News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Rooney

Ireland Trip Assistance?
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:50:19 AM »
I will be arriving early for a (June)arranged golf trip,and ask assistance regarding a (3)day nomadic tour of the Northwest.Which of the following should be visited(9 hcp):Ballyliffin(Old/Glashedy;Rosapenna(Morris-Ruddy/Sandy Hills);Carne(18+Engh 9);Enniscrone.Suggestions regarding 'native' frequented taverns,food,traditional music and 'Must See' locations are most welcome. Many Thanks!

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Ireland Trip Assistance?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:58:42 AM »
Tim, where are you going after your "free time?"  There may be a few other options, depending on where you go next.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Rooney

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:24:33 AM »
Tommy, will return to Shannon Airport for formal tour commencement gathering.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
I will be arriving early for a (June)arranged golf trip,and ask assistance regarding a (3)day nomadic tour of the Northwest.Which of the following should be visited(9 hcp):Ballyliffin(Old/Glashedy;Rosapenna(Morris-Ruddy/Sandy Hills);Carne(18+Engh 9);Enniscrone.Suggestions regarding 'native' frequented taverns,food,traditional music and 'Must See' locations are most welcome. Many Thanks!

Tim,
That's not a 3 day trip (even for a crazy nomad)
Carne's nowhere near Ballyliffin, with a lot of good stuff in between.

In three days,
IF starting w/ Ballyliffin(and not including Northern Ireland), I'd play  
Ballyliffin New and Old----Day One.
Portsalon and Tom Morris Rossapenna Old (God only knows what back eight/nine they're playing now) ---Day 2
Rossapenna New then  Narin/ Portnoo--Day Three

Donegal, Carne, Inniscrone, and Strandhill ,Sligo are excellent, but would be good additions only if eliminating Ballyliffin and/or Rossapena.
Portsalon and Narin/Portnoo are too good to skip, but too far out of the way unless pairing with others.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:00:26 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »
 Where are you coming from in Ireland? If from the south I would try some combination of Sligo, Enniscrone, and Strandhill.Then head for N/P Portsalon and Rosapenna.
AKA Mayday

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »
Tim,

If you are starting at Shannon and going back to Shannon for the start of your arranged trip, a couple of suggestions. Ballyliffin is a big trip to get to and from in three days if you are trying to play as much as you can. Carne and Enniscrone are both great fun and amazing to see the dunes they run over and around. Donegal and Sligo are both good but not as dramatic. Rosapenna Old is turn back the clock classic (at least it was when I was there) as the Ruddy course was only under construction.

Have a great trip!

Greg

Tim Rooney

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »
Guys, kindly keep suggestions coming?This is my third Ireland trip, having played the more storied courses(Rosses Pt., Ballybunion,etc.), hence the sojourn to the less visited Northwest.I am flexible(retired) regarding (3) or (4) additional golf days, adding an extra day retracing my Cnty Leitrim roots-------Shannon arrival/Dublin departure.I ask your direction selecting from researched/mentioned list, unless a forgotten Plum---------Have no interest playing a 5,500 yd. course to visualize another hillside.Love the people,music and experience!!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:22:58 PM »
Go to Carne and stay in Belmullet and play it 3 days in a row, 36 each day! Some of the the most dramatic dunes you will see in the world-trluly one of the great cult courses, kind of like a Cruden Bay-some sporty holes but it truly is in the wild and wooly reaches of Mayo.
                                                                                   Wish you well,    Jack

Tim Rooney

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »
Is Faldo's Ballyliffin endorsement worthy of this "Maine---can't get there from here" hassle trip,coupled w/Rosapenna or simply, visit Enniscrone & Carne w/'Lovely Leitrim' a nearby excursion?Has the Bartra Island(Faldo) course spaded holy ground?Thanks

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 11:14:01 PM »
 What kind of golf do you like? If it is "tourist" golf go with Enniscrone and Carne. If it is a little quirkier go with Portsalon and N/P. My preference is for quirkier. This also applies to the B+B's and pubs.
AKA Mayday

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 04:33:39 AM »
Tim

I based myself in Ballina for 4 days and played both Carne and Enniscrone alternating days. Carne turned out to be the favorite of my trip.

I know mike said tourist golf but I was the only tourist there in August and I felt it was way off the beaten path. Def no golf buses out there unlike Bally and lahinch.

Brad

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 05:12:48 AM »
It does seem rather odd to drive from Shannon up to the Portsalon area when Enniscrone and Carne are between the two destinations.  I spose it depends on if you mind windshield time while on holiday.  There is less of it going to Enniscrone and Carne and of course this leaves more time for golf.  If you do decide to play Carne make sure to spend a night there.  Its a neat little town on the edge of nowhere.  That said, I think Enniscrone has improved dramatically in recent years and the course is preferable to Carne - IMO.  Neither course should be missed.  Leave the north for a more convenient opportunity. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jim McCann

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 06:58:37 AM »
Three days in north west Ireland should begin with Carne and Enniscrone, move onto the
two Rosapenna courses then end with the two Ballyliffin tracks.

If a fourth day is available, play Sligo and Donegal on day 2 before moving on to Downings.

If a 5th day were possible, play Narin & Portnoo and Cruit Island after Rosses Point and Murvagh.

That's an awful lot of golf to cram in during a very short three/four/five day break...   

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 11:45:41 AM »
Tim, check your e-mail

Tim Rooney

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 01:58:09 PM »
Guys, would a Belfast arrival be preferred for this pilgramage or Ballyliffin deferred another visit?Enjoy quirky 'Irish' people,pubs,music and beauty, however, quirky golf in moderation. Tim

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »
Shannon arrival/Dublin departure.I ask your direction selecting from researched/mentioned list, unless a forgotten Plum

Easiest route with maximum golf is Carne/Enniscrone/Sligo in that order and direction from Shannon to Dublin.  Hackett - Hackett/Steel - Colt is a nice mix of styles, detailing and old/new.

