News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Norbert P

Re: Bill Powell, R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:35:15 AM »

Thanks David.  Terrific story.  Salute.   I just ordered the book Uneven Lies a few days ago. I hope it has a story about Bill.

There's another story about an Afro-American in Louisiana, forget his name, that was hired to build a golf course, but once it was opened, he never was allowed to play it.  We've had some screwy racial practices in this country.  Hats off to these men for perservering.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mark Hissey

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:25:40 PM »
Bill Powell was a truly great man. Against unbearable odds he built a golf course because he loved the game so much. What discipline, what fortitude, what passion.

His daughter Renee will keep his memory alive. She is passionate about it, and so she should be. She is a wonderful person also.

Clearview is a very special golf course, and the architecture barely plays a role in it.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 03:24:07 AM »
I just scrolled down to this thread, after posting an RIP of another GCA that passed away today. 

Mr. Powell certainly has a well deserved place in the history of golf and GCA, if only his one 'hand made' golf course built against all odds.  The shear determination to build a golf course under the conditions he did bespeaks of the kind of passion the desire to create a golf venue can inspire.  Some of us dream it, guys like Mr. Powell do it.  RIP
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back