News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Scotland travel advice
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »
Dunvegan's is a wonderful place for post round beverages.

Check out the Jigger Inn as well which is attached to the Old Course Hotel.  Neat little restaurant/pub.

http://www.oldcoursehotel.kohler.com/restaurants/jiggers_inn_index.html

[Sotto voce]  Hopefully Chris Kane won't see this.   ;)

Ron Csigo

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »

Check out the Jigger Inn as well which is attached to the Old Course Hotel.  Neat little restaurant/pub.

Porque?!
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »

Brad,

Did you get my IM? Also the advice of Gary Slater is the best so far, especially if your wife is along for the trip. Make life time memories and gather ye rose buds as you may.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »

Porque?!

Chris spent a year there, was in St Andrews when I was there in 2007 and thought the Dunvegan was way too "American."

He's probably right but it's an excellent meeting place with decent pub food and a lovely hostess in Ms Sheena Willoughby.   ;D

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »

Porque?!

Chris spent a year there, was in St Andrews when I was there in 2007 and thought the Dunvegan was way too "American."

He's probably right but it's an excellent meeting place with decent pub food and a lovely hostess in Ms Sheena Willoughby.   ;D

Bill have you met Chris?  He doesn't realise it but unfortunately for him he suffers from "Youth" and thus favours the safety in numbers in the studenty place next door.  Well I'm sorry Chris but I wasn't going to watch the PGA while the Chonchords were tuning it up in the corner.  Anyway while the golf was on, the corner of the Dunvegan bar was occupied by the entertaining Mr Gordon Murray, 'star' of Pepper's book Two Years in St Andrews.  Hardly a classic but a nice read about what it's like to live there (if you happen to know everyone in golf.)  Go to the Dunvegan, it's friendly,  people talk to you, it's fun.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Chris Kane

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
Bill have you met Chris?  He doesn't realise it but unfortunately for him he suffers from "Youth" and thus favours the safety in numbers in the studenty place next door.  Well I'm sorry Chris but I wasn't going to watch the PGA while the Chonchords were tuning it up in the corner. 
Simply not true Tony!! - I dislike the Dunvegan because I don't see the point in going all the way to Scotland to then visit an American pub!  Easily the worst pub in town (and yes, I got to know them all [except the Stables] very well!). 

The Dunvegan isn't the only place not dominated by students - I really liked the Jigger Inn, which wasn't a student place at all.

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 07:11:32 PM »
I would recommend George Pepper's book as well.  Perfect for the plane ride over to whet your appetite...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »
Chris Kane's Uncle molests Kangaroos...

Boy, I have to stop watching Caddyshack. Chris is correct though, that The Dunvegan is an American pub planted in St Andrews and that for a more authentically 'Scottish' experience, one should venture further afield.

But, isn't it true that we all kind of try to find our 'familiar' territory when touring in foreign lands. That's why, in practically EVERY city in the Western World, there's a freakin 'Irish Pub'. I LOVE Guinness, but in Prague, gimme a great Pilsner ANYTIME!!! (yes, Prague has an Irish pub  :'()

Fortune favours the brave. St Andrews has a couple more pubs, fellas - get your face licked in the Home of Golf...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »

Porque?!

Bill have you met Chris?  He doesn't realise it but unfortunately for him he suffers from "Youth" and thus favours the safety in numbers in the studenty place next door.  Well I'm sorry Chris but I wasn't going to watch the PGA while the Chonchords were tuning it up in the corner.  Anyway while the golf was on, the corner of the Dunvegan bar was occupied by the entertaining Mr Gordon Murray, 'star' of Pepper's book Two Years in St Andrews.  Hardly a classic but a nice read about what it's like to live there (if you happen to know everyone in golf.)  Go to the Dunvegan, it's friendly,  people talk to you, it's fun.

Tony, Chris and I are old friends and have drank and dined together in St Andrews.  That's why I yank his chain from time to time!

He's probably right about the Dunvegan but it's where my brother and I stayed my first visit to St A, and I'm still impressed with the friendly staff who have always treated me well.  It's also where I engaged a caddie one evening who was drunker the next morning at 6:30 than when we parted at midnight.

** To say the rooms are small in the Dunvegan would not be untruthful, when my brother and I stayed there our travel bag covers took up most of the space left over in the room!

Scott Warren

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:12 PM »
That's why, in practically EVERY city in the Western World, there's a freakin 'Irish Pub'. I LOVE Guinness, but in Prague, gimme a great Pilsner ANYTIME!!! (yes, Prague has an Irish pub  :'()

The sad thing is that I know you're right because when we hit town in 2006, somehow we ended up in it right off the bat (bit of Dutch courage before checking out The Sex Machines Museum). Still, when three pints of Pilsner Urquel is setting you back less than two euro, the cultural shame is easily forgotten ;D

Brian Freeman

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 03:13:38 PM »
Brad: I'm headed to Scotland for the first time on a nearly identical golf itinerary with my best friend about a month after you (arrive June 24th).  I believe as a direct result, winter is passing slower than normal this year...

