News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Admussen

Torrey Pines.... I should've listened
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »
Just got back from San Diego, we played Barona Creek, Torrey Pines North/South, and made the drive up to play Rustic Canyon.

As everyone on here said Torrey Pines is overpriced as well as overrated, reading all the posts on here I wasn't expecting a whole lot but even those expectations weren't met.

In general all the rounds were slow 4:45-5:15

If I had to rate them based on my overall experience it would be

Barona Creek
Rustic Canyon
Torrey Pines North
Torrey Pines South

Either way I was just happy to be golfing in December.Will post some pics soon!

Adam Clayman

Re: Torrey Pines.... I should've listened
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:03:04 PM »
How bout those Huskers?

Talk about works of lost art. Their defense finally has made me a fan of the whole team.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:10:10 PM »
How bout those Huskers?

Talk about works of lost art. Their defense finally has made me a fan of the whole team.

Oh My God Adam……. It has happened to you as well…….

Get out now while you still can!

Tony Weiler

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
Ryan, that's too bad.  I actually enjoyed the 98 I shot at Torrey South. 

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:35:35 AM »
I will happily play Torrey Pines South over hundreds of other courses.

While it's no mecca for GCA pontification, one can do worse...a LOT worse...

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
Ryan,

Sadly the ONLY public track within an hour of San Diego worth playing IMHO is Barona....All that great weather and so little golf!!! :-\
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:03:54 AM »
Just got back from San Diego, we played Barona Creek, Torrey Pines North/South, and made the drive up to play Rustic Canyon.

As everyone on here said Torrey Pines is overpriced as well as overrated, reading all the posts on here I wasn't expecting a whole lot but even those expectations weren't met.

In general all the rounds were slow 4:45-5:15

If I had to rate them based on my overall experience it would be

Barona Creek
Rustic Canyon
Torrey Pines North
Torrey Pines South

Either way I was just happy to be golfing in December.Will post some pics soon!

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you, Ryan. I was dissappointed twice, being that I went back a few years after playing both courses the first time to find that I still found the courses to be overrated.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 10:18:14 AM »

There is definitely a lot worse out there, but for $224 with a pull cart on a weekday, it is by far the most overpriced(unless you're a local) course I have ever played

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:24:27 AM »
Rustic Canyon

Ron Csigo

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 10:27:40 AM »

There is definitely a lot worse out there, but for $224 with a pull cart on a weekday, it is by far the most overpriced(unless you're a local) course I have ever played

WOW, $224 on a weekday! :o  Makes Bethpage Black look like a bargain. 

Ryan - Was the cost the same for the North course or slightly lower?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »

WOW, $224 on a weekday! :o  Makes Bethpage Black look like a bargain. 

Ryan - Was the cost the same for the North course or slightly lower?

The north was $145 with a pull cart, if I had to choose one to play again it would be the north, the green fees mentioned include the $40 booking fee they charge you over the phone.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »
Rustic Canyon looks like a really cool layout.  I like the bunkering.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
Ryan,

I had no idea Torrey was that expensive.  While I haven't played it, I've walked both courses and couldn't imagine paying much more than $60-70 to play either one.

Jon Heise

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
As everyone on here said Torrey Pines is overpriced as well as overrated

I loved it and would pay the ~$170 again no problem.  :)
I still like Greywalls better.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
Rustic Canyon looks like a really cool layout.  I like the bunkering.

Mark

Rustic Canyon was a lot of fun, the greens were crazy, and for $60 on the weekend you can't go wrong

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »
Ryan,

Question-If you were staying in Carlsbad and had 3 rounds to play, would you play all three at Barona (50 minutes) or hump it up to Rustic once (2 hours+?)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:04:06 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »
Probably 2 at Barona and one at Rustic still, we drove there on sunday and it wasn't bad, but can't imagine that drive when there is traffic

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 02:36:13 PM »
Am I reading this correctly that you place Barona ahead of Rustic, and TP North ahead of TP South?

Those are unique conclusions, provided you're talking about the golf course only.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Brad Huff

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »
Ryan,

I had no idea Torrey was that expensive.  While I haven't played it, I've walked both courses and couldn't imagine paying much more than $60-70 to play either one.

yeah so you should probably stay away from any DFW course on the weekend!!  It's $65 or greater to play almost anywhere here.  Don't get me started...

Tony Weiler

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »
I played it in 2004, and it was $105 to walk.  I'd pay that again in a second.  Now, $224, I'm not so sure. 

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
Am I reading this correctly that you place Barona ahead of Rustic, and TP North ahead of TP South?

Those are unique conclusions, provided you're talking about the golf course only.

The difference between north and south for me was purely price, I don't think south is $80ish better, and the pace of play was much better on the north, wouldn't play either course again though.

As for Rustic and Barona, I loved both courses, just had a better time at Barona, nothing more than personal preference.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »
Please remeber that Torrey South was redesigned to be a US Open course. If your game is not quite ready for a US Open venue you will indeed have a miserable time there. If however you feel that you can flight 5 irons to targets 200 yards in the distance you might actually find this a fun place to play. There is no middle ground, there are no sets of tees, not colored red, that the average golfer will enjoy playing from. That being said, there is a definite sense of place at Torrey, it is a wonderful place to spend 4.5 hours on a sunny So. Cal. day. Like the LPGA did this year, try a parasailing journey at the very south end of the course at the Glider Port for a mere $150; you will enjoy this experience and get to see the golf course too. The North Course is a pleasant place to play but not worth  over $100. If you want to drop big bucks and play an enjoyable round I would again recommend staying at the Rancho Santa Fe Inn and playing Ranch Santa Fe GC; a Max Behr course. Of course that could set you back over $600; but when you have dinner at nearby Mille Fluer, SD's best restaruant, you'll have something to brag about. The bottom line here is that SD is all about Resort Golf, which by nature is relatively easy; we did not make our reputation by punishing the 20 handicaps that want a break from the snow!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

rjsimper

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 10:27:47 AM »

Works for me, but I understood this thread to be about the quality of the course, not the value proposition. If we're talking value, that's an entirely different can of worms.

If you throw price out the window (which we should if discussing course quality) do you still put it behind the North course?

Damon Groves

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »
I agree with the dissapointment with Torrey North. The course is pretty much get on the tee and hit is far as you can and then depending on the yardage pull your next club. Not a lot of choices or strategy. The price at Torrey reflects the great deal San Diego County gives it's residents. They pay far less while the rest of us (I live in LA County) pay far more. LA County does have the same program.

I would place the courses in the following order....

1) Rustic Canyon
2) Barona
3) Torrey North
4) Torrey South

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 06:58:26 PM »
Barona Creek

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back