News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will MacEwen

Re: The easiest holes in championsip golf.
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 01:05:16 AM »
Fair enough Jeff - I forgot that they moved the tee up that day.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 01:21:19 AM »
I bet the scoring average relative to par at Riviera #1 is low.

18 TOC is probably on the list. 

Kenny Baer

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 01:58:41 PM »

Again...I love PB 7, but it is heavily critisized at the majors. Without wind it does lay down. I have posted in the past my favorite back to back holes are PB 7 and 8. Ian Woosnan"s comment about it being a practice hole comes to mind.

Anthony

I have never heard #7 at Pebble Beach critized; it is one of the 5 most famous holes in all of golf.  I think this is the ol "Some people say"  Tell us where you have heard #7 at Pebble as not being good enough for Major Champ golf.

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »
With regards to the 18th at St Andrews, does anyone else think we are getting to the point where it should be a par 3, at least for the Open ? Forget the fact that its the Old Course and its history and all that, does anyone else not think that at least some of the pro's would look at it in a different light.

Niall

JESII

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »
Niall,

The other shorter par fours seem to be driven with more regularity in The Open, no? #9, #10 or #12? Or am I mistaken?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »

Again...I love PB 7, but it is heavily critisized at the majors. Without wind it does lay down. I have posted in the past my favorite back to back holes are PB 7 and 8. Ian Woosnan"s comment about it being a practice hole comes to mind.

Anthony

I have never heard #7 at Pebble Beach critized; it is one of the 5 most famous holes in all of golf.  I think this is the ol "Some people say"  Tell us where you have heard #7 at Pebble as not being good enough for Major Champ golf.

Kenny,

Ian Woosnam for one. Called it a practice hole. Again for the sake of discussion it is the shortest hole in all of major championship and without the wind it is easy. It is always mentioned when tournaments are there.

Anthony

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »
Jim

I think you are right. Most pros seem to go for hitting a 3 wood to the left side of the green and look to get down in two for their "regulation" birdie. I just think that if the hole was a par 3 it may play with their minds and encourage them to go for the green.

On another thread recently I referred to Hogan on his one visit to the Open at Carnoustie laying up every day at the long par 3 16th and managing to get his par every day. That to me shows how disciplined Hogan was but I bet pretty well most of his competitors went for the green and ended up with a bogey on at least one or two of the days.

I think you could do something similiar at 18th TOC which would be much more interesting in seeing the pro's bunt a 3 wood into the middle of a 200 yard wide fairway and still have a short chip and run for a birdie.

Niall

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »

Anthony

Kenny,

Ian Woosnam for one. Called it a practice hole. Again for the sake of discussion it is the shortest hole in all of major championship and without the wind it is easy. It is always mentioned when tournaments are there.

Anthony

The "Postage Stamp" at Troon is about the same length and no one ever complains about it. 

Playing #7 at Pebble in a strong wind, typically right to left, can destroy a scorecard.  Tom Kite chipped in for 2 in 1992 (?) and pcked up two shots on the field.

Everybody in the field in a major plays every hole.  Those "easy" looking holes can play games with their heads.  That's why the USGA has been moving up the tees to create short par 4s like at Torrey Pines and Oakmont.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »
no
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Philippe Binette

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 08:44:48 PM »
the 18th at the Old Course is 365 yards,

no wind, very few will hit the green... that was my surprise when I was there, I was remembering pros hitting the ball 50 or 60 yards past the road... the road is like 250 from the tee !!!...

Ask Doug Sanders if it should be a par 3, or if it's an easy hole....
with a 1 shot lead a 60 yard pitch over the valley of sin could be one of the hardest shots in golf.... hit it 25 feet past you have a slick downhill putt, 25 feet short, you're almost guaranteed a 3 putt... unless you are Constantino Rocca

archie_struthers

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 10:23:32 PM »
 ??? 8) ???

Sully just showing my age....played Pebble in 1992  and two was played as a par five....didn't realize the par had been changed from 5 to 4   

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 05:21:32 AM »
I looked to TOC because they seem to crazy low sores there.  At first I thought TOC's 9th has to be the easiest hole relative to par.  Looking at S Macpherson's book suggests that the 5th or 18th are even easier to par.  Indeed, the 5th seems to be the easiest looking back at to 1978. 

'78 4.75
'84 4.61
'90 4.61
'95 4.88
'00 4.58
'05 4.62

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kyle Harris

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 05:46:20 AM »
I don't understand the premise.

A hole in a tournament is only as easy as the rest of the field makes it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back