We're flying into Edinburgh but doing the same afternoon trip to North Berwick as well - didn't seem too unreasonable although we allowed 5 hours after our scheduled arrival to get there just in case.  That's followed by 3 days in St Andrews to play the New, Jubilee, and Kingsbarns (TOC is closed by then for the Open although we are hoping to at least roam around & get some good pictures), Carnoustie, 2 days at Royal Dornoch, and a grand finale at Royal Aberdeen & Cruden Bay. 

Most of the tour groups seem to place more emphasis on the west coast/Turnberry area and East Lothian (which makes since as the $$$ for Tunberry, Troon, and Muirfield were huge turn-offs for us), so I am hopeful Dornoch & Aberdeen will make for a true Scottish experience a little more off the beaten path.

Looks like you are getting to St Andrews on the last good week of availability at TOC before the Open, so hopefully you will get to experience what we will miss there:
http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the_courses/busy_dates2010.html

Carnoustie is great to hit on the way up to or back from Cruden Bay/Aberdeen as it is directly on the way.  Don't forget sunset is not until around 10pm that time of year so 36 in a day is certainly possible if an opportunity presents itself although we have just planned for 18 each day - certainly 9 straight days of golf will be plenty!

Another poster referenced this, and I would echo to yourself & others - DEFINITELY buy the Ferguson book on Scotland - although it sounds like you've figured your courses out already, it was the best $24.95 I've spent thus far on the trip as it definitely impacted my selection of courses and also helped somewhat with lodging options.  I think it's the 1st result on Amazon under "scotland golf", and there's a good reason for that.  If you haven't booked lodging in Dornoch yet, I would suggest prioritizing that as supply is very limited up there given Dornoch itself only has 10K full-time residents.  That was arguably the toughest thing for me to get booked.  We're staying at the Bank House, which was recommended by Ferguson.  Surprisingly, everything else was very easy, although availability was already getting lean in November at a couple of places.  Can't imagine what this was like prior to the internet and e-mail. 

If I had any follow-up questions for the group, I guess they would be: 1) where would be the best courses for a lesser-known course for a 2nd round in a day if it presented itself, 2) a continuation of thoughts on best pubs, as I like where this thread is going  :)

Tim Johnson

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 04:40:58 PM »
Brian
I would suggest driving up and playing Brora when in Dornoch, from everything that I have heard, it is just a great natural course.
A good site to look at is Top 100 golf courses, they have the usual proper write up but also readers have sent in their 2 cents so you can get a real nice feel for the courses.
Other courses:Old Moray, Murcar, Panmure and Gullane #1 & #2.

have fun
Tim

Mark Arata

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »
I was just over there in September, please do not miss Lundin Links, just a great great place.....
While Gullane was fine, I would play another round on North Berwick, if it wasnt for Royal Dornoch, it would be my favorite course of the trip.

Brora is fun, but watch out for the "obstructions" They can be rather large depending on the animal leaving them. Panmure was nice, but it was partially flooded when we played, so didnt really get the whole picture of the place.
I would also throw in Boat of Garten on your drive from St Andrew to Dornoch, very fun, very low key place. We played Crail (Craigshead) on one of the days we missed the ballot, the par 3's are a bear there, but it is a very good course. Castle Stuart is just awesome, your wife will love it, it is drop dead goregous, and the course is terrific as well.

We caught Cruden Bay on a bad day, they had rain and the rough was impossibly high, we bagged a 2nd round there and ended up playing the afternoon at Fraiserburgh, fun place, the first and last holes are nothing, but the 2nd hole goes up a giant hill and after that there are a bunch of very fun holes....cheap to, I think it was 25 pounds.

Enjoy it, we played 20 rounds in 12 days, cant wait to do it again (ballot on first try at the old course too, dont know what the big deal is ;D)
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 05:50:32 PM »
Brad: I'm headed to Scotland for the first time on a nearly identical golf itinerary with my best friend about a month after you (arrive June 24th).  I believe as a direct result, winter is passing slower than normal this year...

We're flying into Edinburgh but doing the same afternoon trip to North Berwick as well - didn't seem too unreasonable although we allowed 5 hours after our scheduled arrival to get there just in case.  That's followed by 3 days in St Andrews to play the New, Jubilee, and Kingsbarns (TOC is closed by then for the Open although we are hoping to at least roam around & get some good pictures), Carnoustie, 2 days at Royal Dornoch, and a grand finale at Royal Aberdeen & Cruden Bay. 

