News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Alexander

New year - new courses?
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I was wondering which new courses everyone is looking forward to in 2010.

Joel Zuckerman

Re: New year - new courses?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »
I'll give you a clue as to what many DG members are salivating over:

It begins with an 'O,' ends with a 'D,' and isn't Old Head!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »
- Old Macdonald

- Hunstman Springs, ID

- The Prarie Club, NE

I have all 4 5/9 on the docket for this summer - Stoked!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:54:49 AM by Rob Rigg »

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:26:55 PM »
Blue Devil here in Calgary if it opens this season, haven't found much info about it yet

and Old Macdonald in November

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:50:18 PM »
New as in just built or new as in new to us given we haven't played them yet?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
Blue Devil?  Now there's a name.  Whose is that?

I am interested to hear the feedback on The Prairie Club.  There is some sentiment that any architect looks like a genius in the Sand Hills.  [Any architect but one, anyway.]  I am curious to see what level these new courses will be at, and how it will impact the perception of the original and of Ballyneal.

I don't know if Bill Coore's course in China will open in 2010 or not, but of course I'm interested to see Lost Farm ... not least because it means I will finally get back to play my own course next door.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 08:01:31 PM »
There is some sentiment that any architect looks like a genius in the Sand Hills.  [Any architect but one, anyway.] 

as my kids would say:  "That's a burn!" ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
Tom,

Don't know the status of the project - or much at all about it, really - but, Blue Devil is designed by my friend, Wade Horrocks, and his partner Gary Browning. Wade and Gary are golf course designers based in Calgary.
jeffmingay.com

Ben Sims

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:06:37 PM »
I am interested to hear the feedback on The Prairie Club.  There is some sentiment that any architect looks like a genius in the Sand Hills.  [Any architect but one, anyway.]  I am curious to see what level these new courses will be at, and how it will impact the perception of the original and of Ballyneal.

Tom,

You make an interesting point.  That is, anything less than an amazing effort--on those sites--will be considered unrealized.  I hope the rumors of generic(in reference to the Pines course) and unwalkable (in reference to the Dunes course) are overstated.   I think there are a few of us younger guys that looked into membership and passed based on those rumors and--more notably--the public aspect of the project.

Simply put, Prairie Club is a welcome addition to the midwest "cowboy" links.  But it has a huge potential to live up to.  And I think that's going to be tough.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:09:31 PM »
Ben:

I don't know if it will be tough, or not.  I'm interested to find out.

I did lay out another course in that region and I am hopeful that The Prairie Club will be successful so that my friend there will consider building it.  As of right now, it's dead in the water, but you never know.

paul cowley

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 08:13:01 PM »
I have a course with Davis and Mark Love opening this month in Cabo San Lucas, Baja, Mex...'the Dunes Course' at Diamante Cabo San Lucas.

I /we have another course that will open this fall....'Black Jack's Crossing', at Lajitas Resort and Spa....which is in the Big Bend area of West Texas.
It's a Lanny Wadkins Design Group effort....with Forrest Fezler's construction group on board as well.

Both of these courses should fare very well if enough people can find or get to them.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »
  I think there are a few of us younger guys that looked into membership and passed based on those rumors and--more notably--the public aspect of the project.

Ahoy Polloi where did you come from a scotch ad? ;D

Ben Sims

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »
  I think there are a few of us younger guys that looked into membership and passed based on those rumors and--more notably--the public aspect of the project.

I confess, I even impressed myself with that one.

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »

I confess, I even impressed myself with that one.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.' He was a funny guy.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 08:52:26 PM »

To clarify, I meant that I could play it without becoming a member.... 8)

Jason Hines

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 10:58:33 PM »
Isn’t Brother Brauer’s Firekeeper north of Topeka opening this year as well?  I too am very excited to see the Prairie Club and am rooting for their success.  I think it will only fuel more and more…
IMHO the best part about the Prairie Club out of the gate is their model for membership and public play, will be interesting to see how it works.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:04:25 PM by Jason Hines »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »
Hickory Stick, RTJ2, Lewiston, NY...I've posted this a dozen times already on other threads and will post it a dozen more if necessary.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 11:14:25 PM »
Hickory Stick, RTJ2, Lewiston, NY...I've posted this a dozen times already on other threads and will post it a dozen more if necessary.

What's the status of Hickory Stick, Ron?  Is there a website up yet?

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 11:51:40 PM »
Did everyone forget about the Dormie Club in Pinehurst, NC?... Its only amazing!

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 12:27:11 AM »
The Patriot GC just outside of Tulsa, OK.  The Patriot is a RTJ II design with Jay Blasi (Chambers Bay) as lead architect.  Here is a link to the website.  http://www.patriotgolfclub.com/.  I believe they will open June 1.

Mark Alexander

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
Apart from a few notable entries, it seems pickings are thin on the ground, which is probably to be expected.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »

The new and as of now unnamed course at Predator Ridge in Vernon, BC, will open in July. It is a Doug Carrick design. I walked it a few times last fall and it looks interesting, but certainly different from the remaining course, designed by Les Furber in the late 80s / early 90s.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 07:02:13 PM »
Did everyone forget about the Dormie Club in Pinehurst, NC?... Its only amazing!

Not me.  It's the one I'm hoping to see in 2010.

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 07:06:06 PM »
Cabot Links
Bay of Dreams
Lost Farm
Dormie Club
El Boqueron!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sean Leary

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »

The new and as of now unnamed course at Predator Ridge in Vernon, BC, will open in July. It is a Doug Carrick design. I walked it a few times last fall and it looks interesting, but certainly different from the remaining course, designed by Les Furber in the late 80s / early 90s.

Did they redo the one 9 and add another 9? I think I have that right. Where is the new nine?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back