News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Hunt

Re: Golfweek Innaugural G, B & I Rankings
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 11:28:49 AM »
Loch Erne deserves a place on the modern list probably in the top half of it. In regards to the Irish parkland courses they seem heavy on the hype rather than highlighting the 'hidden gem's' which is among the best things this lists do. Never the less it seems like an interesting list that could provoke debate. The classic list does seem to a good bit stronger overall.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »

Yet again proving that these lists are just a total waste of time.

Proportional representation or any form based upon it leads to compromise, pleasing few and cause concern and hopefully just serious debate if we are lucky.

We can’t even understand let alone agree with each other on GCA.com, so why produce a list for the golfing public at large? Are we meant to be in awe for those responsible for a fudged compromise or congratulate them in producing a load of old rubbish? Then again we all have the right to our opinion – well only those who are deemed to meet the correct criteria.

So by showing their right to say what they feel – I say good for them, as for the list, it is well filed in the waste paper bin for posterity.

Melvyn   

They got a couple of things right, The Torrance and Kittocks are both in the first 40 modern courses.  They are often overlooked because of their neighbourhood!  Both should be ahead of the ****** Course.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 11:41:19 AM »
Golf World is usually accepted as the standard for GB&I rankings. Since 1982 Muirfield, Birkdale, RCD and Turnberry have occupied the top spot. The top 10 is fairly consistent;

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/upload/37984/attachments/top-100-golf-courses-since-1982.pdf

Apart from a small handfull of new courses there's no much to celebrate or seperate the moderns.
Cave Nil Vino

Cristian

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »
What's anyone's thought summary on the New Course at St. Andrews?  Is it a top 100 GBI?

I think it's a great course, often overlooked because of its older brother. Golf World Magazine used to rank it around no. 50 on their bi-annual top100 GB&I, but in the last edition it fell off the list completely.

Like TOC, TNC also was built on the same gently rolling terrain and also has some interesting huge double greens. Playing corridors seem a little bit narrower on most holes, except with some of the holes after the turn which are also the strongest on the course, together with the spectaculair par 3 9th. I have only played the course once though and don't remember every detail exactly, but I certainly was not underwhelmed and would like to hear from people having played it more recently. It's a pity, TNC is being discussed so little because of its high profile neighbours. Anyone seen a good photo report?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:56:21 AM by Cristian Willaert »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »
What's anyone's thought summary on the New Course at St. Andrews?  Is it a top 100 GBI?
I think it just about deserves a place Ron. An interesting poll would be New versus Jubillee, which is best? Quite a close call.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Bill Gayne

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »
Does the text in the magazine tell the criteria for ranking and who made up the panel? Did GW develop a panel of course rankers in GBI or is this the consensus of the current US centric panel?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 12:43:11 PM »
Yet again proving that these lists are just a total waste of time.
Proportional representation or any form based upon it leads to compromise, pleasing few and cause concern and hopefully just serious debate if we are lucky.
We can’t even understand let alone agree with each other on GCA.com, so why produce a list for the golfing public at large? Are we meant to be in awe for those responsible for a fudged compromise or congratulate them in producing a load of old rubbish? Then again we all have the right to our opinion – well only those who are deemed to meet the correct criteria.
So by showing their right to say what they feel – I say good for them, as for the list, it is well filed in the waste paper bin for posterity.

Melvyn   

MM,

Last time I walked into a pub bar and heard anyone arguing about the Forest of Arden, it was two ancient gents, and they were reliving their Battle of the Bulge experiences.  ;)

It's a no lose situation for the GB&I courses, i.e., more exposure, more people talkiing, more people showing up to play.

Not only that, it expands the horizon for Golfweek.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
Bill,

It just says that their team of raters followed their "standard methodology"...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »
It sure did not take Castle Stuart long to be recognized for the wonderful course it is.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 01:51:10 PM »
I prefer the New Course to the Jubilee but neither is kept in good shape, often enough. Although the past summer I thought the New was in better condition than the Old.
The Thursday Club that I used to play in gives you an extra stroke if you play the New over the Old.

Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »
How great is it to see The Addington in the top 40?! No praise is too high.

Jud_T

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
Scott,

The Addington is very high up on my TO DO list....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Scott Warren

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 03:46:18 PM »
It's a hell of a place, Jud.

Was there only 40 courses ranked for each category? Or do we have 10 of each to come?

James Boon

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
The one thing which stands out for me on these lists is that I'd happily travel for a game at any of the Classic List but probably only about 10 of the Modern List attract my interest. What do we have to do to get C&C or Tom Doak to set up an office over here...  ;)

Also, shouldn't Wentworth West now be moved across to the Modern List  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »
Does anyone who has played RND agree with it as #35 Classic?

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 05:41:47 PM »

I can think of many lists Wentworth West could be moved to, but a Top 40 list wouldn't be one of them.

Jud_T

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 07:21:36 PM »
Scott,

40 only for each

Scott Warren

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 07:41:28 PM »
Thanks Jud.

19 of the Classic 40 are in England. Heartening. Come to the big country, touristkas, you'll like it plenty, I promise!!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 10:30:33 PM »

I can think of many lists Wentworth West could be moved to, but a Top 40 list wouldn't be one of them.

Andrew

Is it possibly the most "underwhelming" Colt course you've played ?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »
The one thing which stands out for me on these lists is that I'd happily travel for a game at any of the Classic List but probably only about 10 of the Modern List attract my interest.

James

I echo that sentiment

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2010, 12:28:59 AM »

Andrew

Is it possibly the most "underwhelming" Colt course you've played ?

Is it a Colt course anymore ?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2010, 06:23:04 AM »
Scott - RND is way over rated it fell out of the GW top 100 a few years back. Lots of history and a few very good holes but lots of flat uninspiring holes.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2010, 06:27:21 AM »
Jud - can you kindly change the title to GB&I. Our country is Great Britain the other one is Ireland, also for others it's not GBI either!
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2010, 06:39:17 AM »
Scott - RND is way over rated it fell out of the GW top 100 a few years back. Lots of history and a few very good holes but lots of flat uninspiring holes.

Chappers

You and I agree about RND.  Its one of those courses which doesn't do a lot for me, but I don't hate it.  I am astonished that Doak could give it the same score as Deal and Saunton and higher than Burnham.  IMO, there is no contest between these four with RND being a very poor second cousin.  I don't care for the opening/closing nor the rushes holes.  That said, if one likes the rushes (and I will admit that they are a unique hazard), I think their opinion of the course will be much higher than mine.  Even with the dissapointing golf, I have a lot of time for the club.  They seem to have their heads screwed on right. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jim McCann

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »
How Wallasey, RND and Portstewart (Strand) can make the Top 40 Classic list (26 of which I've played)
at the expense of Hillside, Formby and Saunton (East) beats me!

And how a Modern list (25 of which I've played) can fail to include either of the two Archerfield courses
or the magnificent Spey Valley leaves me even more bewildered!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back