News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Rooney

Re: Ireland Trip Assistance?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »
Wonderful historical dialogue!Carne must,also, be special since Engh has lovingly aligned himself; or,as every course stated during my first("79) trip---"You are so very fortunate,Mr.Rooney, to be playing Ireland's finest course"--Baltray,Killarney,Ballybunion, etc.Should I be playing the less known----Portsalon, e.t. with unfamiliar International names ? Tim

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
Sean,

I think some recent redos ( Enniscrone) and new courses ( Carne---haven't been to Old Head or Doonbeg) are designed with the US golfer in mind. This isn't a problem. I just prefer the rough and tumble of N/P and Portsalon to this look. Although both of these courses have made some changes that could be perceived as pandering to the same audience.

Mayday,

Please tell me that you did not put Carne, which was built by Eddie Hackett and a bunch of farmers with Doonbeg which was built by Greg Norman and Kiawah Development Corp in the same sentence. ???

Jay Flemma

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
I'd do Carne, Enniscrone, and Connemara.

Bring rain gear and a copy or Tom Coyne's "A Course Called Ireland."  He has a number of great pubs in there.  Remember that last year Ireland got over 30 consecutive days of rain!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

mike_malone

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »
 Mr. Sweeney,

It isn't the cost of construction, it's the routing that tries to accentuate the drama of the dunes and the views.

Rory,

That is a very thoughful post about Enniscrone. I'll have to reconsider. Is one allowed to admit a mistake on this site?
AKA Mayday

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »
Mike:

No need.  Its a special group of people in Enniscrone and I knew you would appreciate their story. 

Tim Rooney

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 10:36:42 PM »
Jay, thanks for 'Irish' book of answers(pubs,etc.)! Forward any additional anecdotes? Tim Rooney

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back