, even before the economy tanked..Maybe that makes more sense?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 10:01:21 AM »

Just suck it up, put on your best golf clothes and have a blast.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »
Jed, that is their world and it has not changed. The winter deals are a bit more frequent now but always have been there. I used to stay there exclusively but once I stopped golfing there are places in Carmel that are very nice at half the price. Monterey can be pretty soso.

Jon Heise

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »
When I played in November, I was lucky enough to "charm" the reservation lady to give me a guaranteed tee time (for a single) several weeks ahead WITHOUT staying at the resort.  I stayed at a little hotel nearby for like $60 a night.  While she gave me a monstrous hook up, what I suspect is that she gave a member benefit from the NCGA.  http://www.ncga.org/

I had called them the week before I left, hoping they'd have some kind of discount on the big guy.  No price breaks, but they did tell me that the members are allowed to book tee times in advance without staying at the PB Lodge.  I'm not sure what the timeline for that deal is, but it might be useful to you.
I still like Greywalls better.

Jed Peters

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 12:21:05 PM »
When I played in November, I was lucky enough to "charm" the reservation lady to give me a guaranteed tee time (for a single) several weeks ahead WITHOUT staying at the resort.  I stayed at a little hotel nearby for like $60 a night.  While she gave me a monstrous hook up, what I suspect is that she gave a member benefit from the NCGA.  http://www.ncga.org/

I had called them the week before I left, hoping they'd have some kind of discount on the big guy.  No price breaks, but they did tell me that the members are allowed to book tee times in advance without staying at the PB Lodge.  I'm not sure what the timeline for that deal is, but it might be useful to you.

Right now it's 14 days out with no hotel stay.

There are no NCGA discounts currently on pebble.

It is what it is.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »
Try Hotels.com for some deals or the Del Monte Lodge or Monterey Hilton have some good rates this time of year and have transport to Pebble and would still be impressive to clients.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

JohnV

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »

It is what it is.

From our Website:  http://www.pebblebeach.com/display/ga-vs0910/ncga.html

Not really a discount, but you can get a free room upgrade.

JohnV

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »

It is what it is.

An e-mail went out today to all NCGA members with the following rates:
Pebble - 395 - 25% discount
Spyglass - 245 - 35%
Spanish Bay - 150 - 49%

Good from 1/13 through 2/7

In the e-mail they mention that the fairways have been narrowed to US Open width and that there are 16 new bunkers, 11 new tees, four greens rebuilt all under the direction of Arnold Palmer.

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »

It is what it is.

Spyglass - 245 - 35%
Spanish Bay - 150 - 49%

Good from 1/13 through 2/7

In the e-mail they mention that the fairways have been narrowed to US Open width and that there are 16 new bunkers, 11 new tees, four greens rebuilt all under the direction of Arnold Palmer.

11 new tees? I wonder since when, since they have been adding tees for a while now.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 04:09:57 PM »

Spyglass - 245 - 35%
Spanish Bay - 150 - 49%

Did the e-mail quote those % discounts?  Because none of them are correct (base for each are 495, 340, & 260).

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
Evwer consider asking you client to sleep in the car? even better than a motel 6

This is a recession isn't it...this will tell you whether he"s a good client or not. ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »
Remember who their client base is... $700 per night is cheaper than Tokyo!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back