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 11:07:16 PM »
Guys, would a Belfast arrival be preferred for this pilgramage or Ballyliffin deferred another visit?Enjoy quirky 'Irish' people,pubs,music and beauty, however, quirky golf in moderation. Tim

Tim,
arrive Belfast and you options improve dramatically.
work your way down to Shannon with the above suggestions.
I'd still probably skip Ballyliffin as it's in the wrong direction if you've only got 3 days-but if you do play there at least there are 2 courses
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 09:12:13 AM »
When Mike says "tourist golf" I think he means "really outstanding links golf in a beautiful setting." 
If 2010 is anything like 2009, you won't be seeing too many tourists especially as you get away from the southwest and Antrim coasts.

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »
 Rory is right about "tourist" golf. It is designed to awe Americans.
AKA Mayday

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
Rory is right about "tourist" golf. It is designed to awe Americans.

Mayday

What are you on about?  All the best courses in Ireland are tourista haunts.  These are well designed and usually beautiful courses.  There is no escaping it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Martin Toal

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 10:37:34 AM »
I am from Northern Ireland (although now in England), and Belfast does make things a bit easier.

There are two airports with Belfast in their name - Belfast City, which as its name suggests is close to the city centre, and Belfast International, which is about 15 miles west near Antrim. All things being equal, the latter is best for a trip west.

In either case, you can get to Derry (on the border with Donegal in the ROI) in less than 2 hours. About half that is motorway (interstate) and the rest single carriageway.

I used to work in Derry and would go over to Ballyliffin on a summer evening for a game. Could start at 6pm and get round in the long evenings when it does not get too dark for golf until after 10pm.

Arrival in Belfast also opens up Royal Portrush, Castlerock and Portstewart, or in the other direction, RCD.

mike_malone

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »
 Sean,

I think some recent redos ( Enniscrone) and new courses ( Carne---haven't been to Old Head or Doonbeg) are designed with the US golfer in mind. This isn't a problem. I just prefer the rough and tumble of N/P and Portsalon to this look. Although both of these courses have made some changes that could be perceived as pandering to the same audience.
AKA Mayday

jeffwarne

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
Sean,

I think some recent redos ( Enniscrone) and new courses ( Carne---haven't been to Old Head or Doonbeg) are designed with the US golfer in mind. This isn't a problem. I just prefer the rough and tumble of N/P and Portsalon to this look. Although both of these courses have made some changes that could be perceived as pandering to the same audience.

Mike,
I agree with you on enjoying the old look, although I wouldn't call the old look" rough and tumble". I'd call it simpler.(sheep and cow fences, less dramatic dunes, minimal maintenance)
I'd describe the Ruddy course at Rossapena and the new Machrahanish dunes as "rough and tumble"---fun occasionally, but not for steady diet.

N/P was one of my favorite courses when I visited in '97. I hope after the recent renovations that's still the case when I revisit this summer.
Even then the course had a pretty dedicated following of tourists and plenty of caravans 8)(mainly German)

I've included a few way off the beaten path this trip to ensure i still see some simpler courses in incredible settings (Northwest, Dunfanaghy which I've not seen, and Connemara Isles and Mulranny-two 9 holers which I have seen)
Portsalon is also one of my favorites ,but I've only seen the recent version '(07)
What makes you say Carne is designed with the US golfer in mind?  Eddie Hackett did what he's always done-made use of a site with minimal cost and earth moving. This just happened to be a dramatic site.

I think the Irish,( like any other people) are always trying to improve their courses.
It happens that the tourism dollars finance that and yes many are American, but I'd say they are improving their courses to attract local and visiting Irish as well.

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 12:19:34 PM »
Sean,

Mayday

I think your use of the word "tourism" is misapplied unless you mean that touristas have provided the get up and go in terms of wanting their money. This effect may or not have influenced what changes were made at Enniscrone for instance.  Personally, I think whereever money is provided (no matter the source) than change will occur.  Your Carne example is odd because I believe that more money should have been invested to get a better end product.  Its a little too rough and ready (product of the severe landscape) for my tastes, but still very enjoyable. 

Ciao

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
Mike, you forgot the part about "really outstanding links golf" :-)  

We have discussed this before and I respect your perspective.  This is all subjective.  I do disagree with one point:  If you saw the statistics on the amount of outside play that comes to Enniscrone, I think you would agree that the club did not go up into the big dunes for 2-4 and 14-16 for the American golfer. Despite the high regard in which most hold Enniscrone, it gets relatively light tourist play.  I am confident that the lack of an international airport within 2.5 hours is the reason. What kept Eddie Hackett from going into those areas in the 1970's was, like with many of his courses in the more remote areas of Ireland, a lack of money.  Enniscrone has a fairly incredible history.  At one point in the 1960's the club was down to fewer than 20 members and through sheer will and a desire to spread the game throughout the western corner of Co. Sligo, it has grown to a very large local and country membership.  When the pro Charlie McGoldrick arrived, he and his wife Rita helped take things further by really promoting the game among local youth and kids whose families spent their summer holidays in the Village (the best example being Walker Cupper Niall Kearney).  As the club grew, it was able to do the things that Hackett would have done had the funds been available (though I will concede that his style might have been a bit different to Steele which is obvious when one compares Carne and Enniscrone). The reality is that Enniscrone is first and foremost a local club and it sees itself that way.  It is a great example of the old style of club development and has achieved what it has due to the hard work and dedication of its membership.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back