Most of the tour groups seem to place more emphasis on the west coast/Turnberry area and East Lothian (which makes since as the $$$ for Tunberry, Troon, and Muirfield were huge turn-offs for us), so I am hopeful Dornoch & Aberdeen will make for a true Scottish experience a little more off the beaten path.

Looks like you are getting to St Andrews on the last good week of availability at TOC before the Open, so hopefully you will get to experience what we will miss there:
http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the_courses/busy_dates2010.html

Carnoustie is great to hit on the way up to or back from Cruden Bay/Aberdeen as it is directly on the way.  Don't forget sunset is not until around 10pm that time of year so 36 in a day is certainly possible if an opportunity presents itself although we have just planned for 18 each day - certainly 9 straight days of golf will be plenty!

Another poster referenced this, and I would echo to yourself & others - DEFINITELY buy the Ferguson book on Scotland - although it sounds like you've figured your courses out already, it was the best $24.95 I've spent thus far on the trip as it definitely impacted my selection of courses and also helped somewhat with lodging options.  I think it's the 1st result on Amazon under "scotland golf", and there's a good reason for that.  If you haven't booked lodging in Dornoch yet, I would suggest prioritizing that as supply is very limited up there given Dornoch itself only has 10K full-time residents.  That was arguably the toughest thing for me to get booked.  We're staying at the Bank House, which was recommended by Ferguson.  Surprisingly, everything else was very easy, although availability was already getting lean in November at a couple of places.  Can't imagine what this was like prior to the internet and e-mail. 

If I had any follow-up questions for the group, I guess they would be: 1) where would be the best courses for a lesser-known course for a 2nd round in a day if it presented itself, 2) a continuation of thoughts on best pubs, as I like where this thread is going  :)

Brian, Muirfield is indeed expensive but it was one of the best days of my long golfing career when we played there in 2007.  Four balls in the morning, change into jacket and tie, eat and drink to excess, change into golf gear, back out for a two ball round (foursomes or singles) after lunch.  It's available to visitors on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

"The day" at Muirfield and a couple of rounds on North Berwick makes for a great brief visit to East Lothian, golf heaven.

The upstairs bar in the North Berwick is a great place to drink a few pints, there are a couple of tables that look down over the 18th green.

Another suggestion is to find Kyle Henderson's photo tour threads of all the courses he played in Scotland last year.  There are some great ideas in those threads.

Mostly just take a lot of time wandering around the villages and towns in Scotland, it is a very special place.   8)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 07:04:20 PM »
I'll do a very similar trip in August, starting at St Andrews, then going up to Cruden Bay, then Dornoch and back down to St Andrews and Northumberland on the way home. I can definitely confirm that B&Bs in Dornoch are filling up by the minute. I am looking in Tain right now!

As for the Old Course, I will try to get out in the late afternoon and, failing that, getting a local resident drunk, so he invites me :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »
Ulrich,

First you have to find a SOBER local resident that you can buy drinks for so that he remembers you at the first tee!!  ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »
Anyone going for more than a week and not planning one day at Machrihanish to play old and new will look back at that omission as one of the biggest golf travel mistakes they'll ever make.

Okay, maybe a little bit of hyperbole, but you get the point.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 11:25:51 PM »
Just curious about The Golf Hotel. In 07, the hotel was closed but was purchased by somebody and they were renovating it. Did that happen? It was a great place to have a beer after the round. As usual on these trips, your conversation would join others as everybody starting talking about which route/courses they were playing.
I can't find any updates on the hotel status.
Thanks
Tim

David_Tepper

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 09:00:16 AM »
Tim Johnson -

Scotland is full of "Golf Hotels." Which one are you referring to?

DT

Tim Johnson

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 10:07:51 AM »
DT
Sorry, it was in reference to the comments regarding difficulty in getting a bed in Dornoch.

David_Tepper

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2010, 10:24:04 AM »
The Royal Golf Hotel in Dornoch is expected to re-open this spring for the 2010 golfing season. The property has not been renovated in any material way.

Mark Arata

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »
http://www.highfieldhouse.co.uk/

We stayed here for a few days when in Dornoch, just down the street from the course, on the main line.....Very nice place, very reasonable, and the people that run it were exceptionally nice and accomodating. Highly recommend it.

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 12:29:18 PM »
The Royal Golf Hotel in Dornoch is expected to re-open this spring for the 2010 golfing season. The property has not been renovated in any material way.

Interesting - when we were there in June 2008 it appeared to be abandoned and run down.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010, 11:56:58 PM »
Gentlemen, thanks for the advice.  Brora is probably a likely evening round, if only for the post-trip stories of playing a course with sheep.  And Castle Stuart was on the plan, but had to cut out a day due to scheduling restraints...  Funny that I already know there's going to have to be a 2nd trip down the road and haven't done the first one yet.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back